PDA

View Full Version : Buying CA-Compliant Rifles Online

GettoPhilosopher
09-06-2010, 7:32 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here. I did my due diligence and searched around for a thread answering this question, but so far have been unable to locate anything.

With my choices for firearms purchases being somewhat limited and costly around here, I've been looking into purchasing online. I've done the research, and I believe I get the pros and cons--finding a FFL that'll do the transfer for a reasonable fee, figuring out if they'll charge tax or if you're going to voluntarily, factoring in the different costs to see if it's worth it or not, etc. What I've yet to find an answer on is how do I find or create CA-compliant rifles?

Good example: I'm looking at picking up a Microtech STG-556. I can find them at Budsgunshop for $982 or less with free shipping. Add in $75 for DROS and fees, that's still significantly cheaper than the $1300 + tax + DROS at my local store. Only problem....the one at my local store already has a BB installed. The one online doesn't, and from what I've heard you're just not going to get a company to make a rifle CA compliant for you (I assume for liability reasons as much as anything).

So what do you do when you want to purchase a complete firearm from out of state, but need to get it CA compliant first? When purchasing from a retailer? When buying online used?

Thanks!

jesse3533
09-06-2010, 7:39 PM
alot of the time you have to contact the seller directly and ask if they'll send it with a mag lock pre installed. if they don't sell them, sometimes if there cool you can mail them one then have them install before shipping it. Or ask if they will ship it dissasembled. fricking hoops huh? good luck.

GettoPhilosopher
09-06-2010, 7:47 PM
alot of the time you have to contact the seller directly and ask if they'll send it with a mag lock pre installed. if they don't sell them, sometimes if there cool you can mail them one then have them install before shipping it. Or ask if they will ship it dissasembled. fricking hoops huh? good luck.

I've emailed a few sites and consistently been told "Uh....we don't do that". What's the legality of shipping it disassembled?

IsaacGlass
09-06-2010, 8:00 PM
How did you figure $75 for out of state transfers and DROS? Most CA FFL I know will tax you.

meangreen46
09-06-2010, 8:27 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here. I did my due diligence and searched around for a thread answering this question, but so far have been unable to locate anything.

With my choices for firearms purchases being somewhat limited and costly around here, I've been looking into purchasing online. I've done the research, and I believe I get the pros and cons--finding a FFL that'll do the transfer for a reasonable fee, figuring out if they'll charge tax or if you're going to voluntarily, factoring in the different costs to see if it's worth it or not, etc. What I've yet to find an answer on is how do I find or create CA-compliant rifles?

Good example: I'm looking at picking up a Microtech STG-556. I can find them at Budsgunshop for $982 or less with free shipping. Add in $75 for DROS and fees, that's still significantly cheaper than the $1300 + tax + DROS at my local store. Only problem....the one at my local store already has a BB installed. The one online doesn't, and from what I've heard you're just not going to get a company to make a rifle CA compliant for you (I assume for liability reasons as much as anything).

So what do you do when you want to purchase a complete firearm from out of state, but need to get it CA compliant first? When purchasing from a retailer? When buying online used?

Thanks!

You're still gonna pay tax on the gun in Cali unless you bought it in Cali. (Northern Cali to Southern Cali or vice versa)

Sky_DiveR
09-06-2010, 8:29 PM
Have your rifle sent to a middleman outside of KA that will install the BB and then ship the rifle to your FFL within KA with the grip removed. Adds another ~$50-$65 but what are ya gonna do?

IronColt
09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
try Atlantic firearms, they can add the BB inhouse before shipping.

Jayruta
09-07-2010, 1:09 AM
Go to bottom of the forum's page and find a nice CA friendly vendor that will sell one CA neutered. Or contact the CA friendly FFL middleman who posts on this site (I forget their Calguns Handle) and he will Neuter it and have it transferred to your local FFL for a small cost.

Good luck with your purchase!!

Quiet
09-07-2010, 3:55 AM

Thanks!

Ship it to a middle-man FFL, who will modify it to be CA legal then ship it to a CA FFL dealer.

Price of firearm + shipping + cost of CA legal compliance parts + middle-man FFL fee + shipping + transfer fee + DROS + CA "use" tax.

Vs.

Price of firearm + sales tax + DROS.

glockwise2000
09-07-2010, 5:41 AM
Buds from what I know does not deliver semi-auto rifles or shotguns to Cali.

It is better to buy locally and help those local FFL afloat from their business. With the cost of going to a middle man, you will end up just saving a few bucks.

Where are you located? We could probably tell you a close FFL who would not hoard.

GettoPhilosopher
09-11-2010, 9:43 PM
I'm in SoCal, and here's my thing...if the price difference is close, I'd totally buy from a local shop rather than online. However, some of the firearms I'm looking for are a few hundred dollars cheaper online.

Like I said, right now I'm specifically looking at the MSAR STG-556. $1400 at my local shop + Tax + DROS. $982 with free shipping + DROS + Transfer Fee at BudsGunShop (if I could ship through a middleman), and even if they charge tax it wouldn't be more than $1400+tax. Even RatWorxUSA has a CA compliant MSAR for $1220. Once again, even if I have to pay tax I can get it from them for about $100-$130 cheaper. If I find a FFL that doesn't charge tax, that number goes up to ~$250. At that rate, I'd buy online.

What's the legality of shipping disassembled? I've read about people having the SN'ed part shipped to a FFL, but the rest of the gun shipped to them personally, and then installing the BB themselves. What's up with that?