PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Switchblock

billdoodoo
09-06-2010, 5:20 PM
Sorry but I really need the answer to these questions so that I can determine the length of the switchblock barrel that I need to buy.

1. Will a 10.5 switchblock barrel fit into a VLTOR CASV-M rail? I see in this pic that it fits into a CASV-EL:
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/waway233/switchblockinaCASV-EL.jpg

I wonder if it would be the same if I use a CASV-M which doesn't have an opening for a front sight base. I don't mind if I won't be able to have access to change the settings of the switchblock since I would run it suppressed all the time.

2. Assuming that a 10.5 switchblock barrel fits a CASV-M, will I be able to use the AAC Ranger 2 suppressor? The issue that's in my head is that the AAC Ranger 2 is 6" in length but only adds 4.2" to barrel length. That means it will sit behind the threaded area of the barrel by 1.3" or 1.8"(not sure which is accurate, my math is awful lol). I'm wondering if the space between the switchblock and the barrel thread would be enough for that 1.3"/1.8" area (of the AAC Ranger 2 that goes beyond the barrel thread) to occupy.

What I'm trying to do is build the shortest AR15 possible with a switchblock barrel and have that "no space between the rail and the suppressor" look. I'm quite fixed on using the VLTOR CASV-M since it is the only rail that I know will fit a suppressor with a 1.5" diameter.
Any input regarding these questions will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

billdoodoo
09-07-2010, 8:07 AM
anyone?

technique
09-07-2010, 8:27 AM
Page not found...that's what your link says.

Sounds like a bad idea though.

ar15barrels
09-07-2010, 8:32 AM
A 10.5" barrel will only have about 1.2" of barrel past the gas block seat and that's including 5/8" of threads.
What you need to know is the exact length of the switchblock to figure out how much the can will slide back over the gas block seat.
There could possibly be about 7/8" of gas block seat available to slip back over if the switchblock were only 1" long as the gas block seat is typically 1.875" long.
Noveske sometimes makes their gas block seats shorter when they know a short gas block will be used on the barrel.

billdoodoo
09-07-2010, 8:56 AM
technique- fixed the link, sorry about that

Randall- correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the switchblock serve as the gas blocks also? does that mean more space if there's no extra gas block? or do i still need a gas block plus the switchblock?

ar15barrels
09-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Randall- correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the switchblock serve as the gas blocks also? does that mean more space if there's no extra gas block? or do i still need a gas block plus the switchblock?

The switchblock IS the gas block.