PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 FMJ vs SP?

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 6:13 PM
Been trying to do some research on these two (looked at HP too, but ruled it out after seeing a lot of reviews saying it was basically identical to the FMJ).

Does anyone have any experience with the soft point 7.62x39 rounds from Wolf? How is its effectiveness for HD or putting down a zombie compared to the Yugo M67 rounds, which are said to Yaw a lot sooner than the older Russian stuff?

-Don

Jpach
09-06-2010, 6:33 PM
Look up the 7.62x39 military classic HP performance. That **** fragments. I want some!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/MTMilitiaman/Guns/AKtests1.jpg
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2338/ulyhp0hc.jpg

Jpach
09-06-2010, 6:34 PM
And exit wound on a hog that this kid shot with the x39 military classic

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/nathan_068/HPIM1263.jpg

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 6:37 PM
Interesting. That's the HP that I was looking at, but missed the note that it was the HP from the Military Classic line from Wolf and not a regular HP that's just been relabeled for marketing.

WTSGDYBBR
09-06-2010, 6:48 PM
My understanding a FMJ will do a nice in and out with some bad damage . A JHP will make a nice enter hole and a huge blow out hole. A soft point is for animals and my understanding it fragments more on impact. Now if your looking for Zombie ammo your looking for the wrong stuff. You need to find your self some steel core ap ammo like they used in the north hollywood shoot out. It is made by Norco and it is banned from being imported in the us but not illegal to own. They come in 550 round spam cans runs from 250 to 1 buck a round depending who is selling it. You can also find it in yellow or silver boxs market Steal Core make sure its not the green boxs that have steal shells .
This is the stuff that was sold on here before best stuff around. Norco Steal Core AMMO <<<
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=200955

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 6:50 PM
I am guessing you don't use JHP on animals for the reasons in the picture above, since it just blows them apart basically, which is not what most hunters want?

!@#$
09-06-2010, 7:09 PM
the uly 124 grain 8M3 jhp used in the military classic line is about the best SD round you will find in that caliber.

the norinco "steel core" used mild steel as a cost savings. very slightly better penetration than any regular 762x39 load. the spam can ammo is corrosive but the 20rd box ammo is not. it's a waste of money IMO. the chinese 762 was a bit more accurate than the russian stuff but not worth the increase in cost.

here is some good info om the comblock rounds.
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=310

Dragunov
09-06-2010, 8:27 PM
Been trying to do some research on these two (looked at HP too, but ruled it out after seeing a lot of reviews saying it was basically identical to the FMJ).

Does anyone have any experience with the soft point 7.62x39 rounds from Wolf? How is its effectiveness for HD or putting down a zombie compared to the Yugo M67 rounds, which are said to Yaw a lot sooner than the older Russian stuff?

-Don Ive killed white tail with M67. Ummmmm, it's more than adequate, but you need a head shot unless you want to lose all the ribs. The Yugo M67 is the most destructive (and accurate) ammo I've ever used in X39.

I would NOT want to be shot with ANY round, but the thought of a Yugo round going through an appendage just gives me the creeps after seeing what it does to a 200lb deer. It would make a big mess out of a "Zombie".

ir0nclash86
09-06-2010, 8:58 PM
My understanding a FMJ will do a nice in and out with some bad damage . A JHP will make a nice enter hole and a huge blow out hole. A soft point is for animals and my understanding it fragments more on impact. Now if your looking for Zombie ammo your looking for the wrong stuff. You need to find your self some steel core ap ammo like they used in the north hollywood shoot out. It is made by Norco and it is banned from being imported in the us but not illegal to own. They come in 550 round spam cans runs from 250 to 1 buck a round depending who is selling it. You can also find it in yellow or silver boxs market Steal Core make sure its not the green boxs that have steal shells .
This is the stuff that was sold on here before best stuff around. Norco Steal Core AMMO <<<

Really Norinco is that valuable? I picked up 1k Norinco for $200 a few months ago.

Jpach
09-06-2010, 9:03 PM
Ive killed white tail with M67. Ummmmm, it's more than adequate, but you need a head shot unless you want to lose all the ribs. The Yugo M67 is the most destructive (and accurate) ammo I've ever used in X39.

I would NOT want to be shot with ANY round, but the thought of a Yugo round going through an appendage just gives me the creeps after seeing what it does to a 200lb deer. It would make a big mess out of a "Zombie".

Mind posting of PMing pics please? Im into that kinda stuff.

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 9:41 PM
I'd go with the FMJ's over the SP in a battle.

Snapping Twig
09-06-2010, 9:48 PM
FMJ (ball) is Geneva Convention ammo. Minimal tissue disruption. Shoot an enemy, he's down but not out, two carry him off and one shot takes three enemy soldiers out of the battle.

FMJ is not allowed for hunting for good reason.

I load a 150g NBT for my 7.62x39, great hunting round within 150 yards.

Don't buy factory, so I can't comment on Wolf ammo or any other for that matter.

FMJ is the least effective round possible to use for SD or hunting. Target, use it up, it's cheap and plentiful.

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 9:51 PM
You're right, but in battle situations especially urban. I'd prefer the FMJ only cause IMO it would go through cars and etc more effectively compared to soft point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 9:58 PM
I think I am just going to go ahead and order some Wolf Military Classic JHP ammo and see how it goes. It's only $20 more than the Yugo M67 stuff, and worse comes to worse, I'll just plink them off.

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 10:00 PM
I think I am just going to go ahead and order some Wolf Military Classic JHP ammo and see how it goes. It's only $20 more than the Yugo M67 stuff, and worse comes to worse, I'll just plink them off.

Only $20? I bought 1260 rds of that yugo stuff for $200 + $50 shipping. Anyways I'd go with a non-corrosive ammo... I hate having to clean my guns right after!

Reductio
09-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I love yugo surplus ammo, it's cheap, great for plinking, and it's range-safe out here. Good to know it's also going to go in my SHTF pile. :)

Oh, and I always clean my guns right after shooting.

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Yep, $220 vs $200 for 1k.

I use corrosive because the ranges this time of year don't allow for magnetic bullets. Cleaning is definitely no fun, but if it needs to be done then it needs to be done.

If the JHP goes over well, I'll keep some stock on both Wolf MC JHP and Yugo FMJ.

zfields
09-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Were did you pick it up for 1k? I need to pick up some FMJ non-corrosive soon.

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 10:09 PM
The FMJ that I bought was corrosive Yugo M67. The Wolf is non corrosive, but JHP.

-Don

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I love yugo surplus ammo, it's cheap, great for plinking, and it's range-safe out here. Good to know it's also going to go in my SHTF pile. :)

Oh, and I always clean my guns right after shooting.

What do you use to clean your gun and on a scale of 1-10 how well do you clean your rifle? I used Q-tips to try to clean the receiver, but it was taking forever and I think I'm getting these little brown rust spots on my brand new gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 10:15 PM
What do you use to clean your gun and on a scale of 1-10 how well do you clean your rifle? I used Q-tips to try to clean the receiver, but it was taking forever and I think I'm getting these little brown rust spots on my brand new gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of gun are you shooting these out of?

I haven't really had much trouble cleaning my AR after shooting corrosive ammo. Then again, I started out with a 7.62 AR, so I don't know how much cleaner or different a 5.56 AR shoots.

Reductio
09-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Yikes! I normally do a quick water routine on my SKS at the range, then a lot of Hoppes 9 at home. I tend to be pretty picky, stripping down the bolt and gas system, and I haven't seen anything untoward yet. BLM trips are non-corrosive wolf all the way though, why take the chance? :p

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM
What kind of gun are you shooting these out of?

I haven't really had much trouble cleaning my AR after shooting corrosive ammo. Then again, I started out with a 7.62 AR, so I don't know how much cleaner or different a 5.56 AR shoots.

I have a week old Arsenal SGL21. I love this thing and would like it to survive a lifetime.

Yikes! I normally do a quick water routine on my SKS at the range, then a lot of Hoppes 9 at home. I tend to be pretty picky, stripping down the bolt and gas system, and I haven't seen anything untoward yet. BLM trips are non-corrosive wolf all the way though, why take the chance? :p

What water routine are you talking about? Do you pour water in the barrel or all inside the internals and everywhere else powder lays?

Reductio
09-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Normally some down the barrel of the SKS, and over the bolt face. Just trying to wash away what I can while it's hot. I'm not convinced that it helps that much (I know people who just use very hot water at home) but it can't hurt. Big thing for me is using a ton of Hoppes 9, wiping some on, wiping that off, then letting some soak into the metal, then removing again and coating with CLP.

b00gym4n
09-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I just checked my rifle and I wiped the bore with a q-tip and there was a bunch of green liquid type gunk. What iss thiisss?!

Reductio
09-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I just checked my rifle and I wiped the bore with a q-tip and there was a bunch of green liquid type gunk. What iss thiisss?!

Hoppe's dissolving copper deposits, it's supposed to do that. :cool:

Don Nguyen
09-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I think I read somewhere people run water mixed with ammonia(?) to clean out their guns after shooting corrosive ammo?

norcal77
09-07-2010, 12:24 AM
I think I read somewhere people run water mixed with ammonia(?) to clean out their guns after shooting corrosive ammo?

Hot soapy water or windex works fine...

sd1023x
09-07-2010, 9:32 AM
...Now if your looking for Zombie ammo your looking for the wrong stuff. You need to find your self some steel core ap ammo like they used in the north hollywood shoot out. It is made by Norco and it is banned from being imported in the us but not illegal to own. They come in 550 round spam cans runs from 250 to 1 buck a round depending who is selling it. You can also find it in yellow or silver boxs market Steal Core make sure its not the green boxs that have steal shells .

Eh, not worth the price. Steel core is used because its cheaper than a pure lead bullet. Its not a magic bullet or super performance bullet by any means.

DiRTY DOG
09-07-2010, 2:11 PM
the uly 124 grain 8M3 jhp used in the military classic line is about the best SD round you will find in that caliber.

I'll agree. It fragments something fierce at reasonable distances, 50-100 yards.

This picture is from my testing of Ulyanovsk 8M3 HP I test fired at 50 yards into water jugs.
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2338/ulyhp0hc.jpg

MrPlink
09-07-2010, 3:11 PM
FMJ (ball) is Geneva Convention ammo. Minimal tissue disruption. Shoot an enemy, he's down but not out, two carry him off and one shot takes three enemy soldiers out of the battle.

i find this to be the common defense of the 5.56 fans, yet they will also tell you "one shot, one kill"....
well, which is it? !? !?

Snapping Twig
09-07-2010, 6:56 PM
i find this to be the common defense of the 5.56 fans, yet they will also tell you "one shot, one kill"....
well, which is it? !? !?

Let's look at the nuts and bolts of this.

The 7.62 weighs 123 ~ 125 grains typically and moves @ 2200 fps give or take.

The 5.56 weighs somewhere in the 60 grain area +/- depending on load and moves in the 3100 fps area.

With that in mind, even ball ammo moving over 3k fps, can disintegrate on impact causing extreme wounds and mortality.

Mass and velocity are the biggest variables affecting penetration, expansion and terminal results.

The 5.56 moves fast enough to overcome it's diminutive size. The 7.62x39 moves slow for a rifle bullet.Many compare the 7.62x39 to the 30-30 and rightly so, both have similar ballistics.

I mentioned in my earlier post my preference for 150g NBT in the 7.62x39 and I move them an honest 2100 fps. Those work flat out. Deer and pig are DRT with proper shot placement.

I don't own a 5.56 and I don't plan on doing so, just not enough bullet IMO.

I do own a 6.5-06 and that moves a 120g NBT at 3100 fps, so I have a super flat shooting bullet in a weight and caliber I can use. Now THAT bullet kills far beyond it's statistics would indicate. The BC and SD are such that it's like a torpedo in length.

Dragunov
09-09-2010, 2:18 PM
Mind posting of PMing pics please? Im into that kinda stuff. I never even thought to take any pics. I shot that deer in Eastern KY a couple years back because it was tearing my Dads neighbors garden up. Neighbor got the deer, I already had some in the freezer.