PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P95 or Sig P229 with conversions?

Whatisthis?
09-06-2010, 2:47 PM
I've narrowed it down to two guns unless I completely hate the Ruger P95 when I try it. I can either go less expensive with a Ruger P95 or I can save up a little more and go with a Sig P229 and get some conversion kits so I can practice less expensively. I plan to get pretty into shooting, so that's why I thought a Sig with conversions would be good. Not a fan of glocks, but I will still try another one out and see if I change my mind. What would you choose?

bballwizard05
09-06-2010, 2:50 PM
i completely vouch for my p-95, it looks pretty good and functions amazingly. Plus lifetime warranty. Obviously a Sig is a nicer gun and looks great too. All i'm saying is that the ruger is a great start!! love it

OneSevenDeuce
09-06-2010, 2:52 PM
What are you going to use your pistol primarily for? Home defense? Competitions? Punching paper? They are both good pistols but narrowing down your priorities might help you choose.

Whatisthis?
09-06-2010, 2:58 PM
What are you going to use your pistol primarily for? Home defense? Competitions? Punching paper? They are both good pistols but narrowing down your priorities might help you choose.

It has to be for home defense, but I definitely would like to start by plinking around a little and then getting into more serious shooting (probably not competition) but I have a pretty addictive personality where when I start something, I like to get really good at it.

OneSevenDeuce
09-06-2010, 3:02 PM
It has to be for home defense, but I definitely would like to start by plinking around a little and then getting into more serious shooting (probably not competition) but I have a pretty addictive personality where when I start something, I like to get really good at it.

That's the most common usage for new handgun owners I think. Good thing too, home defense is definitely a great reason to own a gun. Besides that shooting is just fun. If it were me, honestly I'd get the Ruger and save the Sig for a bit later after you get an idea of what you personally want in a higher end gun. Ruger makes excellent products that will serve you well. Sig does also but they can get pretty expensive sometimes. Conversion kits are nice too, but those can get pretty expensive themselves. But hey, if Sig is what you really want then go for it. You wont find many people in this world who will say Sig is a bad gun.

morfeeis
09-06-2010, 3:02 PM
the best i can do to help is say this, here was my list of 9mm handguns 4 weeks ago and what happened to them.

Sig P229 lost hope in them after the BATF ex'ed them from duty use
Sigma all the bad things about the stock trigger and the lack of a hammer dropped it off my list
Glocks, i know this is a bad reason but i hate the way they look and the lack of a hammer was the "nail" in it's coffin for me.
pt111 the grip was far to small for my hands and just felt all wrong, didn't even feel safe to fire it.
Ruger P95, it was love at first grip, it just felt so right and is now on a 10 day hold with 3 days left and i couldn't be happier.

Whatisthis?
09-06-2010, 3:03 PM
Oh, and I'm not gonna be trying to collect a bunch of guns, so tons more purchases down the road aren't likely, probably 5-8 other purchases or so.

OneSevenDeuce
09-06-2010, 3:05 PM
5-8 other purchases or so.

Reading about some people's collections on these boards might make it seem like you don't have a lot unless you have like 20 guns or whatever. But yeah, 8 handguns is more than I have, and I've been collecting and shooting for a while. :D

morfeeis
09-06-2010, 3:07 PM
Oh, and I'm not gonna be trying to collect a bunch of guns, so tons more purchases down the road aren't likely, probably 5-8 other purchases or so.
lol yeah, good luck with that one. in may i said i only wanted two firearm systems a long gun and a handgun......... well that was 5 guns ago and i still have 4 to go. this "hobby" will suck you in and you will love every round of it.

Whatisthis?
09-06-2010, 4:25 PM
Reading about some people's collections on these boards might make it seem like you don't have a lot unless you have like 20 guns or whatever. But yeah, 8 handguns is more than I have, and I've been collecting and shooting for a while. :D

Well I meant not 5-8 at a time. More like 5-8 over a good period of time, probably selling one when I got a new one once I had 4 or so.

ChrisTKHarris
09-06-2010, 4:27 PM
the best i can do to help is say this, here was my list of 9mm handguns 4 weeks ago and what happened to them.

Sig P229 lost hope in them after the BATF ex'ed them from duty use
Sigma all the bad things about the stock trigger and the lack of a hammer dropped it off my list
Glocks, i know this is a bad reason but i hate the way they look and the lack of a hammer was the "nail" in it's coffin for me.
pt111 the grip was far to small for my hands and just felt all wrong, didn't even feel safe to fire it.
Ruger P95, it was love at first grip, it just felt so right and is now on a 10 day hold with 3 days left and i couldn't be happier.

That was the P250, NOT the P229. Get your facts straight.

EDIT: Clarification, were you in fact referring to them previously being used or were you referencing the more recent BATF Bid Competition involving the P250. :)

Whatisthis?
09-06-2010, 4:27 PM
lol yeah, good luck with that one. in may i said i only wanted two firearm systems a long gun and a handgun......... well that was 5 guns ago and i still have 4 to go. this "hobby" will suck you in and you will love every round of it.

Lol, that's pretty good. Thanks for heads up. I'll try to restrain myself, but hey, there are worse hobbies than owning and shooting many guns.

gorenut
09-06-2010, 7:39 PM

EDIT: Clarification, were you in fact referring to them previously being used or were you referencing the more recent BATF Bid Competition involving the P250. :)

In either case.. the P250 really shouldn't even be compared to any of the P-Series Sigs. Sig is really tarnishing the P-Series name by putting that P in front of the 250. If anything, the SP2022 (not from Turner's batch) is more deserving of a P.

9mmepiphany
09-06-2010, 8:58 PM
If you're more interested in function than exterior appearance, you'd be well served by looking for a local LE trade-in Sig 226 ($450) or 229 ($500). I haven't checked prices recently and their new ads don't have the the used Sigs listed

zfields
09-06-2010, 9:14 PM
I loved the p95, great feel to them!

I ended up with an xd .45 though, dont regret it a bit!

Whatisthis?
09-06-2010, 9:45 PM
If you're more interested in function than exterior appearance, you'd be well served by looking for a local LE trade-in Sig 226 ($450) or 229 ($500). I haven't checked prices recently and their new ads don't have the the used Sigs listed

Really? Do you know where I can possibly get these ads? Or do you mean at my local FFL where LEs have traded in?

9mmepiphany
09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
River City Gun Exchange (on Fruitridge) had them regularly in the Sac Bee Sports section on Thurdays and I just heard a friend got the same deal at Cordova Shooting Center. I don't know if they have any left, but you could call or stop by. I believe the last batch came from Modesto PD when they traded in their Sigs

Whatisthis?
09-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks so much Tang! As long as it can go bang, I'll be happy with it. And at that price! I'm so stoked!

faterikcartman
09-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Go with the Sig. I'm a huge fan of Ruger revolvers though.

9mmepiphany
09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
And at that price! I'm so stoked!

I had one student, who already had a 226 Blackwater, buy 2 of the LE trade-ins (so he wouldn't worry about them getting beat up) and another just pick one up as a first gun

morfeeis
09-07-2010, 12:04 AM

My facts are just fine, i was referring to sig, not just one model.

But i could have made that more clear

nazgulnarsil
09-07-2010, 2:29 AM
ruger p95 used is a fantastic value. when I looked at new prices I decided to bump up my budget slightly to get a much nicer pistol (sp2022 for me).

GŁnter
09-07-2010, 3:19 AM
How about a Ruger P95 and a Ruger MkIII/22-45 ;)? For a price of a single SIG P229 and a conversion kit you can get the two Rugers and still have money left for more ammo.

Hornetsnest
09-07-2010, 6:35 AM
...I can either go less expensive with a Ruger P95 or I can save up a little more and go with a Sig P229 and get some conversion kits...
A little more???

The sig probably costs twice as much as the ruger...and that's w/o the conversion kits.

IMO spend the $250-300 and get a used P95. If you really get into the shooting range and competition aspect, you can buy other pistols and gear like you plan. If not, at least you've got a solid reliable home defense pistol for the sock drawer which you didn't have to break the bank to get. I say this because lots of guys who first get into guns and shooting claim that it's gonna be their next hobby for life. Yet after a few range sessions, the super high speed expensive guns they bought for their new "hobby for life" never leave the safe or sock drawer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

BNuge
09-09-2010, 8:35 PM
If your going to go with a sig for the reasons you put up ie. Home defense, range shooting etc. You should probably go with a 226 over a 229. Bigger guns are typically easier to shoot straight.

P95
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree with Gunter in post #23 which is exactly how I started. The P95 was my first gun which I purchased around March this year. I've probably put close to 3,000 rounds (who knows maybe more) through it. I can count on one hand the number of failures I've experienced since purchasing the P95. All malfunctions were due to operator error. To save money on ammo, I also purchased a 22/45 which I always start off with at the range.

If you don't like the P95's grip, you may want to try the Ruger SR9 which comes with different sized backstraps.

STROLLER
09-09-2010, 10:57 PM
loved my p95 and wish i never sold it. however I did move on to bigger and better things. If firearms turn out to be something that you don't stick to its not a huge investment. many people like the idea of owning guns but when it comes to using/shooting them its not for them.

FERGUSON
09-10-2010, 7:59 AM
I HAVE A P95 AND I THINK ITS A GREAT GUN. THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY ABOUT MY SPECIFIC GUN IS IT DOESNT LIKE TO SHOOT OVER 150 RNDS OF DIRTY AMMO. ONCE ITS UP TO 150 RNDS ITLL START FTE/FTF. YOU HAVE TO KEEP THEM REALLY CLEAN AND LUBED.