PDA

View Full Version : Tapco '74 muzzle break DOES work.

skylovia
09-06-2010, 3:17 PM
Took my Romy G rifle out for the first time yesterday. The guy next to me said that my gun was "really loud". So being the nice guy that I am, I said I would take the brake off to see if it was any quieter on his end. And he said that it was. But to my surprise, there was a DEFINITE INCREASE in recoil. I mean a BIG difference. I have seen people bashing these Tapco '74 brakes saying that they only reduce recoil due to the added weight(probably guys that spent $100 dollars on a KVAR one), but I was shooting from the bench so the weight on the end of the barrel didn't matter. When I put it back on, the recoil was reduced back to what it was.

So, as a person who has actually used this brake. I'm gonna recommend it to anyone looking for an functional/cost effective muzzle brake. It really works!

-Chris

CoyoteHunter555
09-06-2010, 3:47 PM
Cool. You may piss people off but I don't take my brakes off at the range, not because I'm a dick but my POI would change and I tighten my brakes well on the rifle. Next time, just say, "I bet."

Good report

Quiet
09-06-2010, 4:08 PM
I have the Tapco AK74 style muzzle brake on my Draco. Works great.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_I88A6C5UfDU/SzGdCypUbRI/AAAAAAAADXg/ptZNlCvaKak/s640/CIMG1501.JPG
(i need to take a new pic of my Draco :p )

luckystrike
09-06-2010, 4:52 PM
I love love love mine. I have an expensive KVAR that came with my other rifle, I couldnt tell you a differance yet cause the nanny says you have to wait 10 days.

Fattracker
09-06-2010, 5:43 PM
Last week I threaded my Saiga 7.62 barrel and installed my similar brake from Danzig. I took it out and it fired fine. Just need to dial in sights. Got a sight adjustment and bipod on order, should be in this week or next. Thanks for for the report.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/Fattracker/New%20Gun/Picture045.jpg

CSDGuy
09-06-2010, 5:53 PM
Is your muzzle brake broken? I was expecting to see that the Tapco '74 muzzle brake does work even if broken...

Fattracker
09-06-2010, 6:44 PM
Is your muzzle brake broken? I was expecting to see that the Tapco '74 muzzle brake does work even if broken...

:p No my brake aint broken. Neither is my wallet.

IsaacGlass
09-06-2010, 8:33 PM
Last week I threaded my Saiga 7.62 barrel and installed my similar brake from Danzig. I took it out and it fired fine. Just need to dial in sights. Got a sight adjustment and bipod on order, should be in this week or next. Thanks for for the report.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/Fattracker/New%20Gun/Picture045.jpg

Nice work! Did you thread the barrel all the way down to the end of the sight or does the Dinzag MB requires a 24mm adapter?

wilit
09-06-2010, 8:37 PM
I really don't understand when people at the range complain that a gun is loud. No freakin' sh@t it's loud. It's a freakin' gun. Buy good hearing protection then!

As for the brake, yeah, the AK74 is a great break. I swapped out the '74 style brake on my Yugo underfolder for a slant "brake". Not only is the slant brake worthless, it's ugly too. Without the '74 style brake, the underfolder is kind of uncomfortable to shoot for a long time.

Fattracker
09-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Nice work! Did you thread the barrel all the way down to the end of the sight or does the Dinzag MB requires a 24mm adapter?

Thanks. Yeah I ended up cutting off rest of shroud and threaded (14 mm) all the way to sight and I bought brake (14 mm thread) with extended threading so it would fit. Ground end of brake to index. I also did the bullet guide while I was at it. I ended up breaking the tap. But fortunately enough of tap was left so I could get needle nose and unscrew. I had a backup sears tap to finish job. Was a pain though. Barrel was easier.