PDA

View Full Version : AR exjection question

xbimmers
09-06-2010, 12:26 PM
I fired my newly completed Retro AR with a no bump upper receiver. The brass was coming out straight back....hitting the forward assist housing.....it was pretty consistent....

I want to try and fix this. Will changing to a BCG that ejects forward solve this for me?

PyroFox79
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Thats what the brass deflector is for. I dont think they make bolts that eject forwards.

xbimmers
09-06-2010, 12:40 PM
some of my BCG eject forward...some to the side...some to the rear........I just want to know what effects how the BCG ejects.....

Thats what the brass deflector is for. I dont think they make bolts that eject forwards.

RobT2K
09-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Changing the buffer/spring could also make a different ejection pattern.

dennis1979gm
09-06-2010, 12:47 PM
its gas timming that dictate your ejection pattern. over gassed go forward, less gas it tends to eject straight out or to the rear. all my factory Colts tend to eject to the 4:00 to 4:30 position. Thats about the position your looking for but as long as your not having cycling issues its not that critical. this is taking in to account you have a brass deflecter.

b.faust
09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Changing the buffer/spring could also make a different ejection pattern.

What Rob said.

I just recently fixed a friends AR that was having weird/inconsistent brass ejection (often it wouldn't eject at all) by simply replacing the buffer spring.

He'd bought a full JP AR with a Geissele trigger for $800 because the guy said it was "broke" and a P.O.S.

Turns out someone had trimmed the buffer spring down way to short.
I put a new one in for him and it runs flawlessly.

xbimmers
09-06-2010, 12:49 PM
No brass defector! A1 upper....

its gas timming that dictate your ejection pattern. over gassed go forward, less gas it tends to eject straight out or to the rear. all my factory Colts tend to eject to the 4:00 to 4:30 position. Thats about the position your looking for but as long as your not having cycling issues its not that critical. this is taking in to account you have a brass deflecter.

b.faust
09-06-2010, 12:53 PM
No brass defector! A1 upper....

What kind of ammo are you running? (Factory/Reloads? Brand?)

Are you running 5.56 in a .223 barrel?

What kind of buffer are you running?

xbimmers
09-06-2010, 1:07 PM
Running .233 ammo in a 5.56 barrel

The buffer is a new old stock colt A1 buffer.

What kind of ammo are you running? (Factory/Reloads? Brand?)

Are you running 5.56 in a .223 barrel?

What kind of buffer are you running?

xbimmers
09-06-2010, 1:13 PM
New Fiocchi 55 grain FMJ

New PMC 55 grain FMJ

Running .233 ammo in a 5.56 barrel

The buffer is a new old stock colt A1 buffer.

b.faust
09-06-2010, 2:18 PM
The ammo sounds fine.
Personally, I run an H buffer in my AR15s.

and I run this buffer spring. (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=126)

Outside of trying this, and checking your extractor, or getting a new BCG, I'm at a loss.
Since it's not having a FTE, just inconsistent ejecting, it tougher to diagnose (at least for me.)

What kind of BCG is it? Are the key screws staked?

tomd1584
09-06-2010, 3:03 PM
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/ARejectionpattern.jpg

xbimmers
09-06-2010, 4:02 PM
I will start here....with a new buffer spring...next will be the buffer......

The buffer spring I got is New OLD stock from the A1 kits that are out there....so it might be out of whack.

What Rob said.

I just recently fixed a friends AR that was having weird/inconsistent brass ejection (often it wouldn't eject at all) by simply replacing the buffer spring.

He'd bought a full JP AR with a Geissele trigger for $800 because the guy said it was "broke" and a P.O.S.

Turns out someone had trimmed the buffer spring down way to short.
I put a new one in for him and it runs flawlessly.

CoyoteHunter555
09-06-2010, 4:06 PM
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/ARejectionpattern.jpg

Sweet :D +1

bombadillo
09-06-2010, 4:36 PM
Check to see if you have an extractor buffer too and not just a spring. Those are only a buck or two from midway. That can make a big difference on extraction.

xbimmers
09-06-2010, 7:45 PM
I am starting with an Extra power buffer spring from Wolff.

Do they make a heavy buffer for a full size A1 rifle?

xbimmers
09-08-2010, 6:54 PM
I am not shooting a carbine...it is a full size A1.

A buffer fits inside the the buffer extension, which extends into the stock...not sure what you are asking. Also make sure you get the right buffer -- http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59176

Video on youtube that shows bolt bounce with the wrong buffers being used. Putting a black o-ring around the spring (midwayusa) as mentioned should help with extraction.