View Full Version : Ruger Standard .22 Automatic MFG 1950 registration questions.

09-06-2010, 11:06 AM
My cousins husband passed a few years back and she is short on money like everyone else so I bought the Ruger .22 auto her husband left her.

First of all I need to register the pistol, what would be the best way to handle that? My neighbor is a gun dealer, can he help me get this done?

Second, the serial numbers indicate that it is a Standard model manufactured sometime in 1950. Standard & Mark I Pistol's were manufactured from 1949 to 1982 so this one was probably made before Alexander Sturm's death in November, 1951. It doesn't have red emblems though. Its in fair to good condition, does anyone know the estimated value?

09-06-2010, 1:49 PM
the widow needs to take the ruger to your local FFL to do a PPT transfer to you.

09-06-2010, 3:25 PM
So theres nothing I can do to register it myself.

09-06-2010, 3:28 PM
In order to legally transfer it, it needs to be PPT through a CA FFL dealer.

09-06-2010, 3:37 PM
With 951 posts here, I'd certainly figure the OP would know most all gun transfers have to go thru a CA FFL.

1. Give gun back to seller.
2. Go find an FFL convenient to both you and the seller.
3. Do the PPT paperwork, pay the fees, wait 10 days.
4. Pick up the gun.

09-06-2010, 3:46 PM
my guess is that this gun has never been registered....Why bother doing it now

09-06-2010, 4:13 PM
Part of the problem is I don't know the whole history of the gun. I don't know if my cousins husband had it registered, I do know she didn't get it registered when she took possession though. The story I got was it was her husbands fathers gun. So who knows how long its been since it was in the system I mean the thing is over 50 years old.

I would like to keep the gun but only if I can get it registered. If I can't register the gun myself I'm probably screwed unless all she has to do is declare how she acquired it in the first place.

And Bill 951 posts do not an expert make. I have never bought a used gun. I come here to get information and learn, I could say after 951 posts that you should know by now that I'm a slow learner ;)

09-06-2010, 4:17 PM
as long as it hasn't been reported stolen, it doesn't matter what the history of it is. All she has to do it take it to the FFL and tell him that she wishes to PPT it to you, thats it. Past registration history does not matter.

09-06-2010, 4:24 PM
So we can take it to anyone that has a Federal Firearms License and take care of this?

09-06-2010, 4:33 PM
you can take it to any firearms dealer in CA.