View Full Version : Soon to be a Military spouse

09-06-2010, 9:59 AM
I keep reading acts that protect the right of military spouses and how as long as they are with that person whereever they go they don't have to establish residency get new drivers license change tags.
Here is my problem and why I'm in the FFL forum:
When I retire soon and BECOME A SPOUSE (real important don't loose that detail) I by law do not have to get a CA license I can keep IL.
But heres the kick in the head I am not named on my wifes orders, So I cannot legally buy a gun of any kind in the state of California.

All the sudden my hobby stops as long as I'm here. I'm active now but soon I have to get the wife to buy all my guns for me and if I get stopped they are not registered to me.

09-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I can't imagine it would be a big deal to get a CA ID card, would it?

09-06-2010, 6:46 PM
Many have done this and been harassed for CA taxes

09-06-2010, 9:48 PM
Not sure I understand what taxes you are speaking of?

09-06-2010, 10:21 PM
As a military spouse, you may be subject to state taxes if you are employed within a given state - whether or not you are a resident.
If you have no job, or work strictly on the federal military reservation (and directly for the government), you may get around that.

Are you both military right now? What is your declared state of residency?

I am guessing that you are already a spouse, but will soon be a "dependent", rather than a two military member family.

You may have to wait until her next PCS to start buying guns again - or you could just travel home to purchase them.