PDA

View Full Version : Gritty AR Trigger

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I have an ar and the trigger is SOOOO gritty. when dry firing, i can slightly pull the trigger and let it go and it stays where I pulled it until I push it back with my finger (this is before I let the hammer fall so It should automatically go back to the first position). Its originally from a DPMS parts kit. I know if i change it out it would help, but is there anything I can do to this trigger to clean it up?:chris:

Capt. Speirs
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Polish it.

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Is it difficult to do?

Sky_DiveR
09-06-2010, 11:44 AM
The trigger return spring should've prevented this from happening. Is it installed properly? Don't try and smooth it up yourself! You could create an unsafe hair-trigger situation. Send your trigger group to Bill Springfield to be smoothed up... possibly a new set of springs to go with it. He'll smooth it up for $39 with return shipping. I'd recommend the speed hammer mod for an extra $5 and a new set of springs too. Check his website, Triggerwork.net for current prices and address.

Whenever I send my stuff to him, his turn around time was about 2.5 weeks but it all depends on his workload.

Mail Clerk
09-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I'd try and re-clean and oil all the pins and levers in the bottom receiver. Then put a tiny amount of grease under the tammer to smooth up the trigger pull. I think it'll get better with usage.

Mail Clerk

UBFRAGD
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM
A careful polish job on an ar is not outside an amatuer gunsmiths' ability. Both my triggers are from DPMS, both are polished, and both are so freakin' sweet. They do get gritty feeling after lots of shooting tho, I just use remoil and compressed air.

railroader
09-06-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm Try this and if it is still gritty send it to Bill Springfield. He did one for me with the speed hammer and it came out very good. I still use the cut springs from the "15 minute trigger job" without any problems in both my AR rifles. Mark

CrippledPidgeon
09-06-2010, 1:35 PM
Have you put oil on the trigger and hammer pins? Always try the simple things before you start spending money.

b.faust
09-06-2010, 1:56 PM
Is it difficult to do?

Nope.
Just get yourself a nice dremel, some polish pads and red rouge polish (jewelers polish)

Just take your time and don't go nuts.

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-06-2010, 2:14 PM
Have you put oil on the trigger and hammer pins? Always try the simple things before you start spending money.

Yeah, everytime I clean my rifle, I go through it thoroughly and clean every nook and cranny and oil it as well.

Nope.
Just get yourself a nice dremel, some polish pads and red rouge polish (jewelers polish)

Just take your time and don't go nuts.

I do have a dremmel. I think im going to give it a shot. If it doesnt work out, I can always buy another. Besides I live by the phrase "how are you going to learn if you dont try it first"

b.faust
09-06-2010, 3:09 PM
Yeah, everytime I clean my rifle, I go through it thoroughly and clean every nook and cranny and oil it as well.

Just an FYI, over oiling areas that don't need it attract grit and grime like a magnet. So if you're drenching your FCG, it will start feeling gritty in a short amount of time after firing.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-16-2010, 5:34 PM
Sorry to bring up a Necro-Post, but I found a simple solution to my gritty trigger problem. I went to Walmart and picked up some 220 grit sandpaper and sanded the edges of the hammer, trigger and sear. I then took some polish and a rag and began to polish every edge I could find. Put some slide glide where the hammer meets the trigger....Long story short, No more gritty trigger. Thanks again Calguns!!

bjl333
10-16-2010, 6:02 PM
Don't load a full mag for you first session at the range. Load only 2 rounds, just to make sure it doesn't double.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-16-2010, 6:06 PM
Don't load a full mag for you first session at the range. Load only 2 rounds, just to make sure it doesn't double.

Good Point.

Group B
10-16-2010, 6:56 PM
http://shanedaughtry.com/images/Polish%20Sear.gif

For a much smoother trigger pull, polish ( Warning : DON'T GRIND ) the sear's contact surfaces very carefully with a dremel tool using a felt wheel with some jeweler's polish. You don't want to remove metal, just polish the surfaces to a mirror finish and remove any burrs or tool marks.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-16-2010, 7:53 PM
Thats why I used really light grit finishing sandpaper and did it by hand. Didnt want to remove too much material. Just cleaned it up. The pull is still heavy DPMS Trigger group, but at least its smooth

IntoForever
10-16-2010, 8:14 PM
What about using Anti-seize lubricant very sparingly in the contact areas after polishing?

Uncle Scary
10-16-2010, 8:23 PM
I used an automotive moly graphite lube on mine. It's available at any auto parts store. It's rated for extreme pressure, so it won't squeeze out of the contact surfaces after a few shots. Prior to applying the grease, I polished the contact surfaces as others have explained here with a dremel using a polishing wheel and some industrial polishing compound. I also installed a JP Enterprises reduced pressure spring kit. My AR's trigger is now smooth and breaks at 4 lbs.

Uncle Scary
10-16-2010, 8:33 PM
Thats why I used really light grit finishing sandpaper and did it by hand. Didnt want to remove too much material.

You don't want to remove any material. Trigger parts are only hardened to a few thousandths of an inch below the surface. Below that is mild steel, which will wear out fast. If you remove the veneer of hardened steel, the geometry of your trigger components will change as they wear. Don't use sand paper. Stone the contact surfaces LIGHTLY if you have excessive burrs.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-16-2010, 9:02 PM
Ok I wonder if this would help or be a MAJOR No-No. I know screwing with springs in any manor kinda messes up the integrity of them. Whats your opinion?
BVhJNEX6alQ

bombadillo
10-16-2010, 9:05 PM
I wouldn't recommend polishing it at all. The handful I've done are awful compared to bill springfields or a factory compass lake engineering trigger that is a two stage. I did a fine job honestly but when you compare them to somebody who does them all the time, somebody who knows what they are doing is going to be much better. I can't recommend doing it because too many people go WAY overboard on what they need, and instead they just do it till its a mirror finish and shiny. Just spend the 30-40 bucks and do it ONCE the right way, its sooooooo worth the money. Either this or buy a nice trigger.

ExtremeX
10-16-2010, 9:15 PM
My Stag trigger was the same as yours OP. It drove me nuts at times.

+1 on the Bill Springfield trigger job for a cheap quick fix. You could try it, but chances are you are better off sending it to him and spending $39 and getting it done right the first time.

I ended up getting myself a RRA 2 Stage trigger, and I was the best thing I’ve done to my AR to date. Nice light crisp clean break.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-16-2010, 9:33 PM
My Stag trigger was the same as yours OP. It drove me nuts at times.

+1 on the Bill Springfield trigger job for a cheap quick fix. You could try it, but chances are you are better off sending it to him and spending $39 and getting it done right the first time.

I ended up getting myself a RRA 2 Stage trigger, and I was the best thing Iíve done to my AR to date. Nice light crisp clean break.

Yeah, I wasnt really looking for a match grade competition trigger. I just wanted something with a little lighter trigger pull and less grit (hence the thread name). But If I can get away with what Ive got, Ill stick with it. If worst comes to worse, Ill shell out the $170 for the Giessele SSA Trigger and call it a build.

ExtremeX
10-16-2010, 10:02 PM
It sounds like you already know what you want... I started a couple threads similar to what you are experiencing and looking for. Doing a trigger job to the stock trigger will only take you so far and may degrade over time as there is only so much surface hardening on the trigger you can work with.

For $100 bucks, the RRA 2 Stage trigger is amazing in comparison to the stock trigger, its night and day, it’s worth a look. The 2 Stage RRA is on my all-purpose AR, and has worked out very well. I wouldn’t consider the RRA 2 Stage a PURE competition or match trigger, as there are better options for that. I was hesitant to use the RRA 2 Stage on a general purpose AR, but it’s an excellent fit/choice for the application.

I wasn’t convinced of this until I actually USED one.

IsaacGlass
10-16-2010, 11:32 PM
I wouldnt used the RRA NM trigger for a HD AR.

7T51AeoLOko

killshot44
10-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Another Bill Springfield fan. Awesome single-stage triggers made from your crappy factory trigger! 2.5lbs, mmmmmm, butter.

Uncle Scary
10-17-2010, 8:55 AM
At 2.5 lbs, I would be afraid of a strong breeze going through the trigger guard. Too light for me.

bombadillo
10-17-2010, 10:01 AM
For $100 bucks, the RRA 2 Stage trigger is amazing in comparison to the stock trigger, its night and day, itís worth a look. The 2 Stage RRA is on my all-purpose AR, and has worked out very well.

For just over a hundred, they have one at Compass Lake Engineering that is leaps and bounds better than the factory RRA trigger.

http://www.compasslake.com/trigger.htm

It really is a match grade trigger that is Sooooo smooth compared to gritty Amalite and RRA triggers. I currently run a geissele SSA but will be going for an ARgold when I can throw a few bills down. Those things are the ONLY trigger I want in a precision gun these days.

Cuda440
10-17-2010, 4:15 PM
I have Bill Springfields 4lb $39 trigger, it's great. There is zero creep, and a very clean, consistent break.

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-17-2010, 5:33 PM
Does anyone have the website for Bill Springfield. How long is the turnaround usually?

bombadillo
10-17-2010, 5:51 PM
2.5 weeks and triggerwork.net

captbilly
10-17-2010, 6:21 PM
It sounds like you already know what you want... I started a couple threads similar to what you are experiencing and looking for. Doing a trigger job to the stock trigger will only take you so far and may degrade over time as there is only so much surface hardening on the trigger you can work with.

For $100 bucks, the RRA 2 Stage trigger is amazing in comparison to the stock trigger, its night and day, itís worth a look. The 2 Stage RRA is on my all-purpose AR, and has worked out very well. I wouldnít consider the RRA 2 Stage a PURE competition or match trigger, as there are better options for that. I was hesitant to use the RRA 2 Stage on a general purpose AR, but itís an excellent fit/choice for the application.

I wasnít convinced of this until I actually USED one.

I can't stand the stock triggers on the AR so on my first AR I installed the Rock Rive match trigger. The install is very simple and you get a inexpensive and safe trigger that is a huge improvement over the standard trigger. I did try polishing the trigger on my DPMS LR-.308 and I have to say that polishing does not make the trigger nearly as nice as a real trigger upgrade. I polished all the mating surfaces with 2000 grit sandpaper (not so easy to find but a auto paint supply place will usually have it) until they looked like a mirror, but the trigger still sucked (creepy with lots of over travel, and very heavy).

The Rock River is a good compromise trigger for people who are looking at their AR as a multipurpose gun. It's still a bit heavy for serious target shooting but a world away from a polished standard trigger. Anyone who has the least bit of mechanical aptitude can install one and their are no adjustments to mess with (and screw up). The only issue for some users is that the Rock River is a two stage trigger and many people do not like two stage triggers (me included), but I would take the Rock River over a standard AR trigger anytime.

If you want a real target trigger there are a bunch of them out there. The only really light pull triggers that I have found (below 3.5 lbs.) are the ones from Jard and Geiselle. Every review I have read about the Geiselle is highly positive. My own experience with the Jard is that it is a great trigger but hard to install. I don't know how hard the Geiselle is to install because I haven't tried it.

railroader
10-17-2010, 6:46 PM
I had a Bill Springfield trigger job on my ar trigger group and works well. I have a question though. He also does handgun trigger jobs. He says to just send the frame to him. He says he ships the frame back to you priority mail. How does he do that if the frame is considered a handgun and only ffls can mail handguns to ffls not to private parties? Mark

Merc1138
10-17-2010, 9:01 PM
I had a Bill Springfield trigger job on my ar trigger group and works well. I have a question though. He also does handgun trigger jobs. He says to just send the frame to him. He says he ships the frame back to you priority mail. How does he do that if the frame is considered a handgun and only ffls can mail handguns to ffls not to private parties? Mark

He probably has an FFL you ship it to. Also, the frame is not always the "gun" part of every handgun.

furman
10-18-2010, 9:27 AM
I agree w/ many here. Bill Springfield created the best AR trigger I've used. Good guy, too.

"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement." Winston Churchill