PDA

View Full Version : New Furniture, How To Finish???

choprzrul
09-06-2010, 9:46 AM
Got a new laminated Boyd's stock for my wife's rifle. I have just about finished with the shaping and sanding. She has specified that she wants a flat finish, really cringed at the suggestion of shiny.

The rifle will most likely never be used anywhere but the range. The stock is a green/brown/tan laminate that she really likes the look of, so the finish needs to enhance those colors.

Please let me know if you need additional information to make a recommendation.

Cato
09-06-2010, 11:25 AM
hmmm...maybe a single very thin coat of Tung oil. That would protect it and not give it too much of a shine. A thin coat of bees wax might do the trick too.

destro360
09-06-2010, 3:01 PM
hit it with a poly top coat and then dull it down with steel wool followed by some rubbing.....

bigthaiboy
09-06-2010, 3:49 PM
hmmm...maybe a single very thin coat of Tung oil. That would protect it and not give it too much of a shine. A thin coat of bees wax might do the trick too.

+1

A couple coats of tung oil will really bring out the colors in the laminate stock, as it absorbs into the wood, it increases the contrast among the colors. Tung oil also doesn't leave a shiny finish, and will not chip like Polyurathane.