PDA

View Full Version : HKS calls magazines "clips" how can this be?

chim-chim7
09-06-2010, 3:19 AM
I just purchased a HKS speed loader for my Sig 226. I was reading the warning that is impregnated into the loader when I was shocked by this........"Warning-be carefull not to mix 9mm and .40 cal. ammo or other calibers into clips when loading." This seems strange to me.

Anchors
09-06-2010, 3:22 AM
You accidentally bought the speed loader for the Mosin Nagant stripper clips ;)

chim-chim7
09-06-2010, 3:36 AM
Thats a new one, a loader for a clip that loads a magazine.

Anchors
09-06-2010, 3:41 AM
Haha, it's so you can load your clip faster to load your internal magazine faster.
That way you can load extra fast and wildly spray fire 7.62x54r from the hip.

Fishslayer
09-06-2010, 7:26 AM
meh... Cabela's calls magazines "clips" all the time. People who write the copy don't ncessarily need to know what they're writing about...

Thebn there's always THIS one...:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/BiggBore/badHKbrochuresmall.jpg

OneSevenDeuce
09-06-2010, 8:40 AM

Outstanding. Either this guy was really tired when he set up this shot or HK couldn't find one of the many "gun guys" who also love photography.

Black Majik
09-06-2010, 9:26 AM
I just purchased a HKS speed loader for my Sig 226. I was reading the warning that is impregnated into the loader when I was shocked by this........"Warning-be carefull not to mix 9mm and .40 cal. ammo or other calibers into clips when loading." This seems strange to me.

That's why you use Uplula and not HKS. ;)

tbhracing
09-06-2010, 9:36 AM

I knew someone was going to post that photo. But the OP wrote HKS, not HK, correct. Two different companies.

Rhythm of Life
09-06-2010, 10:21 AM
The whole clips/mags debate is pointless to me. Especially to people that know better. I know and you know how a clip differs from a mag. We know what they intended to say, lets stop being a bunch of snobs.

J-cat
09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I call them large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

evidens83
09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
The whole clips/mags debate is pointless to me. Especially to people that know better. I know and you know how a clip differs from a mag. We know what they intended to say, lets stop being a bunch of snobs.

This..

rromeo
09-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Nate Dog had "16 in the clip and 1 in the hole" when he was "about to make some bodies turn cold"
That settles it for me.

cineski
09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Doesn't freaking matter that some people call mags clips.

The DRis
09-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Maybe they don't really give a S***. And you obviously know the difference because it doesn't stop the smart *** remarks, comments, and stupid pictures.

I load clips into my BB'd AR and XD all day long.

bsg
09-06-2010, 11:17 AM
you may have stumbled across the beauty supply section of the site. :eek:

CCW for folks with hair extensions? never heard of it.... :no:

James Bond stuff? :shrug:

gorenut
09-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Agreed 110%

MA2
09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
xerox = copy
kleenex = tissue
clip = magazine
gun = glock (:p)

i know what they mean is good enough...all the same to me these days, what else...

chim-chim7
09-07-2010, 2:49 AM
When I am at the range and I hear someone use the word "clip" in place of "mag" I notice a few things. First the guy is a noob and for my own protection should move down a few lanes.
Second, most of them are the gang banger type. I should move away because he holds his gun sideways and his brass shoots straight up. Go to any gun shop and please use that word, the workers and gun smiths will lose all respect for you. Its not just a gang banger slang word, its a totally different part.

Fishslayer
09-07-2010, 6:40 AM
meh... Cabela's calls magazines "clips" all the time. People who write the copy don't ncessarily need to know what they're writing about...

I knew someone was going to post that photo. But the OP wrote HKS, not HK, correct. Two different companies.

Gotta read dah hol t'ing...;)

Guess I shoulda included "people who take pictures for catalogs...?"

olhunter
09-07-2010, 6:52 AM
xerox = copy
kleenex = tissue
clip = magazine
gun = glock (:p)

i know what they mean is good enough...all the same to me these days, what else...

Band-Aid = bandage
Vaseline = petroleum jelly
bullet = cartridge (lol...worse than mag/clip)
Levi's = denim jeans

cmichini
09-07-2010, 8:09 AM
Personally, I prefer to have the correct nomenclature used, but I certainly don't correct people when they mix up clip and magazine. Basically I try not to be a snob about it, however I may tend to regard that person with some skepticism due to their apparent lack of exposure to, or lack of respect for, technical differences and details since firearms are complex, dangerous mechanical devices their disregard for technical details could result in safety issues.

If you're talking to folks who are knowledgable, or you expect to be knowledgable, about a subject you can reasonably expect to be treated with a bit more respect (or at less skepticism) if you use the correct terminology.

For example, when discussing tax issues and someone refers to an a deductible item as a 'write off' it is not ureasonable to assume the person has no formal training, or an incomplete understanding of the topics, so their statements need to be carefully reviewed and considered to ensure you're getting accurate information and not slangy tidbits of FUD.

Basically if you are loose and breezy with the technical information, when interacting with those technically inclined, you are effectively starting each sentence with "I may not know what I'm talking about..."

Verci0013
09-07-2010, 8:30 AM
Band-Aid = bandage
Vaseline = petroleum jelly
bullet = cartridge (lol...worse than mag/clip)
Levi's = denim jeans

You forgot

Gun Control Laws = A funny Joke

JohnFLand
09-07-2010, 10:49 AM
"Clip" has been used as a synonym for "magazine" for decades, to simply mean "a device for holding cartridges to be inserted into a firearm". My Marlin Camp 45 manual from 1991 consistently uses the word "clip", and that's the term that was used by every shooter I knew in the San Diego area in the 1960's. Indeed, "clip" vs. "magazine" preference may be regional (I know East-coasters like the phrase "on line" rather than "in line" for a queue).

Regardless of original origin, English evolves (e.g., "pistol" was the original term for ANY handgun, now it generally means an automatic, as opposed to a revolver). It's simply pedantic to insist that "magazine" is the only correct term.

EDIT: My 1991 Marlin Camp 45 manual has a couple of pages in the back advertising their other rifles; they advertise their "self loading" rifles as coming with either "tubular magazines, or convenient clips", so it's clear they were aware of the language choice they made.

Massappeal
09-07-2010, 2:35 PM
I think I'm just going to start calling them clips instead of mags to upset the gun gurus for now on! :D

Anchors
09-07-2010, 5:43 PM
I call them large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

Nate Dog had "16 in the clip and 1 in the hole" when he was "about to make some bodies turn cold"
That settles it for me.

:rofl2:
Hahaha both awesome posts.
"now they droppin' and yellin', it's a tad bit late. Nate Dogg and Warren G had to regulate."