PDA

View Full Version : im confused ON AK LAWS IN CA PLZ HELP?!!!

bob7122
09-05-2010, 9:12 PM
i just got back from AZ and i talked to a guy from j and g armory he said all ak type rifles are illegal in CA INCLUDING WASR 10 AND 10 63'S AND SAIGAS then i looked in the DOJ website and saw this o im might have mispelled some of this In addition, the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act controlled AK and
AR-15 series assault weapons (Penal Code section 12276, subd (e) and (f) - see Category 2). These assault
weapons are controlled regardless of whether they have Category 3 (Penal Code section 12276.1 - SB 23) and then i readCategory 2. AK and AR-15 Series Weapons
The California Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of
1989 in Kasler v. Lockyer. This decision took effect August 16, 2000. Effective August 16, 2000, firearm
models that are variations of the AK or AR-15, with only minor differences from those two models, are assaultCATEGORY 3
Assault Weapon Generic Characteristics (Penal Code Section 12276.1)
The Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 (Penal Code section 12276) regulates specific assault
weapons by makes and models. Since its passage in 1989, many manufacturers created new firearm models
that have very similar characteristics to controlled assault weapons. In response, the Legislature passed and the
governor signed SB 23 (Chapter 129, Statutes of 1999), which created Penal Code section 12276.1 to define
assault weapons by generic characteristics. It is important to understand that the Roberti-Roos Assault Weap-
ons Control Act of 1989 (Penal Code section 12276), which lists assault weapons by make and model, is still
the law and those weapons were required to be registered on or before March 31, 1992 (with the exception of
certain AK series and AR-15 series weapons, which were required to be registered on or before January 23,
2001). (Penal Code §§ 12276.1)
Penal Code section 12276.1 complements rather than supersedes the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control
Act of 1989. A firearm that is of a type specified in Penal Code Section 12276.1 that has any of the specified
characteristics listed for that type of firearm is considered a Category 3 (generic characteristics) assault weapon.
Under Penal Code section 12276.1, a firearm’s make, model, or markings have no bearing on whether it is an
assault weapon. A firearm’s status as an assault weapon under this category is determined solely by its charac-
teristics. There are three general types of firearms that are controlled by the generic characteristics assault
weapons laws. These types include semiautomatic centerfire rifles, semiautomatic pistols, and semiautomatic
or revolving cylinder shotguns.Generic Characteristics Defining Assault Weapons:
12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:
Rifles
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
1 DOESN'T A WASR 10 AND WASR 10 63 AND A SAIGA 7.62X39 FALL UNDER THESE RULES REGARDLESS OF MANUFACTURER PLEASE EXPLAIN REASONINGS WITH FACTS PLEASE

bob7122
09-05-2010, 9:14 PM
help

Ed_Hazard
09-05-2010, 9:15 PM
Nope, it's FUD.

Saiga's have no Pistol grip in Original config. When converted they have either a featureless build of are fixed mag rifles. Same goes for the WASR 10

Ed_Hazard
09-05-2010, 9:17 PM
Featureless meaning that the "evil" features that are listed as creating a AW are not present, Pistol Grip, bayo, folding stock thingy...

None of these features present:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of
the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

With fixed mags the rifle cannot by definition be considered an AW

the following:

Fixed mag is not considered a detatchable mag. This is why people use maglocks on their OLL

SxB
09-05-2010, 9:20 PM
Mag locks sent on rifles into ca.
No mags that accept over 10 rounds.
Gotta be over 30 inches.
As long as it has mag lock. A-f are fine minus the suppressors and grenade launchers.
To tell you the truth. There are ways around everything. You just have to find the way.

Most of the te that just means more money is needed.

bob7122
09-05-2010, 9:21 PM
let me clarify j and g armory did not discuss saigas that was added by me when i read the part of kalashnikov usa hunter rifle/saiga in the doj above. and what about the manufacturers how come we don't see russian aks on the market or chinese ones with fixed mags? is it because they are specifically listed and if so why are wasr's allowed they are ak's essentially but made in romania "created new firearm models
that have very similar characteristics to controlled assault weapons. In response, the Legislature passed and the
governor signed SB 23 (Chapter 129, Statutes of 1999), which created Penal Code section 12276.1 to define
assault weapons by generic characteristics. It is important to understand that the Roberti-Roos Assault Weap-
ons Control Act of 1989 (Penal Code section 12276), which lists assault weapons by make and model, is still
the law and those weapons were required to be registered on or before March 31, 1992 (with the exception of
certain AK series and AR-15 series weapons, which were required to be registered on or before January 23,
2001). (Penal Code §§ 12276.1) "

Fattracker
09-05-2010, 9:22 PM
this will help

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

jtmkinsd
09-05-2010, 9:26 PM
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

Fixed mag (bullet button/radlock) removes those guns from being defined as assault weapons. The only ones you can't buy...even with the bb or radlock, are the NAMED makes and models categorized as assault weapons by the State. The Federal assault weapons ban expired so only the CA definitions are in effect.

RolinThundr
09-05-2010, 9:27 PM
My understanding is that AK receivers not bearing the AK designation are legal to own in CA since, in a lawsuit that followed the AW Ban, the CA DOJ was unable to define an AK rifle. I could be wrong on this, someone please correct me if I am.

Ed_Hazard
09-05-2010, 9:29 PM
let me clarify j and g armory did not discuss saigas that was added by me when i read the part of kalashnikov usa hunter rifle/saiga in the doj above. and what about the manufacturers how come we don't see russian aks on the market or chinese ones with fixed mags? is it because they are specifically listed and if so why are wasr's allowed they are ak's essentially but made in romania "created new firearm models
2001). (Penal Code §§ 12276.1) "

Well the saiga you mention is banned. That is why my kalishnakov branded saiga was registered as an AW. The ban only applied to that specific make and model. the current Saiga's are not them. They are exempt. the WASR 10 is also not named in the ban and is therefore exempt.

Basicly a WASR 10 is not an AK, but rather an AK type rifle.

Cokebottle
09-05-2010, 9:33 PM
when i read the part of kalashnikov usa hunter rifle/saiga
"kalashnikov usa hunter rifle/saiga" is not the same rifle as the current Russian American Armory Saiga.

bob7122
09-05-2010, 9:33 PM
i see that but what i worried about is those few words "created new firearm models
assault weapons by generic characteristics. so for the new firearm models from a new manufacturer all they have to do is have a fixed magazine and not be listed but what about the part in the doj that says to identify an ak; an ak does not matter the manfuacturer like it says on page 6 it says various on the assault weapons identification guide? and thankyou guys for your pacience i want to be very sure before i buy a wasr; cuz im too small to go to prison.

MrPlink
09-05-2010, 9:35 PM
let me clarify j and g armory did not discuss saigas that was added by me when i read the part of kalashnikov usa hunter rifle/saiga. and what about the manufacturers how come we don't see russian aks on the market or chinese ones with fixed mags? is it because they are specifically listed and if so why are wasr's allowed they are ak's essentially but made in romania

First of all, why the hell would you ask somebody in Arizona about California laws? Our laws are so convoluted that most fire owners, cops, and even FFLs in this state dont know them. (just today I had a LEO offer to trade a AR15 and when I asked him if it had a bullet button he had no idea what I was talking about)

anyways

Saigas ARE Russian made AK's. Just in a "sporster" configuration. Why are they not imported in their standard format? The first is because of 922r, a law which bans AW type rifles of foreign make (or requires a minimum number of American made parts to be legal ) as well as I believe Russia has its own laws about exporting civilian fire arms in AW format.

Most of the current imported AK pattern rifles you see in their traditional form are typically brought in parts and re-assembled state side using some American made components to meet the Federal requirements of 922r. These parts include the ever so common Tapco fire control group, gas piston and muzzle break, such as what you would find on a WASR.

ARSENAL is an example of a company that does this with Saiga rifles. They re-convert them back to their Ak 100 series style. Though Arsenal will not sell directly to California, some of their models are legal here(off list), some are not.

As far as Chinese (Norinco) that a whole other mess...

Ed_Hazard
09-05-2010, 9:36 PM
Well if you buy your WASR 10 legaly their should be no worry about going to prison. The worst that could happen is the state demands you surrender the rifle or have you register it as an AW if they decide to pass a new ban.

jtmkinsd
09-05-2010, 9:36 PM
let me clarify j and g armory did not discuss saigas that was added by me when i read the part of kalashnikov usa hunter rifle/saiga in the doj above. and what about the manufacturers how come we don't see russian aks on the market or chinese ones with fixed mags? is it because they are specifically listed and if so why are wasr's allowed they are ak's essentially but made in romania

For the same reasons you will NOT find an "AR" type lower with "AR" on it...A good example is DPMS Panther series. CA defines anything from DPMS with "Panther" on it an assault weapon. All DPMS has to do is call it something else, put a bullet button on it, and they could ship to CA. But they CHOOSE not to. That's why all the lowers you see in CA have models like, LAR-15 (Rock River Arms), Stag-15 (Stag Arms) etc.

Cokebottle
09-05-2010, 9:40 PM
My understanding is that AK receivers not bearing the AK designation are legal to own in CA since, in a lawsuit that followed the AW Ban, the CA DOJ was unable to define an AK rifle. I could be wrong on this, someone please correct me if I am.
There are a number of "named receivers" based on the AK platform that are banned, but are not marked "AK":

American Arms: AK-C 47, AK-F 47
American Arms: , AK-Y 39, AK-F 39
Arsenal: SLG (all)
Arsenal: SLR (all)
B-West: AK-47 (all)
Hesse Arms: Model 47 (all)
Hesse Arms: Wieger STG 940 Rifle
Inter Ordnance - Monroe, NC: AK-47 (all)
Inter Ordnance - Monroe, NC: M-97
Inter Ordnance - Monroe, NC: RPK
Kalashnikov USA: Hunter Rifle / Saiga
MAADI CO: MISR (all)
MAADI CO: MISTR (all)
Mitchell Arms, Inc.: AK-47 (all)
Mitchell Arms, Inc.: AK-47 Cal .308 (all)
Mitchell Arms, Inc.: M-76, M-90
Mitchell Arms, Inc.: RPK
Norinco: 81 S (all)
Norinco: 86 (all)
Norinco: AK-47 (all)
Norinco: Hunter Rifle
Norinco: MAK 90
Norinco: NHM 90, 90-2, 91 Sport
Norinco: RPK Rifle
Ohio Ordnance Works: AK-74
Ohio Ordnance Works: ROMAK 991
Valmet: 76 S, Hunter Rifle
WUM: WUM (all)
IMI: Galil, Uzi
MAADI CO: AK47, ARM
Made in China: 56, 56S, 84S, 86S, AKS
Made in China: AK, AK47, AK47S, AKM
Norinco: 56, 56 S, 84S, 86S
Poly technologies: AK47, AKS

bob7122
09-05-2010, 9:45 PM
It is important to note that removal of a firearm’s characteristics does not affect its status as a Category
2 assault weapon. A Category 2 assault weapon is still an assault weapon even if it has no Category 3
(SB 23 - generic characteristics) features.
Category 2 assault weapons may be of any caliber, including .22 caliber rimfire.
W
e
a
p
o
n
AK Series Weapons
The following pages show markings and illustrations of AK series weapons subsequently identified as
Roberti-Roos assault weapons as a result of the California Supreme Court’s ruling in Kasler v. Lockyer on
August 16, 2000. Listed weapons were required to be purchased on or before August 16, 2000 and registered
as assault weapons on or before January 23, 2001, with the exception of original Category 1 (Roberti-Roos)
assault weapons, which were required to be registered on or before March 31, 1992. Category 1 weapon
models on the list are noted with asterisks.
The markings on each of these firearms can usually be found on the receiver. In some cases, the markings
appear on the trundle (between the barrel and the receiver).
A
K
7 If you encounter a suspected series weapon that is not specifically identified in
this booklet, please contact the Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887 for identification of that weapon.
Additional assault weapon models as they are identified will be included in future versions of this guide and
will be posted on our website at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/.
e
a
p
o
n
THAT WAS ONPAGE 57 IN THE BOOKLET AH AH AH! HELP!!!
HAS ANYBODY CALLED THIS NUMBER TO FIND OUT Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887 for identification of that weapon.

Cokebottle
09-05-2010, 9:45 PM
For the same reasons you will NOT find an "AR" type lower with "AR" on it...A good example is DPMS Panther series. CA defines anything from DPMS with "Panther" on it an assault weapon. All DPMS has to do is call it something else, put a bullet button on it, and they could ship to CA. But they CHOOSE not to. That's why all the lowers you see in CA have models like, LAR-15 (Rock River Arms), Stag-15 (Stag Arms) etc.
Also might have something to do with Colt having ownership of the name "AR-15" ;)

Legally, Stag, or anyone OTHER than the below listed manufacturers, could make a receiver and name it "AR-15" and not run afoul of California's assault weapon laws.

Colt: AR-15 (all)
Frankford Arsenal: AR-15 (all)
Olympic Arms: AR-15, Car-97, PCR (all)
Ordnance, Inc.: AR-15
Wilson Combat: AR-15

As a matter of fact... even though THESE manufacturers are on the banned list, even THEY could make an "AR-15" and it would still be legal (as long as Baer doesn't call his "Ultimate AR-15").
Likewise, even though the Armalite M15 is on the list, Colt could produce their own "M15" and it would still be an off-list receiver.

Armalite: AR-180
Beretta: AR-70
Daewoo: AR 100, AR110 C
SWD Incorporated: M11
Armalite: AR 10 (all), M15 (all)
Hesse Arms: HAR 15A2 (all)
Les Baer: Ultimate AR (all)

Yes... it would be VERY simple for these manufacturers to show support for California and make changes to their part numbers... and Colt has in fact done this, with the Colt LE6920 being on the list, their new LE6940 is not... so Colt actually does produce an OLL now.
But for the most part.... why would they?
Some of these manufacturers are no longer building the AR receivers, and of those that do, they are primarily doing so for military/LE contracts... civilian sales are not worth it, especially when they have competition from companies like JD who are producing receivers that retail for a little over $100.

The thorn in our side is not that these guns are unobtainable.... it's the fact that we can't import pre-ban guns that "made the list", either as new California residents, gift from a family member, bequest, etc...
Maybe dad is a Vietnam vet and wants me to have his Colt when he dies. Nope... can't happen since it's on the list.

bob7122
09-05-2010, 9:49 PM
THANKS EVERY ONE :60::iggy::59::iggy2::83::68:

bob7122
09-05-2010, 9:50 PM
It is important to note that removal of a firearm’s characteristics does not affect its status as a Category
2 assault weapon. A Category 2 assault weapon is still an assault weapon even if it has no Category 3
Category 2 assault weapons may be of any caliber, including .22 caliber rimfire.
W
e
a
p
o
n
AK Series Weapons
The following pages show markings and illustrations of AK series weapons subsequently identified as
Roberti-Roos assault weapons as a result of the California Supreme Court’s ruling in Kasler v. Lockyer on
August 16, 2000. Listed weapons were required to be purchased on or before August 16, 2000 and registered
as assault weapons on or before January 23, 2001, with the exception of original Category 1 (Roberti-Roos)
assault weapons, which were required to be registered on or before March 31, 1992. Category 1 weapon
models on the list are noted with asterisks.
The markings on each of these firearms can usually be found on the receiver. In some cases, the markings
appear on the trundle (between the barrel and the receiver).
A
K
7 If you encounter a suspected series weapon that is not specifically identified in
this booklet, please contact the Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887 for identification of that weapon.
Additional assault weapon models as they are identified will be included in future versions of this guide and
will be posted on our website at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/awguide/.
e
a
p
o
n
THAT WAS ONPAGE 57 IN THE BOOKLET AH AH AH! HELP!!!
HAS ANYBODY CALLED THIS NUMBER TO FIND OUT Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887 for identification of that weapon.

Cokebottle
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
That simply means that a RAW or un-RAW cannot be made "legal" by removal of the SB23 features.
An off-list receiver is not a Category 2 assault weapon any more than a Ruger 10/22 receiver is a Category 2 assault weapon.

An off list receiver can be made into a Category 3 assault weapon through the addition of SB23 features, and removal of those features would return it to legal status, though it would not negate the fact that a felony occurred when it was assembled.

The lower receiver MUST be SPECIFICALLY listed BY EXACT NAME on one of the two lists... either the Roberti-Roos or the Kasler list.
The DOJ was able to add new receivers to those lists until the window closed in 2006. The list is now frozen, and to reopen it would require legislative action, including a new "grace period" where receivers added to the list would be allowed to be registered.

Trust me... the LAST thing the gun grabbers in Sacramento want is for another open registration period, as that would allow for us to remove our bullet buttons and use high-caps!

bob7122
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
THANK YOU

bigthaiboy
09-05-2010, 11:58 PM
You probably spoke to the same know-nothing muppet at J&G SALES as this Calgunner did: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=323218&highlight=j%26amp%3Bg+sales

C.W.M.V.
09-06-2010, 12:53 AM
This is why I refuse to do business with them. Tools.

Quiet
09-06-2010, 1:15 AM
J&G Sales will not modify a firearm to be CA legal.
If the firearm is not legal in it's stock form in CA, then they will not sell it to a CA resident.

Check out Henderson Defense (Henderson, NV) and/or New Frontier Armory (North Las Vegas, NV). Both of them will modify firearms to be CA legal.

bob7122
09-06-2010, 7:38 AM
damn it it was a fine piece of machinery, it had everything i wanted, EVERYTHING, shame i have to be in AZ to get it . if anyone knows a WASR10/63 WITH VERTICAL WOODEN FORGRIP LET ME KNOW I WANT ONE SO BAD.:59::iggy2::13::25::11::82:

Cokebottle
09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
damn it it was a fine piece of machinery, it had everything i wanted, EVERYTHING, shame i have to be in AZ to get it . if anyone knows a WASR10/63 WITH VERTICAL WOODEN FORGRIP LET ME KNOW I WANT ONE SO BAD.
The foregrip can be changed quite easily.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AK-RO10.aspx
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/stkaka04.aspx
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/stkaka12.aspx

Just buy a WASR-10 from Riflegear or import one from Henderson Defense and swap out the handguard.

Mail Clerk
09-06-2010, 10:54 AM
bob7122,

I don't remember all the legalities regarding the assualy rifle band of long ago but I do know is that if you have the so called "bullet button" attached AND the rifle has a 10 round magazine it's then legal to have and shoot in California. I just visited last week Sunday the Costa Mesa gun show and I saw "ATF" there with thier own table handing out printed material on California legal guns/rifles. Since practically everyone was selling evil guns in the AR and AK platform they are all considered legal to own and shoot! If not I'm sure ATF would have shut down the entire show. All the rifles in question had bullet buttons attached along with a ten tound magazine. If I were you I'd go talk to a California gun shop that sells them and you can get the straight poop. If you look carefully on this website there a chart defining what leagl and what's not.

Mail Clerk

bigthaiboy
09-06-2010, 11:35 AM
bob7122,

I don't remember all the legalities regarding the assualy rifle band of long ago but I do know is that if you have the so called "bullet button" attached AND the rifle has a 10 round magazine it's then legal to have and shoot in California. I just visited last week Sunday the Costa Mesa gun show and I saw "ATF" there with thier own table handing out printed material on California legal guns/rifles. Since practically everyone was selling evil guns in the AR and AK platform they are all considered legal to own and shoot! If not I'm sure ATF would have shut down the entire show. All the rifles in question had bullet buttons attached along with a ten tound magazine. If I were you I'd go talk to a California gun shop that sells them and you can get the straight poop. If you look carefully on this website there a chart defining what leagl and what's not.

Mail Clerk

The BATF only enforce Federal law, not State law. The current ban (PC 12276) is CA law which is the concern of CA Dept of Justice, not ATF.

bob7122
09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
thanks

bob7122
09-06-2010, 11:40 AM
coke bottle
will the foregrip interfere with 922r compliance issue

icefire
09-06-2010, 11:47 AM
The laws you posted have been changed. In 2005, and again in 2007. The DOJ can NOT add any more makes or models to the banned list, ever. By law. If your make AND exact model isnt on the banned list, and you put a mag lock or bullet button on it, and only use up to 10 round mags, you are perfectly LEGAL with an AK. or just keep it 'featureless' ....Saigas and WASR's are very popular in Cali right now. Big 5 Sporting Goods even sells the I.O. CASAR AK model in many california stores. Others sell them here as well. . So, go ahead and enjoy like the rest of us....Keep it featureless, or go all-out, it's up to you....and your wallet, not the laws...

bob7122
09-06-2010, 1:00 PM
thankyou icefire

destro360
09-06-2010, 1:45 PM
yeah dude.... go to big 5 and go ape sh*t! haha you can get a fore grip for like 5 dollars used and slap it on the thing.. i personally hate them and chop them off ;)

Quiet
09-06-2010, 3:04 PM
coke bottle
will the foregrip interfere with 922r compliance issue

A forward pistol grip triggers Fed 922r compliance.

However, the WASR10 & 10/63 have been modified by Century International Arms to be compliant with Fed 922r.

So, you can purchase a WASR10 or WASR10/63 without a forward pistol grip and add it yourself without worrying about needing to comply with Fed 922r.

Cokebottle
09-06-2010, 5:44 PM
A forward pistol grip triggers Fed 922r compliance.

However, the WASR10 & 10/63 have been modified by Century International Arms to be compliant with Fed 922r.

So, you can purchase a WASR10 or WASR10/63 without a forward pistol grip and add it yourself without worrying about needing to comply with Fed 922r.
That's what I thought... the original furniture is already used, but enough other domestic parts are used (FCG/barrel/piston/compensator?) to be in the clear.

Also, my understanding of 922(r) is that it only affects manufacturing.
This is an issue to guys who are building their own, because they are manufacturing, but for someone who purchases a complete WASR/Cesar/etc... modification is not a problem.... correct?
Where's Librarian? ;)

bob7122
09-06-2010, 6:44 PM
what if i build the foregrip out of oak would that be considered a us part

Cokebottle
09-06-2010, 6:47 PM
what if i build the foregrip out of oak would that be considered a us part
As long as you're in the US when you build it ;)

Similarly, taking an imported barrel and imported muzzle compensator, then permanently welding the comp to the barrel, legally qualifies the formerly two imported parts as one US made part.

Librarian
09-06-2010, 6:55 PM
Where's Librarian? ;)

Hiding out! 922(r) is out of my area, and the magic incantations to manipulate parts to satisfy it even more so.

You guys handled the AK/assault weapon stuff before I got here.