PDA

View Full Version : traveling with non roster handgun in ca

colddeadhands
09-05-2010, 9:37 PM
First let me say, I am not a CA resident, I dont Live in CA.
I am looking at an AK pistol. Sorry. I know you can be in possession of off list pistols in CA, but this one would probably classify as "scary". If i get a 10 round mag can I take it to CA with me when I visit? This is all based on it being a "pistol" reciever.

Thanks for the help.

nn3453
09-05-2010, 9:41 PM
If it is CA legal, you should be fine. You will have to fix the 10 round mag in place using a mag lock of some sort. You're better off leaving it home. You can travel with other "normal" handguns that don't fall under Roberti-Roos.

colddeadhands
09-05-2010, 9:46 PM
I was under the impression that the mag locks are ways around the OLL problem, which applies to rifle recievers. Am i wrong?

nn3453
09-05-2010, 9:48 PM
Roberti-Roos bans

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip."

Quiet
09-06-2010, 12:38 AM
To be legal in CA...
The AK pistol needs to have a magazine lock and the use of 10 round magazines.

The magazine lock negates PC 12276.1(a)(4) and with 10 round magazines negates PC 12276.1(a)(5).

Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Quiet
09-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Roberti-Roos bans

Has nothing to do with AK pistols.

colddeadhands
09-06-2010, 8:14 AM
Thanks guys.

landslide03
09-06-2010, 8:37 AM
The CA legel AK pistols i have seen for sale all have a bullet button and a sled mag, meaning it does not accept any rounds. It is meant as a single shot gun only. I would do yourself a favor and just leave it where you are when you travel to CA

Quiet
09-06-2010, 8:46 AM
The CA legel AK pistols i have seen for sale all have a bullet button and a sled mag, meaning it does not accept any rounds. It is meant as a single shot gun only. I would do yourself a favor and just leave it where you are when you travel to CA

After you take possession of it, it is legal to remove the 0 round magazine/sled and use a 10 round magazine. :Pirate:

nn3453
09-06-2010, 8:59 AM
Has nothing to do with AK pistols.

Yeah, in my head Roberti-Roos = PC 12276

Thanks for the clarification.

Ron-Solo
09-06-2010, 11:05 PM
You can possess "off roster" handguns. The restriction is CA residents buying them from dealers. We can buy them via private party transfer thru an FFL, along with a few other exemptions.

The AK pistol without a 10 rd mag and a maglock falls under the "assault weapon by feature" nonsense.

Any other non-AW pistol is OK, just don't bring any magazines greater than 10 round capacity. That is another can of worms.