PDA

View Full Version : Semi-auto rifle options?

PCC
09-05-2010, 8:36 PM
I have a Daewoo DR200 that I bought before the ban. It is registered. It has a metal tube welded to the end of the barrel to hide the threads for a flash hider and it has a dumb looking thumb hole stock.

The questions:
If this is a registered firearm, can I put a pistol grip and separate butt stock onto it and not make the firearm illegal in any way? Am I already covered by the existing ban that my firearm falls under or would this reclassify my weapon?

If I install a bullet button onto it would I still be required to carry my paperwork with me to go to the gun range? What does installing a BB do in the overall scheme of things?

What are my options for transferring this firearm to my son when he comes of age to own it?

Thanks!

sevensix2x51
09-05-2010, 8:50 PM
if im not mistaken, if you have a registered assault weapon, you can do whatever the hell you want, with no bullet button, as long as the barrel remains 16"+ and the overall length of the rifle is 26" or longer. the only thing you cannot do is transfer it to your boy. but dont fret, the ban will soon be gone and you wont have to worry!! thanks to cgf and the hardworking folks behind the scenes!

!@#$
09-05-2010, 9:05 PM
still 922r to deal with.

dachan
09-05-2010, 10:49 PM
still 922r to deal with.

Doesn't 922r only apply to post-922r imports?

PCC
09-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Doesn't 922r only apply to post-922r imports?

Speaking of which, this is a post-922r import so this is a very important point. Do I still need to comply with 922r?

Thanks for the answers, folks!

JagerTroop
09-05-2010, 11:12 PM
922r is federal, so, yes.

If you put a bullet button on it, it is still a Reg'd AW. You would have to "unregister" it, provided it is not banned by name. However, if you unregister it, you may get stoned to death by some of the younger calgunners whom never had the opportunity to aquire a Reg'd AW. It would be a waste of an AW. Once you un-reg, you can't go back.

dieselpower
09-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Yes, but you are covered for 922r....are you not?

In any event you dont need a BB and you can uncover the threads. Pistol grips and all the evil stuff is OK for you. As sevensix said, you just need to maintain the barrel at 16+inches and overall is 26".

PCC
09-06-2010, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the information, everyone! This has been very informative. I'll keep the 'Woo as-is but I will install that ACE butt-stock and pistol grip kit that I once installed but removed when I got paranoid about it. Yes, that kit is 922r compliant.

the only thing you cannot do is transfer it to your boy. but dont fret, the ban will soon be gone and you wont have to worry!! thanks to cgf and the hardworking folks behind the scenes!
Can someone point me to information about this? This is the biggest reason that I want to move out of this state.

mjpjr
09-06-2010, 9:18 AM
12.Can I inherit and keep a registered assault weapon?
No. Pursuant to California Penal Code section 12285(b), any person who obtains title to a registered assault weapon by bequest or intestate succession shall, within 90 days, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer who has a permit from the Department of Justice to purchase assault weapons, obtain a permit from the Department of Justice to possess assault weapons, or remove the weapon from this state.

Problem is I dont think you can get assualt weapon permits from DOJ anymore.