PDA

View Full Version : What vest should I get for my rifle tactical class

temecula
09-05-2010, 7:10 PM
Hi folks. I need your suggestions as I will have my rifle's training class around next 4 weeks. I think i should get a vest for my safety and a helmet too. :)

Thanks

tomd1584
09-05-2010, 7:26 PM
tactical vest, or body armor? Avest wont do very much for safety if there's no kevlar. Even then, without plates, rifle rounds will go right through.

Is it a level 1 class? If so i'd just get a chest rig, or some belt worn pouches.

This really should go in the General Discussion section....

dieselpower
09-05-2010, 11:18 PM
It depends on the class. Most i have been to (non-swat) a chest rig is all that is needed.

saving up for this bad boy now. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-03-Modular-Split-Front-Chest-Harness-03-MSF-p/03%20msf1%20ranger%20green.htm

The hydration pack is worth it in SoCal.

temecula
09-06-2010, 9:41 AM
Sorry if i posted in the wrong section since I'm not sure where to post.

I think i need a body armor vest. Class3a with plate carrier. ( is it legal in CALI ? )

Thanks

BoostedPenGuin
09-06-2010, 9:44 AM
All body armor is legal in CA.

Some business restrict the selling of it.

Now it is illegal to commit a crime with body armor on. Extra charges on top of whatever you were doing.

Merc1500
09-06-2010, 9:49 AM
It depends on the class. Most i have been to (non-swat) a chest rig is all that is needed.

saving up for this bad boy now. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-03-Modular-Split-Front-Chest-Harness-03-MSF-p/03%20msf1%20ranger%20green.htm

The hydration pack is worth it in SoCal.

Wonder how good 20 rounders would fit in that??:shifty:

dieselpower
09-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Wonder how good 20 rounders would fit in that??:shifty:

Styrofoam and glue makes long pockets shorter. :D

Merc1500
09-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Good idea! Thanks!

mif_slim
09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
All body armor is legal in CA.

Some business restrict the selling of it.

Now it is illegal to commit a crime with body armor on. Extra charges on top of whatever you were doing.

lol, I like how you will can't use a body armor to commit crimes anymore. ;)

RRichie09
09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
lol, I like how you will can't use a body armor to commit crimes anymore. ;)

I don't like it at all. I feel so vulnerable.

Ishoot
09-06-2010, 1:07 PM
Im a fan of the ESSTAC vest. http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac_Chest_Rig_LBB_Load_Bearing_Boar_p/ess.520.htm
Here's general purpose body armor.. http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac_Chest_Rig_LBB_Load_Bearing_Boar_p/ess.520.htm
Have fun. :)

Fjold
09-06-2010, 1:18 PM
What kind of rifle training class?

Is the body armor and helmet to enhance the class lesson or is it for potection from others in the class?

tomd1584
09-06-2010, 3:09 PM
What kind of rifle training class?

Is the body armor and helmet to enhance the class lesson or is it for potection from others in the class?

These were my next questions.

Are these mandated by the instructor? Or is this just partially for the cool factor? Because soft armor + quality plates & and good carrier are going to set you back close to $1,000.

temecula
09-07-2010, 2:52 PM
It is just a 4 hours training rifle tactical class. Just for my safety reason.

jrau13
09-07-2010, 3:02 PM
It is just a 4 hours training rifle tactical class. Just for my safety reason.

No one is going to question your thoughts on safety first but I don't think you will be needing this for a standard carbine class. Just a way to carry mags and holster.

BANG BANG
09-07-2010, 4:42 PM
US palm makes a nice vest with level 3 protection with mag pouches. $199.00

Or for basic mag and pistol carrying I was interested in the UTG tactical vest $50.00
From most places online.

badicedog
09-07-2010, 5:47 PM
Get an Eagle Industries Rhodesian and don't look back.

ArkinDomino
09-07-2010, 6:30 PM
I've been eyeing one of those BCM chest rigs. Sems like it would get the job done for an easy $185.

ArkinDomino
09-07-2010, 6:30 PM
I've been eyeing one of those BCM chest rigs. Seems like it would get the job done for an easy $185. Anyone here with actual experience with it?

tomd1584
09-07-2010, 6:35 PM
I've been eyeing one of those BCM chest rigs. Seems like it would get the job done for an easy $185. Anyone here with actual experience with it?

Here is a good review:

http://www.03designgroup.com/reviews/bcm-03-msf-chest-harness

VictorFranko
09-07-2010, 6:44 PM
Dumped my vest for one of these and I like it, especially in the hot weather.
Blackhawk Drop Leg 4 Magazine.
Much easier to access your mags in the prone position too.
With my vest, that gives me 10 mags.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/9VwUj3ptGfRBoKZwpc6CSCTPqpDfQP8VnCcHVs1bR47RfFjk8g 3Pugs_mdfh9RgBEZ9zj8vLxoDT72RUeUfRh4wvRbC1ftHG4fAx 0RR2zlg3n0CgHVA2Rq4sWy_3iN-1xV4ct29ZOHOg12tgB1HF4j76l6JdAc2VPvuI2nZq7RKUeZFeB EmYODdO8fBhTyWrjnqhT6dQBRcdcMY2FAStNEso

pacrimguru
09-07-2010, 6:48 PM
if this is your first class and if its a beginner class, do yourself a favor and don't do the vest thing. save the money and take the class first. after the class, you can evaluate what you need and not need. i've taken quite a few classes and to this day i have yet to use anything but a belt and mag pouches.

dchang0
09-07-2010, 6:58 PM
Listen to pacrimguru. He knows what he's talking about.

For a four hour class, the most you'll need is two belt pouches each for rifle and pistol. The round counts aren't going to be high enough to need more UNLESS you are running 10rnd mags. Plus, you will get to see firsthand what gear works and what doesn't because some other idiot will be trying it for all to see and laugh at.

tomd1584
09-07-2010, 7:00 PM
if this is your first class and if its a beginner class, do yourself a favor and don't do the vest thing. save the money and take the class first. after the class, you can evaluate what you need and not need. i've taken quite a few classes and to this day i have yet to use anything but a belt and mag pouches.

NOT the cool thing to do. :p

I completely agree 100%.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-07-2010, 7:02 PM

:iagree: Nothing screams mall ninja like showing up in a full tactical kit when everybody else is in jeans. Call the instructors and see what they want you to bring. It will save you from looking like a chairborne ranger. If you really need something to hold some mags, and possibly a few pouches, go hit ebay and pick up a surplus Molle lightweight vest carrier and some milsurp mag pouches. Some places on there even offer pre-made set ups for around $30. Usually 3 double mag pouches and a few other sizes tossed in. They aren't as good as some of the custom rigs, but they are inexpensive, and hold up reasonably well. And you can shuffle things arounds on them to put things where it is comfortable for you. If your class will be outdoors, look at a camelbak or something similar as well. And don't forrget the sunscreen and a hat.

PyroFox79
09-07-2010, 7:20 PM
Try your local surplus store. You can usually find a really good deal on used gear. I got a blackhawk Patrol belt that came with a serpa holster, some random pouch, and a thich rig platform for like 70 bucks. Another cheap route is a USGI RACK vest you can usually find them for like 20-40 bucks

SuperSet
09-07-2010, 7:26 PM
4 hours is a short class so I'm guessing that the material covered won't be very comprehensive. I can't imagine how having a tactical vest will help you as the advanced ninja stuff usually comes into play on Day 2 or 3. Like others have mentioned, a belt rig works well.

Plisk
09-07-2010, 7:28 PM
:iagree: Nothing screams mall ninja like showing up in a full tactical kit when everybody else is in jeans. Call the instructors and see what they want you to bring. It will save you from looking like a chairborne ranger. If you really need something to hold some mags, and possibly a few pouches, go hit ebay and pick up a surplus Molle lightweight vest carrier and some milsurp mag pouches. Some places on there even offer pre-made set ups for around $30. Usually 3 double mag pouches and a few other sizes tossed in. They aren't as good as some of the custom rigs, but they are inexpensive, and hold up reasonably well. And you can shuffle things arounds on them to put things where it is comfortable for you. If your class will be outdoors, look at a camelbak or something similar as well. And don't forrget the sunscreen and a hat.

Monkeyboy here is dead on. Talk to your instructors first.

Here's another thing to think about, this is something that's making me retool my vest rig for my next rifle class. You have armor carriers and plate carriers. Armor carriers will hold Soft armor and hard rifle plates. The wrap around soft armor may make you feel like you're in your own warm armored womb safe from anything. But you're going to a rifle class, rifle rounds glide through soft armor. If anything you want hard plates. Soft armor + hard plates is way too damn heavy. Get a simple plate carrier, it will hold everything you need. Ammo, water, and if you want the protection; plates.

Also, don't worry about a helmet. Just more weight you won't need.

I know it's seems dark planning around the idea that another classmate is going to pop you in the ***, but you'd much rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

tomd1584
09-07-2010, 7:30 PM
http://blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=12&prod_id=185

http://blueforcegear.com/prodImg/10Spd6PackFull02@8001.jpg

dchang0
09-07-2010, 7:40 PM
LOL-- Yeah, would everyone here who's ever worn a ballistic helmet please raise their heads?

And of course, anyone who does never really wore a ballistic helmet, because those damned things result in permanent neck injury...

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 7:42 PM
Who makes a good quality AR-15 kydex mag pouch for your belt?

I would like to snag some of those up....

Justin

BlackDrop50
09-07-2010, 8:13 PM
If you are only going to wear it once, just go with something cheap and skip the armor.

If you plan on using it often or in different scenarios/situations...

The best IMO is the Mayflower Low Profile Armor Carrier and UW Chest Rig.
http://www.mayflower-rc.org/

Different options:
Soft Armor
Soft Armor + Plates
Soft Armor + Chest Rig
Soft Armor/Plates + Chest Rig
Plates
Plates + Chest Rig
Chest Rig

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-07-2010, 8:13 PM

Justin
click on the blue force gear link above.

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 8:16 PM
^^^ Got it thank you!

Justin

NiteQwill
09-07-2010, 8:22 PM
My advice is to never buy new gear before any class.

Why? Because you will learn the HARD way why "this-and-that-pouch" should not be "there-or-here" on your body/rig. It makes for a very cumbersome learning experience and only slows you down. Operate light and friendly with your first class, you will learn much more.

If anything, have a sturdy gun belt, holster (if you are using a secondary weapon), and 1 or 2 no-frills mag pouches (AR/AK/Whatever mags).

My last carbine class: Wilderness tactical 5-stitch belt, 2 AR kydex mag pouches, 4 kydex 1911 mag pouch, secondary weapon with kydex holster, and my AR. I ran it fast and hard and without the silliness of fumbling with gear like my fellow classmates.

In any case, my go-slow-go-hard gear with an Eagle CIRAS with a Tactical Tailor custom rig and MCH helmet.

And of course, anyone who does never really wore a ballistic helmet, because those damned things result in permanent neck injury...

The MCH/ACH is very lightweight. Having worn it for hours and hours training, I can say it is a great improvement than the k-pots that we were once issued.

themailman
09-07-2010, 8:27 PM
Lol at this thread.

I wear a kevlar helmet, sapis, and an MTV when I shoot at work, and trust me, they are not necessary for anything but combat.

What you need is a solid belt, a roll up dump pouch, and a thigh rig to carry a few mags. Less is more when it comes to a situation like this. A simple chest rig would work as well.

When I attended a Suarez International class on carbine gunfighting in Colorado, I wore the following:

Padded Patrol Belt
Eagle 4 mag pouch
Dump Pouch

It was an easily worn rig, comfortable, and easy to use.

WILDMAN442
09-07-2010, 8:29 PM
My advice is to never buy new gear before any class.

Why? Because you will learn the HARD way why "this-and-that-pouch" should not be "there-or-here" on your body/rig. It makes for a very cumbersome learning experience and only slows you down. Operate light and friendly with your first class, you will learn much more.

If anything, have a sturdy gun belt, holster (if you are using a secondary weapon), and 1 or 2 no-frills mag pouches (AR/AK/Whatever mags).

My last carbine class: Wilderness tactical 5-stitch belt, 2 AR kydex mag pouches, 4 kydex 1911 mag pouch, secondary weapon with kydex holster, and my AR. I ran it fast and hard and without the silliness of fumbling with gear like my fellow classmates.

In any case, my go-slow-go-hard gear with an Eagle CIRAS with a Tactical Tailor custom rig and MCH helmet.

The MCH/ACH is very lightweight. Having worn it for hours and hours training, I can say it is a great improvement than the k-pots that we were once issued.

Which Kydex AR mag pouches are you running? I almost am looking at buying up some Kydex sheets and trying to do it myself... Worried about melting to my Pmags though....

Justin

NiteQwill
09-07-2010, 8:39 PM
Which Kydex AR mag pouches are you running? I almost am looking at buying up some Kydex sheets and trying to do it myself... Worried about melting to my Pmags though....

Justin

I use both blueforce and comp-tac. I lean toward comp-tac because the width (1.75") is more precise and fits nicely on the belt. The mags are very, very easy (FAST) to draw out but stay in place with all the jumping, kneeling, prone, supine, etc. positions.

HalfMeltingEyes
09-07-2010, 8:42 PM
Styrofoam and glue makes long pockets shorter. :D

Could always just stuff it with a sock. ;)

tomd1584
09-07-2010, 8:44 PM

Justin

Brian @ Atomic dog holsters makes a nice kydex mag pouch. I have a dual glock and a dual AR mag pouch, both are very nice.

and they're both $25 each. Right now his lead time is about 4 weeks.

www.atomicdogholsters.com

pyromensch
09-07-2010, 8:51 PM
a fine soft wool, double breasted with a watch pocket

mwt1980
09-07-2010, 9:45 PM
this can't be real...who honestly believes they need a helmet and a body armor rig for a 4 hour class.

i mean i have all that stuff but i use it on a daily basis to patrol my 1500 square foot house and to look at myself in the mirror.

But if you are not going to use it everyday like me...i would opt for something cheaper.
:happybday:

vinny_land
09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Ok so this is what I run when im out on my buddies field, its cheap and light enough to not get into the extremes of a mall ninja.
-5.11 Operator belt
http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/Accessories/Belts/Operator-Belt-1-34-Wide/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50800:50806/I/59405#
-5.11 AR mag pouch (holds the magpul Pmags wonderfully)
http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-double-mag-bungee.html
-5.11 pistol mag pouch
http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tadomagpo.html
-5.11 (bladetech) holster
http://blade-tech.com/2-pc-attachment-Revolution-Springfield-XD-9-40-4-pr-1287.html#product_images

I was lucky enough to get it all from Lapolicegear.com for a cheap price and everything works great. Havent taken any classes but I figure from just doing drills in the field, its ample enough.

technique
09-08-2010, 4:36 AM
Hey, How ya doin?

Did I get your attention?:D
Listen, you won't need full armor for a class that doesn't require it. And trust me when I say you won't wanna wear it for a class that isn't requiring you to, not even for 4 hours. You wanna have fun and enjoy this class, when wearing armor (especially for those who aren't used to armor) it's like relearning everything you know. Adjusting your shouldering, prone, kneeling...trust me man...don't do it if you don't have to.

As far as personal safety is concerned, if you get there and feel like it's an unsafe environment... you need to leave immediately anyway. Everything should be safe, everything should be controlled. Accidents happen, and dumbarses are everywhere but a good instructor knows this and has prepared their class with this in mind, especially a level 1 class.

I highly recommend this rig here, http://www.originalsoegear.com/mwrl.html

You are gonna wanna get something MODULAR...because the first thing you'll do after the class is FIX your original setup. The name of the game is evolution, you will learn from your gear mistakes and fix them...You will be able to prep for any type of class..Basic, Advanced, Carbine, Pistol, Precision Rifle, Tactical medicine...so on and so forth!

Good luck, have fun, be safe....and be ready to get hooked.

jrau13
09-08-2010, 6:56 AM
Hey, How ya doin?

Did I get your attention?:D
Listen, you won't need full armor for a class that doesn't require it. And trust me when I say you won't wanna wear it for a class that isn't requiring you to, not even for 4 hours. You wanna have fun and enjoy this class, when wearing armor (especially for those who aren't used to armor) it's like relearning everything you know. Adjusting your shouldering, prone, kneeling...trust me man...don't do it if you don't have to.

As far as personal safety is concerned, if you get there and feel like it's an unsafe environment... you need to leave immediately anyway. Everything should be safe, everything should be controlled. Accidents happen, and dumbarses are everywhere but a good instructor knows this and has prepared their class with this in mind, especially a level 1 class.

I highly recommend this rig here, http://www.originalsoegear.com/mwrl.html

You are gonna wanna get something MODULAR...because the first thing you'll do after the class is FIX your original setup. The name of the game is evolution, you will learn from your gear mistakes and fix them...You will be able to prep for any type of class..Basic, Advanced, Carbine, Pistol, Precision Rifle, Tactical medicine...so on and so forth!

Good luck, have fun, be safe....and be ready to get hooked.

:iagree:

pacrimguru
09-08-2010, 10:54 AM
a fine soft wool, double breasted with a watch pocket

^ this!