PDA

View Full Version : Question about CA residency proof

ruchik
09-05-2010, 7:34 PM
So I'm going to pick up a handgun this Saturday from a fellow Calgunner at Reed's. I have a residential lease agreement with my parents, which according to Reed's and Kerley's is acceptable. My question is, however, is that I plan on moving to Hayward within 2-3 weeks. Here's my situation:

1) I DROS the gun, pick it up on the 21st, then move to Hayward.

2) I DROS the gun, move to Hayward, then pick up the gun.

Is there a problem with either of these situations, in that my place of residency is changing relatively soon, either right before or right after I take possession of the gun? The address on my driver's license and my new place of residency would no longer be the same, but they WOULD be the same when I actually pay for and DROS the gun.

ArtP88
09-05-2010, 8:18 PM
As long as you state where you live - at the time you fill out paperwork - I don't think it matters. The form does not ask where you think you might live in three weeks.

OneSevenDeuce
09-05-2010, 8:23 PM
You are not asked to prove your residence at the time of pick up, only when DROSing. You are fine.

jtmkinsd
09-05-2010, 9:35 PM
DOJ doesn't care what city you live in, simply if you're a CA resident. If you lived in Crescent City up by the border with OR, you could DROS a gun in San Diego.

BayAreaShooter
09-05-2010, 9:54 PM
DOJ doesn't care what city you live in, simply if you're a CA resident. If you lived in Crescent City up by the border with OR, you could DROS a gun in San Diego.

Well they do care if you are living in the residency that you have provided on your drivers license. If you are still living there on the day of purchase you should be good. I am not 100% on that so do some more research of your own. If you would like to find out for sure call The Bureau of Firearms of California and ask for yourself. Here is the number. 916-263-4887. I normally call them when I have a legal question I need a definite answer to. good luck.

jtmkinsd
09-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Well they do care if you are living in the residency that you have provided on your drivers license. If you are still living there on the day of purchase you should be good. I am not 100% on that so do some more research of your own. If you would like to find out for sure call The Bureau of Firearms of California and ask for yourself. Here is the number. 916-263-4887. I normally call them when I have a legal question I need a definite answer to. good luck.

Not accurate...if you're not living at the address on your license, the Federal form 4473 requires you have something from a government agency which proves you still reside in CA, which can be in the form of a voter registration card, DMV paperwork, Municipal utility bill (government owned utilities), or property tax bill, court papers...basically anything from a government agency that has the address you're currently living at and that address is on the 4473. CA DOJ only requires you to reside IN CA. I could make up an address and put in your DROS and you will not be denied because your residency is determined from the license number...not the address.

BTW DOJ can give bad advice too...it's happened a number of times where they will tell someone they can't do something when in reality they can.

eldog36
09-06-2010, 12:50 AM
I have a pretty complicated moving history within the last year. I Passed through the DROS registration with 3 different addresses (all CA) with no problem. My current address is current through the DMV but I don't have a DL with my new address. My Vehicle registration was one address, my DL was another, and I used my now current address to fill out the DROS info. No red flags, got my gun in 10 days. I wouldn't sweat it.

BayAreaShooter
09-07-2010, 2:46 PM
Not accurate...if you're not living at the address on your license, the Federal form 4473 requires you have something from a government agency which proves you still reside in CA, which can be in the form of a voter registration card, DMV paperwork, Municipal utility bill (government owned utilities), or property tax bill, court papers...basically anything from a government agency that has the address you're currently living at and that address is on the 4473. CA DOJ only requires you to reside IN CA. I could make up an address and put in your DROS and you will not be denied because your residency is determined from the license number...not the address.

BTW DOJ can give bad advice too...it's happened a number of times where they will tell someone they can't do something when in reality they can.

Thank you for correcting my mistake. :D I remember I called the DOJ once and asked them about open carry laws. The lady kept trying to lead me to believe that I could not open carry in city limits without actually telling me I could not. Finally I just said can I do it or not. She said yes but advised me that it was not a great idea to do so.

ArtP88
09-08-2010, 2:24 PM
Just another tidbit of info...

I have heard from two FFL's that there is no contact from DOJ when when a person is clear to pickup. It's a "if you don't hear from us, release the gun in ten". Also stated was they check nothing except criminal record. In essence, that means they run a name through a computer and if that name and birthday don't come back as prohibited, nothing happens and you're allowed to pickup. They aren't verifying any information.

Remember, this is all heresay, and I doubt DOJ releases how they do things internally, so there's no way to verify.

Imagine all the mistakes and denials if they verified info and it didn't come back right.