PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my new AR, place to shoot?

Deadon
09-05-2010, 3:32 PM
I stepped away from guns for a few years, family came first. Well I know have the itch! I bought this AR15
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=335140
and the next day bought this one
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=334852
I pick the other one up tomorrow:cool2:.
Im also about to start my AR10 Build.
So I need a place to shoot. I found this range and wanted to know if anyone has been there yet. Heres a link.
Spenceville Shooting Range & Wildlife Area
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=7530+Collins+Lake+Rd,+Oregon+House,+CA+95962 +%28Collins+Lake%29&daddr=Waldo+Rd&geocode=CSOvT5NO7IwyFYA-WAIdvbHE-CFsDvkHdcA-aA%3BFVAhVQId4PXE-A&hl=en&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=39.244485,-121.297989&sspn=0.350971,0.525284&ie=UTF8&ll=39.238103,-121.355667&spn=0.351003,0.525284&z=11

freonr22
09-05-2010, 3:34 PM
that is badd arse you got 2! welcome to black rifle disease

voiceoftheright
09-05-2010, 4:34 PM
Been to Spenceville a bunch. Pretty good overall but I suggest you get there fairly early if you want to shoot distance at all. There are berms that stagger up to about 300 yards. The far left is about 25 yards and far right is about as far as you can shoot up the hill. There are tables there as well if you are early enough to get one. If you are planning on shooting on a weekend, you better plan on waiting or getting there about 7 or 8 AM. There can be some morons there and since it's not run by anyone they pretty much can put everyone at risk. On 3 seperate occasions someone on the left has shot at the 25 yard berm while there have been people down at the 200 yard berms, so go with a friend who can watch the line as you go downrange to set up your targets. Also, (seems like common sense but it truly isn't) pick up your trash/targets when you are done. People take out washers and dryers and leave that crap, disgusting and a good way to get it shut down. Have fun!

bassbones
09-06-2010, 7:50 AM
been there a few times myself.. I usually go during the week.. we just did a mini clean up there a week or so ago...never had a pronblem but I never go on the weekend... usually a couple of people there but there is lots of room...

evidens83
09-06-2010, 8:02 AM
You just jumped into this and already bought 2?? Good job and congrats! BRD has definately gotten you :D

Deadon
09-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Yep Im also building a AR10. How does this look. Norcal industries is helping with the build.
Lower Receiver Parts Kit (.308)
308 Chrome Carrier w/Phosphated Bolt
24" .308 Fluted Bull Barrel w/Gas Block
.308 Forward Assist Spring
.308 Ejection Port Cover Pin
.308 Ejection Port Cover
.308 Charging Handle Assembly
Forward Assist Assembly (Round)
Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm M1

MAGPUL AR-10 PRS Stock assembly (ar10 buffer tube, spring, buffer end plate castle nut) - black
American Defense Bipod Mount
Harris Bipod 6-9 w notches rotate and swivel
American Defense QD 1 Piece Scope Mount - 30MM Dual Throw Levers
Daniel Defense .308 Lite Rail 12" for DPMS
Hoppes Bore Snake for Rifles .30 and .308 Calibers
AR10 Rifle Length Gas Tube
AR10 Gas Tube Pin (x2)
Rock River Arms
NM trigger, then it will be sent off to Gunsmith to receive work.
Also getting in on the JD machines Upper and lower.

I CANT WAIT!!!!

Deadon
09-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Been to Spenceville a bunch. Pretty good overall but I suggest you get there fairly early if you want to shoot distance at all. There are berms that stagger up to about 300 yards. The far left is about 25 yards and far right is about as far as you can shoot up the hill. There are tables there as well if you are early enough to get one. If you are planning on shooting on a weekend, you better plan on waiting or getting there about 7 or 8 AM. There can be some morons there and since it's not run by anyone they pretty much can put everyone at risk. On 3 seperate occasions someone on the left has shot at the 25 yard berm while there have been people down at the 200 yard berms, so go with a friend who can watch the line as you go downrange to set up your targets. Also, (seems like common sense but it truly isn't) pick up your trash/targets when you are done. People take out washers and dryers and leave that crap, disgusting and a good way to get it shut down. Have fun!
Thanks again for the info. My parents live up about five min. from collins. Is it close to the lake?
Ill pick up my stuff and also grab some others junk that I see. If its that close to my parents its somewhere Ill be all the time during the week day. I hope to avoid the crowds. Thanks again;)

Deadon
09-06-2010, 3:23 PM
WOOHOO Picked up my other AR today from sportsmans, talk about drawing a crowd,lol.
Any feedback on this setup before I fork out the cash? Thanks guys.

cmaher55
09-06-2010, 3:31 PM
Looks like you're in Lincoln or Roseville area...? Try Sac Valley Shooting Center out by Rancho Murietta. It's 23 minutes from Folsom out Scott Road. Great range, has silhouette out to 500 meters and a 1000 yard. No crazy people there and most people know what they are doing on the "non public" ranges. It's $150 a year. I've been a member there some 10 years now. I mostly do the 200, 300, 385, and 500 meter stuff with my sons or friends, soft points-non magnetic and you are good to go out there. Regards