PDA

View Full Version : I finally shot my Sig P226 today...

Havoc70
09-05-2010, 3:59 PM
I bought in April, but just haven't been able to find time to go to the range. So it was the first time firing a pistol since between 1998 and 2000. I'm pretty happy with how I did, but I need to work on trigger discipline, for sure. I also may buy a sig sight adjusting tool and see what I can do. Still, I'm pretty happy with how I shot it.

http://archon.silvertree.org/center_mass.jpg

Greg-Dawg
09-05-2010, 4:37 PM
Go take a handgun class.

Havoc70
09-05-2010, 4:44 PM
That's the plan, I'm not saying I shot it great, I didn't, but for being rusty I thought I did OK.

Greg-Dawg
09-05-2010, 4:47 PM
Trust me, taking a basic handgun course will give you piece of mind and save money on ammo.

It looks like your grouping is great at the center, but some strayed to the bottom left; just ease a bit on your trigger finger. You should be pressing straight to the rear.

Pics of the Sig? Show us your improvements!

Black Majik
09-05-2010, 5:09 PM
Congrats on your SIG, an excellent choice! :thumbsup:

rag9393
09-05-2010, 5:14 PM
I love my P226. Going to buy another one from yzernie as soon as I graduate fromthe academy.

Havoc70
09-05-2010, 5:15 PM
I agree! I also need to see what I can do to increase the depth of the grip, I have really long fingers at 6'10" and to put my finger on the trigger in the proper position it causes my finger to be really bent. Any suggestions? I have hogue grips on it now. Here's a couple of pics of it on the cleaning cloth getting ready for its bath.

http://archon.silvertree.org/sig_1_800.jpg
http://archon.silvertree.org/sig_2_800.jpg

9mmepiphany
09-05-2010, 5:18 PM
don't buy the sight adjustment tool just yet...you should never make an adjustment smaller than the group you're shooting

Black Majik
09-05-2010, 5:21 PM
I know where you're coming from as I have long fingers as well. However it's something we have to live with using the pad of our finger instead of giving into the urge to use... say, our first joint.

I've realized there are just some guns that'll work better than others, as for myself I don't shoot DA/SA guns as well because the long slack in the trigger bends my finger more than I like when I use the pad of my finger, just as you have described. Therefore, guns with consistent trigger pulls suit me much better since the trigger travel is noticeably shorter, so I'm not pulling the trigger so far to the rear as you would on a DA/SA gun. Such guns with shorter slack would be the 1911, Glocks, M&P, XDs and any other platform which has a consistent trigger pull.

Of course, your mileage my vary, but I share the same unpleasantness with long fingers.

Great guns though, those SIGs. I keep my P226 because it's been so dang reliable.

Havoc70
09-05-2010, 5:21 PM
Another silly question, as I'm a lot more familiar with rifles than pistols. With a pistol, do you cover the target by the front site, or do you put the target just on top of the front site post like a rifle?

Black Majik
09-05-2010, 5:26 PM
Another silly question, as I'm a lot more familiar with rifles than pistols. With a pistol, do you cover the target by the front site, or do you put it on top of it?

Depends on the sights actually. Look on your front / rear sights to see which you have, for example #6 front #8 rear. It'll give us an idea which sight picture you should use.

nemisis1400
09-05-2010, 5:29 PM
I believe that houge grips are the biggest that you can have on a sig, i run a crimson trace on mine so it's kinda fat and you can tell when you hold it. I also held onto some stock sigs, and the grips on those are much slimmer. Go to a place that rents handguns, most likely they will have a stock sig to hold onto.

9mmepiphany
09-05-2010, 5:34 PM
Ideally, you would place your aligned sights on the target, bisecting your desired target area with the top of the front blade

Havoc70
09-05-2010, 6:02 PM
Ideally, you would place your aligned sights on the target, bisecting your desired target area with the top of the front blade

Ah, I was "lollipoping" the target. Definitely going to get some one-on-one time with an instructor and I'm also thinking about going to Front Sight.

9mmepiphany
09-05-2010, 8:06 PM
the lollipop sight picture, also called the 6 o'clock hold works really well at know distances with a handgun...I used it when I shot PPC...but bisecting the target is a bit faster and more direct. You're still trying to put the bullet at the top of the front blade, but it doesn't work as well as with rifles, at the shorter distances and larger targets the handgun shooters tend to use.

the trigger press is exactly the same as with your rifle, you just compress the time of the press

I think the thickest grips on the market are the Hogue wood grips, the thinnest are the Hogue G10 and aluminum