PDA

View Full Version : Requirements of FFL and recourse against?

zfields
09-05-2010, 3:41 PM
I recently had a long gun dealer transfered out of state to a local FFL. So far its been an ok experience, but a bit of lack of communication.

Im wondering if the FFL I had the rifle transfered to has a required timeperiod that he must get the DROS rolling on it or not.

Part two: What recourse do I have against him if he continues to non respond?

thanks

SVT-40
09-05-2010, 5:43 PM
I'm not really clear on the question.

Did you send a LG out of state to be transferred to another individual in that state?

Or

Did you have a LG shipped into Calif to your local FFL for transfer to you?

zfields
09-05-2010, 5:47 PM
LG shipped in state to transfer.

SVT-40
09-05-2010, 5:52 PM
Okay that's more clear. There is no real "limit" to the time for DROS. How long has it been since it actually arrived at the FFL's location?

Have you actually stopped by the FFL to inspect the rifle? If so he should be able to do the DROS.

zfields
09-05-2010, 6:52 PM
PMed, id rather not find out the ffl is a member here.

jtmkinsd
09-05-2010, 9:55 PM
I recently had a long gun dealer transfered out of state to a local FFL. So far its been an ok experience, but a bit of lack of communication.

Im wondering if the FFL I had the rifle transfered to has a required timeperiod that he must get the DROS rolling on it or not.

thanks

If you had a gun shipped you should have gotten a tracking number for the shipping. This way you know exactly when the gun arrived and can then start asking "hey, what's the deal". I don't know what the exact issue is or how long is too long, but there is no real benefit for the FFL to sit on the gun. As far as recourse goes you really only have one...small claims court. If it's really out of hand you can tell the FFL to box and ship it back to where he got it from (at your expense) and chalk it up to learning one more FFL not to use...word of mouth goes a long way in this business.

tenpercentfirearms
09-06-2010, 12:11 AM

thanks

It is really entirely up to the customer to come in and start their DROS. If the customer asks me to give them a call, I will. If the gun just shows up, then I wait for the customer to come start their ten day wait.

Just keep trying. It could be the guy is really busy.

zfields
09-06-2010, 10:50 AM
If you had a gun shipped you should have gotten a tracking number for the shipping. This way you know exactly when the gun arrived and can then start asking "hey, what's the deal". I don't know what the exact issue is or how long is too long, but there is no real benefit for the FFL to sit on the gun. As far as recourse goes you really only have one...small claims court. If it's really out of hand you can tell the FFL to box and ship it back to where he got it from (at your expense) and chalk it up to learning one more FFL not to use...word of mouth goes a long way in this business.

I know he has it, I have the tracking number and he confirmed its there, but its basicaly "at his convience" to come and do paper work is the way hes making it sound.

It is really entirely up to the customer to come in and start their DROS. If the customer asks me to give them a call, I will. If the gun just shows up, then I wait for the customer to come start their ten day wait.

Just keep trying. It could be the guy is really busy.

If it was a store front, id be there the minute it showed up, but its a kitchen table FFL. Ive told him all the times I can come in ( and theres PLENTY of diffrent times weekend / weekdays ).

kemasa
09-06-2010, 3:29 PM
There is no real time period, but if he does not transfer it in a "reasonable" time period, then you can sue him in small claims court.

I would suggest calling as asking when the FFL can start the transfer, let him state the time, and see what happens.

zfields
09-06-2010, 8:05 PM
good to know, If i dont hear from him tommorow (when he is supposly free to start the transfer.....we shall see), I may just tell him to send it back. Id rather give my money to someone who wants to do the work. Sorry but 75$ to do a little paper work, with the expectation of a little service/communication isnt to much to ask in my view.