PDA

View Full Version : Open carry in California? Is this really true??

b00gym4n
09-05-2010, 1:42 PM
I've heard about it hear and there, but never really put any thought into it. Just recently I was watching the news about how people were open carrying their pistols in public w/o any permits as long as the gun is unloaded. They also talked about how they're in the process of banning it. Can anyone give me the specifics on open carrying?

I would like to open carry for as long as it is available and would help keep it available. As of right now can I go out and open carry?

Greg-Dawg
09-05-2010, 1:43 PM
Go to Opencarry.org.

trautert
09-05-2010, 1:53 PM
Or search on this forum for the numerous threads that are pro and (mostly) con about the whole subject.

b00gym4n
09-05-2010, 2:02 PM
To whoever told me not to do it can you tell me why? Not sure why you deleted your post. You're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate it.

safewaysecurity
09-05-2010, 2:02 PM
Where have you been? lol. Opencarry.org is a good place to start. Basic rules are keep the gun unloaded( no round in chamber or loaded magazine. You can keep the magazines on you makes sure the magazines are also exposed. Look up the channel pullnshoot25 on youtube he has a whole series about open carry in Cali.

HCz
09-05-2010, 2:04 PM
Since you are in SB county, might as well as just go for CCW permit.

b00gym4n
09-05-2010, 2:12 PM
I seriously had no idea about open carrying. I would apply for a CCW, but within a year I will be moving to a different county so I might just have to wait it out.

Does anyone here open carry? If not, why not?

b00gym4n
09-05-2010, 2:13 PM
Btw thanks for the youtube chan.

chiselchst
09-05-2010, 2:20 PM
PLEASE research the topic, and the history...

THEN you MUST Completely understand the LAW. Too much to explain here. If you're really interested, spend the time and do the research. It's your azz' that's on the line...

I'm not oppossed to UOC, just against unimformed folks "excersizing their rights"...

Knowledge is power. Unless you have LOTS of money, and time...

Infact - Lots of money and time might be requiredeven if you DO follow the law. Be prepared. Video, audio record all, with many witnesses...

gravedigger
09-05-2010, 2:23 PM
Good Lord! Are Internet message forums and text messaging really making us so lazy that we cannot finish typing "channel" :wacko:

safewaysecurity
09-05-2010, 2:24 PM
Btw thanks for the youtube chan.

No problem. Be sure to watch all the parts. They pretty much cover everything. It's been a while since I've seen it all but I think they got it for the most part. Remember zoning rules. Can' be within 1000ft of K-12 school grounds, can't be inside a courthouse or a federal building. I don't know exactly what the situation is with college campuses. Are you allowed to UOC on them? I don't believe it's specifically prohibited not sure though. I know concealed carry is prohibited on campus.

b00gym4n
09-05-2010, 2:25 PM
Good Lord! Are Internet message forums and text messaging really making us so lazy that we cannot finish typing "channel" :wacko:

Fyi imo smh diy lol.

Fjold
09-05-2010, 2:30 PM
The people who have gotten in trouble with open carry have usually (inadvertently) violated the gun free safe zone (1,000 feet from any part of the school grounds of any K-12 school). You must know where every public and private school is in the area that you want to UOC in.

b00gym4n
09-05-2010, 2:44 PM
Thanks for the info. It's good to know that I can with restrictions, however I don't think I will. The CCW sounds a lot better. Thanks again.

Fishslayer
09-05-2010, 3:23 PM
Never did get that "unloaded open carry" deal. Seems to me to be an invitation for some homeboy with his illegaly concealed AND loaded Glock to help himsef...

PistolS&W
09-05-2010, 3:29 PM
Never did get that "unloaded open carry" deal. Seems to me to be an invitation for some homeboy with his illegaly concealed AND loaded Glock to help himsef...

thats why i have a chain that connects my pistol to my waist. and i leave the key at home so no matter what he wont get my pistol. ive been robbed 3 times this week and still have my pistol :D GOOOO UOC!!!

shellyzsweet
09-05-2010, 3:36 PM
thats why i have a chain that connects my pistol to my waist. and i leave the key at home so no matter what he wont get my pistol. ive been robbed 3 times this week and still have my pistol :D GOOOO UOC!!!

I think (and HOPE) you forgot to add this smiley :rolleyes:

If so....I counter with this:
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Fishslayer
09-05-2010, 3:37 PM

That's the part I don't get. What's the point?

hehe... if it was a P&R M19 I might just SHOOT that chain off...:D

PistolS&W
09-05-2010, 3:43 PM
That's the part I don't get. What's the point?

hehe... if it was a P&R M19 I might just SHOOT that chain off...:D

Well i guess the idea is that in a certain scenario you can load and shoot quickly but that requires the threat to be either at a distance and obvious to you. or for you to always keep your back to a wall and draw on anyone within 10ft of you. but in a sense the same goes for a CCW holder because if i walk up and put a gun in your face you WONT draw on me nobodys going to draw on a guy whos pointing a gun to at there head.

so really no matter who you are and what you carry theres always a chance you can become a victim.

rudeboy3
09-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Well i guess the idea is that in a certain scenario you can load and shoot quickly but that requires the threat to be either at a distance and obvious to you. or for you to always keep your back to a wall and draw on anyone within 10ft of you. but in a sense the same goes for a CCW holder because if i walk up and put a gun in your face you WONT draw on me nobodys going to draw on a guy whos pointing a gun to at there head.

so really no matter who you are and what you carry theres always a chance you can become a victim.

Are you also in charge of a tactical response team in a large shopping center? Also can you write a sentence that somewhat, kind of, appears to be the english language?

Ballistic043
09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
The people who have gotten in trouble with open carry have usually (inadvertently) violated the gun free safe zone (1,000 feet from any part of the school grounds of any K-12 school). You must know where every public and private school is in the area that you want to UOC in.

around here, 1000 ft is about 3 square blocks. (approx 1100ft) so for safety 4 blocks safe distance around a school will keep me in the green zone.

i vote that we create a UOC flowchart. one wallet size, one 8.5x11 standard sheet. since 1934 got slammed, more people are going to use that as an excuse to carry. we should do everything in our power to make sure the uninformed get educated..

and yes, if you want to exersize your rights you better be able to afford it.

ChrisToad
09-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I found this site to be rather informative on the topic

californiaopencarry.org

PistolS&W
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
rudeboy3,

Actually im in charge of two tactical response teams and a disaster response team inside a chucky cheese. You should have seen it last saturday. I took a nurf bullet in the chest for chucky from an attempted assassin. Only thing that saved my life was the plastic Head of security badge over my heart. :detective:

DDG
09-06-2010, 12:51 PM
rudeboy3,

Actually im in charge of two tactical response teams and a disaster response team inside a chucky cheese. You should have seen it last saturday. I took a nurf bullet in the chest for chucky from an attempted assassin. Only thing that saved my life was the plastic Head of security badge over my heart. :detective:

That was you?

Sorry man. I just couldn't take that obnoxious oversized rodent any longer. I'll use better nerf awareness and control next time.:oops:

eccvets
09-07-2010, 1:02 AM
I highly suggest you not to. Just get a ccw and/or be discrete.

Also, everyone knows cops will always be there to save you and you never really need a gun in reality... The general public never needs guns! ever!

trendar5
09-07-2010, 1:23 AM
Are you also in charge of a tactical response team in a large shopping center? Also can you write a sentence that somewhat, kind of, appears to be the english language?

I'm still trying to figure out how one can get robbed three times in one week. Further, if somebody points a gun at my head, no matter how close they are to me, I have pre-planned that I am going to do something about it. So you can call me nobody.

CALATRAVA
09-07-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how one can get robbed three times in one week. Further, if somebody points a gun at my head, no matter how close they are to me, I have pre-planned that I am going to do something about it. So you can call me nobody.

If by "do something about it", you mean get shot in the head, you're right.

Ever have a gun pointed at you? I have.

It's not like the movies, brother. When they're looking right at you, all you can think of is how not to get shot. Reaching for your piece without some kind of significant distraction, does not fall in that category

norcal.xd
09-07-2010, 1:55 PM
rudeboy3,

thank god it wasnt a .50 cal nurf ball....lol

PistolS&W
09-07-2010, 4:45 PM

Hello Nobody im Kenny,

Nobody, you can plan all you want but until your in that situation you dont know how you will reacte. i plan to shoot to kill if my life or some one around me is in immediate danger but i wont know if i can do it until that time comes hopefully never.

PistolS&W
09-07-2010, 4:46 PM
thank god it wasnt a .50 cal nurf ball....lol

no i think it was just the equivalent of a 9mm in nerf. luckily a hollow foam point so it smooshed on impact with my plastic badge.

Cire 5th
09-07-2010, 4:49 PM
I've heard about it hear and there, but never really put any thought into it. Just recently I was watching the news about how people were open carrying their pistols in public w/o any permits as long as the gun is unloaded. They also talked about how they're in the process of banning it. Can anyone give me the specifics on open carrying?

I would like to open carry for as long as it is available and would help keep it available. As of right now can I go out and open carry?

The bill to ban Open Carry was struck down last week, AB1934 (correct me if I am wrong). Win for the Open Carry people.

mjpjr
09-07-2010, 5:08 PM
Has anyone actually UOC without informing the local PD first? If you notice, the UOC events that made the news, they called the local PD to tell them time and place and the local PD was there to calm the scared public. If I just opened carried, I would only be able to explain it was unloaded AFTER they cuffed and disarmed me. And I am willing to bet even then it would take a good lawyer or waiting until my court date before I received my firearm back.
There are alot of things you can legally do that the goverment doesnt want you to do. The question is can you afford the legal fees and time to fight for it? Over and over again?