PDA

View Full Version : Is there an area for LEFTIES?

Porscheguy
09-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I thought I came across a sub-forum on this site, searched and couldn't find it.

I'm looking for tips, tricks etc. for lefties. I'm pretty much ambidextrious so I can re-learn how to fire right-handed but I'd like to do well with both hands. Main issue is the slide release. I do fine with the mag release. I've heard of extenders. Will this be what I'd want?

Thanks people..

Peter.

ChrisTKHarris
09-05-2010, 12:33 PM
You should have purchased an ambi-HK P2000.

Greg-Dawg
09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Right handed shooters are more accurate.

HCz
09-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Just rack the slide.

edit: I'm a righty so I use slide lock/release most of the times, but if I shoot left handed, I just rack the slide.

armygunsmith
09-05-2010, 1:33 PM
^ agreed. Slingshot method works for me.

Fjold
09-05-2010, 1:47 PM
Lefties have a place, right behind the barn. :D

Rob454
09-05-2010, 1:49 PM
Nothing for lefties. They are considered to be zombie like on this forum and they are killed on sight.

JK
Im a leftie and and any trick for a right handed person works for a left handed person

Fishslayer
09-05-2010, 2:28 PM
Nothing for lefties. They are considered to be zombie like on this forum and they are killed on sight.

Especially if they have pretentious sports cars in a gun forum Avatar...:D

Rob454
09-05-2010, 6:28 PM

LOL QUICK change your avatar to the Beverly Hillbillies truck

M. D. Van Norman
09-05-2010, 7:07 PM
Buy a SIG-Sauer P-series semi-automatic pistol. It will feel better in your left hand and be easy enough to operate. ;)

NSR500
09-05-2010, 7:10 PM
The place for Lefties is in line right behind the Gingers.

8bitnintendo
09-05-2010, 7:12 PM
You should have purchased an ambi-HK P2000.
Ha, I've got one of those and I love it. I don't mind being a lefty, but I could do without also being right eye dominant :(

ChrisTKHarris
09-05-2010, 7:22 PM

:rofl:

todd2968
09-05-2010, 7:23 PM
amphi- charging handle and a B.A.D. bolt release

wilit
09-05-2010, 7:49 PM

LOL...

http://www.leftorium.com/images/leftorium_400.jpg

pyromensch
09-05-2010, 8:15 PM
Ha, I've got one of those and I love it. I don't mind being a lefty, but I could do without also being right eye dominant :(

better than crossed-eyed dominant, can't miss one shot, two hits:)

Rob454
09-05-2010, 8:19 PM

jesus you poor b*****d. Watching you shoot must be a exercise in futility JK
Im the same way. its not bad with pistols. Try it with a bolt action rifle made for a right hand shooter. ive been compared to a epileptic with a touch of autism patient when shooting rifles. ive been retraining to shoot right handed and I can say I can successfully have the same epileptic look shooting right and left handed now.:D

Dubious_Beans
09-05-2010, 8:21 PM
Yeah, left handed and right eye dominant here too...

It sucks.

Fjold
09-05-2010, 8:29 PM
I thought I came across a sub-forum on this site, searched and couldn't find it.

I'm looking for tips, tricks etc. for lefties. I'm pretty much ambidextrious so I can re-learn how to fire right-handed but I'd like to do well with both hands. Main issue is the slide release. I do fine with the mag release. I've heard of extenders. Will this be what I'd want?

Thanks people..

Peter.

We're just jerking you around here. :D

I'm a lefty and left eye dominant so I shoot everything left handed. With most pistols I can reach the slide release with my trigger or middle fingers so that's what I use.

sevensix2x51
09-05-2010, 9:25 PM
im right handed, right eye dominant and STILL dont use the slide catch/release. i just rack it once more. :thumbsup: i guess to hold it back when the range gets called cold it is nice, but that is not the same as combat. you can just toss it into your right hand and catch it and place it on the table..

twotap
09-05-2010, 9:29 PM
1911-slide release-trigger finger, for me anyway.

Everyone is born right handed ,some of us get over it

Remington 870 saftey--- an o-ring will keep your trigger finger from putting it on when shooting..

Porscheguy
09-05-2010, 9:29 PM

Don't forget the huge penis.

I had no guns for the avatar at the time and well, the dick wouldn't fit in the avatar now would it. :D

Oh, and that car is my hate the btch so there! really early mid-life crisis, most expensive bottle of prozac I'll have you know.

Not done for attention, done for something to get me to leave the front door after 8 months. Worked quite well. Sadly, in my town, this car wouldn't get a second look. Ferarris barely get second looks.

Porscheguy
09-05-2010, 9:38 PM
im right handed, right eye dominant and STILL dont use the slide catch/release. i just rack it once more. :thumbsup: i guess to hold it back when the range gets called cold it is nice, but that is not the same as combat. you can just toss it into your right hand and catch it and place it on the table..

I've been thinking a lot about something like this.

Also, I'm left handed, and as all left-handed people, we're pretty good with our right hand as we've HAD to learn how to use it. I kick *** in pool, fencing, etc. because I can switch right off.

Here's the thing. I too, am right eye dominant. Not only am I right eye dominant, my left eye has a stigmatism and is bad. I learned to shoot by holding in my left hand and looking through my right eye, same as playing pool too. So I've really put some thought into just learning to shoot with my right hand.

I did after all learn to play guitar right handed. I figured it'd be easier to do that than to always have to restring a guitar and never be able to borrow anyone elses. So, I've kind of planned to learn to shoot with my right hand anyway. I still would like the option of either hand though and that's why I asked about any additions that may help.

I'm getting Lasik on my left eye but won't change the fact that I'm right eye dominant. I also have 20/16 vision in my right so that ain't half-bad either eh?

I was thinking maybe putting a site on the side of the gun too so when I hold it gangsta style, I'll have better aiming??

0x80884
09-05-2010, 9:47 PM
Lefty here, and left eye dominant. Someone a while back said anything you can do right handed, you can do left. As long as you set yourself up right (switchable or ambidextrous mag releases for instance) you're good to go. I was also told that the slide release lever is the improper way, and the "slingshot" method will prevent premature wear on said release.

For lefties w/left eye dominance, spend some off-range time working your weapon of choice over and over again. Practice makes perfect. It's without a second thought that I can completely maneuver a handgun from a safe position, to fire ready, and back to safe both right & left handed. I've only been shooting pistols for a few months. Rock on guys!

8bitnintendo
09-05-2010, 10:14 PM
jesus you poor b*****d. Watching you shoot must be a exercise in futility JK
Im the same way. its not bad with pistols.
Yeah, pistols are no big deal (can center it over the dominant eye), rifles... er. I keep meaning to train myself to shoot rifles right-handed but it just feels wrong. The other alternative is closing my right eye... bad me.

sevensix2x51
09-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I've been thinking a lot about something like this.

Also, I'm left handed, and as all left-handed people, we're pretty good with our right hand as we've HAD to learn how to use it. I kick *** in pool, fencing, etc. because I can switch right off.

Here's the thing. I too, am right eye dominant. Not only am I right eye dominant, my left eye has a stigmatism and is bad. I learned to shoot by holding in my left hand and looking through my right eye, same as playing pool too. So I've really put some thought into just learning to shoot with my right hand.

I did after all learn to play guitar right handed. I figured it'd be easier to do that than to always have to restring a guitar and never be able to borrow anyone elses. So, I've kind of planned to learn to shoot with my right hand anyway. I still would like the option of either hand though and that's why I asked about any additions that may help.

I'm getting Lasik on my left eye but won't change the fact that I'm right eye dominant. I also have 20/16 vision in my right so that ain't half-bad either eh?

I was thinking maybe putting a site on the side of the gun too so when I hold it gangsta style, I'll have better aiming??

just get you an hk usp and put an ambi safety/decocker on it, youre good to go! i always try to shoot 2 handed, right handed(r eye,) and left handed(l eye) when i go to the range, and the hk mag release is awesome for that. i just need to add the ambi safety and im good.

JTecalo
09-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm a lefty but I'm right eyed, so I shoot right handed.

you know being left handed is almost like being a blond, don't you?

8bitnintendo
09-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Not so! I might qualify as a ginger though :cuss:

NSR500
09-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Not so! I might qualify as a ginger though :cuss:

Right there is the back of the line folks!!! A left handed ginger female with no Soul.
:rofl2:

sevensix2x51
09-05-2010, 10:47 PM
well, looks like you're out of the cgn somali pirate club... :(

slick_711
09-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Remington 870 saftey--- an o-ring will keep your trigger finger from putting it on when shooting..

The 870 safety is reversible. Look around on the net for a guide if need be. I've switched a few of them over for customers, it's not too hard. You just have to disassemble your trigger assembly.

8bitnintendo
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Right there is the back of the line folks!!! A left handed ginger female with no Soul. :rofl2:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/MissMiet/smiley/cry.gif

Or, my Mossberg 590A1 has a nice ambi-friendly receiver-mounted safety. And the (slide release? pump release?) is very accessible with the left index finger, either with the tip of the finger or with the middle of the second knuckle if you've got your finger on/near the trigger.

We really need a "Lefty friendly guns" list!

NSR500
09-05-2010, 11:34 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/MissMiet/smiley/cry.gif

I kid you... :) You're a good sport... ;)

Fishslayer
09-06-2010, 6:12 AM

...or evil. You know that the word "sinister" refers to lefthanders, right? In ancient times people who were left handed were considered evil or possessed by teh debbil.;)

Dubious_Beans
09-06-2010, 8:55 AM

I like shooting left handed-sideways-gangsta-style!

If you roll up the cuffs on your baggy pants and shoot left-handed-sideways, it'll toss the brass right into your cuff so you don't have to chase it all over the sidewalk.

http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/blackhole/images/brass_catcher_0415.jpg

Sorry about the out of focus photo from the gangsta-cam.

I sent away for some of those Birdman HoMeBoY sytes for the XD.
I gave 'em my credit card # over a month ago, but haven't received my package yet. Must be back-ordered...

k1dude
09-06-2010, 8:59 AM
I thought you meant politically!

I was going to suggest starting a sub-forum called 'FUD'! ;)

JTecalo
09-06-2010, 9:30 AM
...or evil. You know that the word "sinister" refers to lefthanders, right? In ancient times people who were left handed were considered evil or possessed by teh debbil.;)
Well, I found out last night I'm related to John Wesley Hardin and George W Bush so I guess I qualify.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-06-2010, 9:42 AM
Hm... I'm left-handed and have two daughters, one blond and one redhead. Guess that puts me 'way behind the barn! :D

Slide releases - don't use 'em except to lock the slide open. I use an over-the-slide grip with my support hand to grasp the rear of the slide. That uses large muscles and will work when the "slingshot" grasp won't.

Someone mentioned an O-ring trick for 870 safeties. Installing a left-handed safety is no great trick, and it's really fun when you hand it to one of those right-handers and watch 'em try to get a shot off... :devil:

vNaK
09-06-2010, 2:35 PM
Left handed here. I find using the slide release no problems with my trigger finger. Extenders will definitely help you. It made a difference for me when I tried a Glock with and without one, but was still able to use the standard slide release no problem. But guns like some of the Sigs or ones with safeties, are an issue for me as I can't reach the back with my trigger finger.

Porscheguy
09-06-2010, 2:43 PM
Right there is the back of the line folks!!! A left handed ginger female with no Soul.
:rofl2:

Trying to figure out your signature. It's been a few years since I've read all Hiragana....Mechya Kuchya----Pretty f'in good?? I'm horrible. Please tell...

Porscheguy
09-06-2010, 2:47 PM
I like shooting left handed-sideways-gangsta-style!

If you roll up the cuffs on your baggy pants and shoot left-handed-sideways, it'll toss the brass right into your cuff so you don't have to chase it all over the sidewalk.

http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/blackhole/images/brass_catcher_0415.jpg

Sorry about the out of focus photo from the gangsta-cam.

I sent away for some of those Birdman HoMeBoY sytes for the XD.
I gave 'em my credit card # over a month ago, but haven't received my package yet. Must be back-ordered...

****in tiiiigght brah. I need someone to shoot me like 19 times in non-vital areas so I can release an album with some street cred. f ya. I'll neva sell out tho!

CGK60
09-06-2010, 5:22 PM
Lefti power.