PDA

View Full Version : Wife's First Trip to the Range

adrenaline
09-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Okay, my wife was anti-gun (now she's like I'm still against it but you do what you want). With my desire to get into guns an shooting, I keep answering her year after year when she asks what I want for my birthday, "I want a handgun."

Every year she gets me cologne, etc. Stuff that girls think guys want since she's was kind of against me getting the handgun. This year for my birthday she gave in and allowed me to get my first handgun (HK USP 9mm). Now I've been to the range several times already, but want her to come with me.

She surprised me when I stated to her, "If any emergency situation came up, even if it was a last resort thing, could you even use the USP." She was wondering how hard it was? I answered not so hard but you would have to remember to put the loaded mag in, rack the slide, make sure the safety was off...and I also said you should know how it is too shoot it and the basic safety rules when handling if necessary. So she asked, "Well maybe you can take me to the range?"

That was a trip to me! So now I'm excited and want to plan everything out so that her experience is great.

- I have ear protection that I can lend her but was wondering if I should do plugs AND the ear muffs for her (some guys shoot cannons at the range and I don't want her to freak out from them).
- I don't have a 22LR hand gun but my father in law has a Beretta 950 .25 caliber. I should get that cleaned up and ready and have her shoot that first right?

Am I missing something? Have any of you ladies been in my wife's shoes a long time ago and you hubby's gotten you hooked? What was it that did it? :D

9mmepiphany
09-05-2010, 1:51 PM
I'd recommend taking her to an outdoor range during the week when it is less busy...if your schedule allows...or at least early before it gets crowded. I usually take my students to Sac Valley out by Ione and get a private range...it just makes teaching easier.

Plugs and muffs might be overdoing it, because she won't be able to hear you. I double up when shooting by myself indoors, but I have electronic muffs so I can turn up the volume if I need to hear.

remember to bring wet-wipes so she can clean her hands, before touching other stuff.

a hat is good to keep brass from dropping down the top of her eye protection.

If I were taking someone out, I don't think my first choice would be the Beretta 950. do you know anyone who has a .22lr you can borrow. I'd rather start some one on a mid-sized 9mm or .38spl than a .25ACP

adrenaline
09-05-2010, 6:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't thinking about the hat thing. I notice that my HK USP doesn't eject towards me but I like the extra pre-caution (remember my goal is to avoid anything that my dissuade her from doing it again). Also, if I decide to rent a .22lr I can't be sure how the rental ejects so good stuff there.

What is with the wet-wipes? I myself don't do that when I go to the range.

Robidouxs
09-05-2010, 7:20 PM
Wet wipes are utilized to clean the lead off of your hands.

9mmepiphany
09-05-2010, 7:55 PM
you don't go shooting with enough women ;)

they like to wipe up the lead and powder when they finish shooting, before they wash their hands

adrenaline
09-05-2010, 9:08 PM
Maybe I'm a total noob to shooting, but does everyone wipe and wash their hands immediately after shooting? I normally wash my hands and stuff when I get home. :confused:

Robidouxs
09-05-2010, 9:17 PM
I wash my hands soon as I finish shooting. I have found it to be not so fun cleaning off lead and powder residue from the lightly colored interior of my car.

rkt88edmo
09-05-2010, 9:43 PM
I always wash my hands at the range if possible (nearly always possible).

Yes on plugs and muffs.

Renting the .22lr pistol is also a good idea.

Jason_2111
09-05-2010, 9:55 PM
I always wash up immediately after shooting. Lead on your hands, not a good thing really. Especially if you see a Burger King and get a hankering for a Whopper... and eat it in the car with your unwashed hands. (I kinda did this once).

johnthomas
09-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I would just take her with what you have. She will either enjoy it or not. Follow all the safety rules, eyes and ears. Explain how the gun works, slide comes back, hold your hands like this, here is the stance I use, always keep the gun down range. Don't be a boss, be a teacher. You will do fine. I posted a thread last week about taking my Granddaughter to the range, today we went again, this time to an indoor range with the targets that you send down range and back to you so you can check it. She enjoys the range. Today she shot her 22 rifle, my cz52, Colt combat commander, glock 9mm and a s&w 45 long colt. If a 15 yo girl can handle all that, your wife will be able to do well with your 9mm.

Saym14
09-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree on the outdoor range. I just took my friend and his wife who was totally anti gun, until some wierdo pounded on her door late one night when he wasnt home. theyguy went a way but it convinced her she should own and know how to shoot a gun. I took them to west end and know she wants her own handgun and is leting her husband build an AR.

adrenaline
09-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I agree on the outdoor range. I just took my friend and his wife who was totally anti gun, until some wierdo pounded on her door late one night when he wasnt home. theyguy went a way but it convinced her she should own and know how to shoot a gun. I took them to west end and know she wants her own handgun and is leting her husband build an AR.Awww....you caught on to my quest to convert the anti-gunner world. I go around banging on doors of my anti-gun friends and then talk to them about guns the next day. LOL. I kid I kid. :D;)

A friend of mines has a Sig Mosquito and he jumps at every chance to go to the range with me so that might be a perfect time. Some really great advice here!

I sure hope she gets into it. Maybe I should e-mail her a picture of that STI Elektra? :D

shellyzsweet
09-05-2010, 11:08 PM
What is with the wet-wipes? I myself don't do that when I go to the range.

But your a guy. -Bring wet wipes.

shellyzsweet
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Honestly I'd start her on a .22lr revolver. It starts with the basics of trigger pull and grip and stance. It rotates and you don't have to worry about the slide slipping back and biting her hand, or a magazine and the slide locking back, or extraction issues (not that I expect any with your usp). From there I would move to a nice big framed .38 or .357 with .38 wad cutters in it which I would let her hold the night before and aim at a blank wall and dry fire with. Again it focuses on trigger pull, establishes familiarity, and make sure to have her focus on the front sight and steadying the weapon.
Once she's got the .38 at the range down and handling those rounds nicely you can move to the USP 9mm, which is where she can learn to deal with the slide, magazine, safety devices, jams and clearing. (the way I was taught to do this was my grandpa took brass and simulated a failure to feed or failure to extract, and I would have to clear the weapon then load it then rack it then fire it and reload for a total cycle.
Also don't just let her dry fire at a wall for a few minutes....give it a good hour or two. This is something i still do to this day when I want to practice at home and I've seen it improve my grouping.

-This is how I was taught to shoot, your mileage may vary.

It was easier for me cause I'm a daddy's girl and daddy liked guns, so I liked guns. But I started with a .22 rifle, then a .22 revolver then a 686 with .38 rounds, then .357 lights, then regular, then magnum. I then moved into semi-auto's when my grandpa thought I had a good solid foundation.

And yeah...I know its at least 2 guns to rent, but I think it will go smoother if you do it this way. Just my opinion tho.

adrenaline
09-06-2010, 1:24 AM
Honestly I'd start her on a .22lr revolver. It starts with the basics of trigger pull and grip and stance. It rotates and you don't have to worry about the slide slipping back and biting her hand, or a magazine and the slide locking back, or extraction issues (not that I expect any with your usp). From there I would move to a nice big framed .38 or .357 with .38 wad cutters in it which I would let her hold the night before and aim at a blank wall and dry fire with. Again it focuses on trigger pull, establishes familiarity, and make sure to have her focus on the front sight and steadying the weapon.
Once she's got the .38 at the range down and handling those rounds nicely you can move to the USP 9mm, which is where she can learn to deal with the slide, magazine, safety devices, jams and clearing. (the way I was taught to do this was my grandpa took brass and simulated a failure to feed or failure to extract, and I would have to clear the weapon then load it then rack it then fire it and reload for a total cycle.
Also don't just let her dry fire at a wall for a few minutes....give it a good hour or two. This is something i still do to this day when I want to practice at home and I've seen it improve my grouping.

-This is how I was taught to shoot, your mileage may vary.

It was easier for me cause I'm a daddy's girl and daddy liked guns, so I liked guns. But I started with a .22 rifle, then a .22 revolver then a 686 with .38 rounds, then .357 lights, then regular, then magnum. I then moved into semi-auto's when my grandpa thought I had a good solid foundation.

And yeah...I know its at least 2 guns to rent, but I think it will go smoother if you do it this way. Just my opinion tho.Your exactly how I want my daughter to be. Of course she's only a 1 year old right now...but I think I'll try to follow in your dad's footsteps. :)

As far as the wife goes, her dad has gotten into firearms only recently. Because you were a daddy's girl, I can understand your desire to shoot like your daddy did. My wife doesn't have that same desire. While you would dry-fire for a couple of hours, it might be a turn off to her if I told her that was the proper thing to do. I have snap caps so I'll have her do it for a 15-30 minutes as well as mag release, chambering a round, safety etc., but remember...she's doing it because we both feel she needs to know how to handle/shoot the USP. While I wish shooting was her passions, I have to take my baby steps and start with just day 1 at the range.

Darklyte27
09-06-2010, 5:02 PM
is that your wife in the avatar?

Education is usually effective but not when they are like a brick.

If she says "guns are bad" then ask why.
If you can, bring other friends who shoot and have her ask their opinion why they shoot guns.

Saym14
09-06-2010, 7:58 PM
Your exactly how I want my daughter to be. Of course she's only a 1 year old right now...but I think I'll try to follow in your dad's footsteps. :)

As far as the wife goes, her dad has gotten into firearms only recently. Because you were a daddy's girl, I can understand your desire to shoot like your daddy did. My wife doesn't have that same desire. While you would dry-fire for a couple of hours, it might be a turn off to her if I told her that was the proper thing to do. I have snap caps so I'll have her do it for a 15-30 minutes as well as mag release, chambering a round, safety etc., but remember...she's doing it because we both feel she needs to know how to handle/shoot the USP. While I wish shooting was her passions, I have to take my baby steps and start with just day 1 at the range.

my two girls started n ared ryder at 5 to 8 - then a pellet gun, then a 22, then the 9 the 223 and th1 12 Ga. they now have thier own 20 GA. now at 11 and 14 they can shoot everything I have. they go with me way more then the wife.

wheels
09-06-2010, 8:20 PM
Plugs and muffs might be overdoing it, because she won't be able to hear you. I double up when shooting by myself indoors, but I have electronic muffs so I can turn up the volume if I need to hear.

If I were taking someone out, I don't think my first choice would be the Beretta 950. do you know anyone who has a .22lr you can borrow. I'd rather start some one on a mid-sized 9mm or .38spl than a .25ACP

+1 on the above - just took my sister for her first outing, I made sure she got a cheapo ($30) set of electronic muffs so I could talk to her and help her with grip while she shot.

I was also glad I had a 380 auto in my bag of tricks - I personally can't tell much difference between 9mm & 380 auto, but in her hands 380 was as much as she could handle.

If a first range trip goes south it could be the last range trip for her. If you don't have some smaller caliber weapons for her to try see if the range has rentals and ask about smaller calibers. I intended to rent a smaller revolver since all I own are semi autos, but the range didn't have any. :confused:

Also make sure the range guy knows you are bringing a first time shooter in and ask if they can leave a lane clear around you or make sure that you are not next to someone with a cannon. When we first got in the guy next to us was shooting some cannon that was scaring the crap out of my sis, luckily he shot about 20 rounds then left, but it would have made it a 10 minute range visit otherwise. The range cleared out and we shot for almost 2 hours, she said had a blast.

adrenaline
09-07-2010, 5:20 AM
is that your wife in the avatar?

Education is usually effective but not when they are like a brick.

If she says "guns are bad" then ask why.
If you can, bring other friends who shoot and have her ask their opinion why they shoot guns.Yes that is my wife in my Avatar. She doesn't think guns are bad, she just thinks that bad things happen when safety isn't properly exercised. She thinks that if the risk is removed then the safety level is greater. I always argue that the risk isn't the gun, but the owner of the gun and that education, training, etc. is the proper way to remove the risk.

She's bought into it and hence why we have the gun. She trusts me. She is a registered nurse and when she gets to talking with her nurse co-workers, they agree that generally guns are a bad thing.

We do have other close friends that shoot (including his wife). I think I'll try to plan the range trip with them as well.

9mmepiphany
09-07-2010, 8:39 AM
If your looking for formal training to get her more comfortable, send me a PM.

I'm local to you and have worked with several shooters on the forum

Steyrlp10
09-07-2010, 12:44 PM
To the OP: What 9MM and Shelly said :)

In my former life, my ex just shoved every caliber, make, and model into my hands and expected me to take to those firearms like a fish to water. Yada-yada-yada.

I compete well today thanks to experienced guys at the range who have both patience and common sense -- they helped me, not him. You'll see several past threads on here from other Calgunners who have had similar experiences to what you're having now.

Since you're in 9MMs area, I encourage you to have a chat with him. He knows what he's talking about and will be an asset to you in helping your wife feel comfortable in handling a firearm. From there, she'll become more confident and perhaps, understand that having a healthy respect for guns may eventually change her views towards them.

adrenaline
10-25-2010, 5:45 AM
Okay, just wanted to post an update. We finally made it to the range yesterday. I took a gamble and decided to do the training myself. She did surprisingly well for a first time shooter and the .25 Beretta. She had 5 inch grouping with it at 7 yards. She then really wanted to try my 9mm. She was anticipating more recoil so her shots weren't as accurate as the .25 caliber.

She was saying initially that the ear protection wasn't good enough so we went back out and I did ear plugs + ear muffs. She liked that a lot. A guy was shooting a .50 cal and made her go WOW...but with the double ear protection she was just fine.

My primary goal was met. She wants to go again and even asked me last night if she could buy her own gun. She said she wants a .22 caliber full size gun (that my buddy had). She really liked shooting accurately with the smaller calibers, but really wants to work up to my 9mm.

So to recap:

1. She wants to go again (woohoo)
2. She wants her own gun (suprise to me)
3. She posted on her Facebook and has impressed her anti-gun friends, family, and colleagues. (kind of like...if she can do it...then guns must not be that scary...my wife is dainty.)

:D

Steyrlp10
10-25-2010, 6:47 AM
Okay, just wanted to post an update. We finally made it to the range yesterday. I took a gamble and decided to do the training myself. She did surprisingly well for a first time shooter and the .25 Beretta. She had 5 inch grouping with it at 7 yards. She then really wanted to try my 9mm. She was anticipating more recoil so her shots weren't as accurate as the .25 caliber.

She was saying initially that the ear protection wasn't good enough so we went back out and I did ear plugs + ear muffs. She liked that a lot. A guy was shooting a .50 cal and made her go WOW...but with the double ear protection she was just fine.

My primary goal was met. She wants to go again and even asked me last night if she could buy her own gun. She said she wants a .22 caliber full size gun (that my buddy had). She really liked shooting accurately with the smaller calibers, but really wants to work up to my 9mm.

So to recap:

1. She wants to go again (woohoo)
2. She wants her own gun (suprise to me)
3. She posted on her Facebook and has impressed her anti-gun friends, family, and colleagues. (kind of like...if she can do it...then guns must not be that scary...my wife is dainty.)

Outstanding!

She needs to get a Calguns handle to continue her bragging rights on FB :)
Glad she's having a great time -- and spending it with you!

choprzrul
10-25-2010, 7:26 AM
Ok, this thread is full of WIN. Congrats adrenaline on a successful outing with the mrs.! I have found that my wife REALLY likes to shoot .22s at reactive targets. Anything that gives immediate feedback is just fine. She has a Beretta u22 Neos with a halo sight on it that she really likes. Here is an example:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/beretta/ber_neos_6_bl.jpg

I just got done building this Marlin 795 for her:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/IMAG0063.jpg

You might consider starting her with her own 22. Plenty of fun and inexpensive to shoot. Again, congrats on a successful introduction to the shooting world for your wife.

9mmepiphany
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
She said she wants a .22 caliber full size gun (that my buddy had). She really liked shooting accurately with the smaller calibers, but really wants to work up to my 9mm.
too bad they don't make a .22lr conversion for the USP

I'm a big advocate of conversion units for full sized guns, because it helps with familiarization with increased handling. I usually recommend the Sig 226 or 228 and the factory conversion unit.

just as a side note, RE: noise, It may be a bit further drive, but SacValley is a lot more open than Rancho and seems generally more pleasant for new shooters...assuming you're shooting outdoors

sniper5
10-25-2010, 4:47 PM
My wife's combo:

She was an anti until a couple of years ago. Now huge range rat. She's a teacher, hence the t-shirt.

Steyrlp10
10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
My wife's combo:

She was an anti until a couple of years ago. Now huge range rat. She's a teacher, hence the t-shirt.

Very nice, thanks for sharing! :)

I liked the T-shirt because I say a similar thing when non-gun people sneer at my shooting; I remind them that it's an Olympic event. I also smiled at the blue ammo box... drove my Better Half crazy when he found out I have a Dillon account. I now know who swipes my catalogue when the mailman drops by - lol

Catheaven
10-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Glad to hear the range trip was a success.

I have to say I was the same as she was up until about almost 2 years ago. i refused to let my husband own gun and there was no way i was going to shoot one.

Well a camping trip and talking with some friends totally converted me. i shot my first shotgun about 2 years ago and at first I didn't like it and now I love it. (I shoot skeet a bit and I participated in my first shotgun match this year. I stunk but it was so much fun). I hear it all the time how i was adamant that there would be no guns in my house yet I bought a gun before my husband.

i think it was just the fun and adrenaline which changed my opinion. Also getting educated about guns and that when used safely can be recreational and fun.

kdmmcc
11-01-2010, 1:59 PM
Maybe I'm a total noob to shooting, but does everyone wipe and wash their hands immediately after shooting? I normally wash my hands and stuff when I get home. :confused:

I wash my hands and forearms before leaving the range, every single time. You should before eating, drinking, smoking or using the restroom. When I took my future wife to the range for the first time, (she chose not to shoot), she asked for wet wipes... so now I keep them handy.

iareConfusE
11-01-2010, 7:26 PM

Unless you want some lead in your system, yeah, wash those hands well.

Also, this story was pretty awesome. Good job on getting your wife into guns.

Calweep
11-01-2010, 7:40 PM
Just want to share my experience here... I started with .45 (because that's the only caliber handgun my husband got), and it was really scary... but after several trips to the range, I tried .22 and 9mm from others, I felt nothing... =)

Still, for ladies, and first-time, I would still recommend start from small caliber...:chris:

Catheaven
11-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Just want to share my experience here... I started with .45 (because that's the only caliber handgun my husband got), and it was really scary... but after several trips to the range, I tried .22 and 9mm from others, I felt nothing... =)

Still, for ladies, and first-time, I would still recommend start from small caliber...:chris:

That's what I started with also. If i remember right one of the first guns I ever shot was kimber 1911. I do admit though that it did freak me out since I had never shot a gun in my life. I shoot a .40 cal now. When I first shot a .22 I couldn't believe how it felt. It felt like nothing. I don't think though that I would mind owning a .22 or 9mm someday just because it is kind of nice not having that extra kick.

Janecas
11-12-2010, 2:55 PM
Well...coming from a ladies point of view...I can relate to her. I had never shot a gun and frankly was against guns all together. And then I met my boyfriend is a hunter and gun collector. He always asked me if I wanted to shoot and I always told him no cause I was always afraid of something happening. But with him teaching me and showing me the proper way to shoot...I finally shot my first gun almost 2 years ago which was a Ruger single six .22 mag. My first time wasn't at a range...it was actually out in the country on some family's property which I'm so glad that it was there. I felt more at ease knowing that I didn't have eyes watching my every move. Remember safety...eyes and ears. I just used ear plugs. The second type of gun that I shot was his Marlin 336 .30-30.

Don't give up hope!!! She'll come around when she's ready!! We're actually getting ready to get me my own gun Ruger sp101!!!

FreedomMom
11-14-2010, 11:26 PM
So glad your wife as become one of us! We need more gunpowder girls around! Now, to find a way to get my husband more interested.....:confused:

I'd highly suggest getting her into a class, even better if it's a women's class with a female instructor. Check out Babes with Bullets....http://babeswithbullets.com/

Steyrlp10
11-15-2010, 6:20 AM
So glad your wife as become one of us! We need more gunpowder girls around! Now, to find a way to get my husband more interested.....:confused:

I'd highly suggest getting her into a class, even better if it's a women's class with a female instructor. Check out Babes with Bullets....http://babeswithbullets.com/

Interesting what you said about your husband. I had to smile... it's pretty similar in my house too although I get all his support in doing well. As long as I keep putting fish in the boat, he won't admit me to Calguns Rehab :)

FreedomMom
11-15-2010, 7:45 AM
ha! I thought I must be the only one who's dynamics are 'backwards'. I blame it all on genetics and my Dad! :) My husband never grew up around guns, and although he's not an 'anti' he's still not as enthusiastic as I am, but maybe in time I'll get him converted fully. He has is own pistol, and wants to go to the range on occasion, so I'm not doing too bad.

Eljay
11-15-2010, 3:54 PM
That's cool it went so well. Just having that initial positive response can make a huge difference, even if she only goes occasionally herself.

JJ1911
11-26-2010, 10:45 PM
What's interesting is my special lady tried .22s and didn't really like em. Tried 9mm, still not that enthus. Put a 1911 in her hands and BOOM she's freakin Todd Jarret. She is also 100lbs soaking wet, and she LOVES .45 1911s, they are the only ones she really enjoys shooting.

1911whore
11-27-2010, 11:01 AM
That is great. It is always nice when we can convert the anti's.

I have been looking to make more friends in the area that shoot. I have a limited circle of friends and have been looking to expand that. (off topic I know but....)

Quinc
11-27-2010, 1:52 PM
What's interesting is my special lady tried .22s and didn't really like em. Tried 9mm, still not that enthus. Put a 1911 in her hands and BOOM she's freakin Todd Jarret. She is also 100lbs soaking wet, and she LOVES .45 1911s, they are the only ones she really enjoys shooting.

Same thing with my girl, her favorite gun to shoot is the Mosin.

SixPointEight
11-27-2010, 2:09 PM
Same thing with my girl, her favorite gun to shoot is the Mosin.

Mine too! I let here shoot a .22 bleh. How about my super tacticool operator AR. Noobs love to be operators. Bleh. Well...you can shoot the cannon, and she freaking loves it.

Just bought her one of her own.