PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get a SBR license in CA?

Steve1968LS2
09-05-2010, 8:47 AM
Building an AR and was thinking of doing a short barrel version.. is it even possilble to do in CA?

If so then what's the steps to take?

I know in a free state there's some paperwork and a fee (200?)

Thanks

Crowesnest
09-05-2010, 9:02 AM
Building an AR and was thinking of doing a short barrel version.. is it even possilble to do in CA?

Thanks

Machine Guns, Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns Or Smooth Bore Pistol Under California Law:

Special permits may be obtained from the Department of Justice to possess machine guns and short-barreled rifles or shotguns, but permits are normally issued only for law enforcement or for motion picture or television production. Unlawful possession of a short-barreled rifle, shotgun, a smooth bore pistol or machine gun may be punished as a misdemeanor, or as a felony with a sentence of three years in state prison. A person convicted of misdemeanor machine gun possession may not own any firearm in California for ten years. California allows ownership of specific short-barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns and smoothbore pistols, which have been classified as Curios and Relics by the ATF and are owned in accord with Federal law.

This is where state and local laws can supersede Federal laws. Technically, you can own an SBR as long as you have paid your tax stamp to the ATF, unless you reside in a jurisdiction which strictly prohibits possession of such a weapon. Kalifornia is one of those states.

Crowesnest
09-05-2010, 9:24 AM

Thanks

Kalifornia is not a "FREE" state. We are the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIK OF KALIFORNIA. :censored:

jtmkinsd
09-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks

You can call DOJ and ask about a permit...if you listen closely you'll be able to hear the laughter in the background before they hang up on you.

ar15barrels
09-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Are you close personal friends or a major campaign contributor to the police chief of your city or the sherriff of your county?
If so, call him and ask if he will sign an ATF form 1 for you.
Then, are you close personal friends or a major campaign contributor to the Ca Attorney General?

If the answer is yes to these questions, then you are in luck.
If you can't answer yes to these questions, the answer is no.

thedrickel
09-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm not that up to speed on NFA stuff, but a trust would get you out of the CLEO signoff right? So you would just need the SBR permit from the DOJ and then it's all boilerplate stuff with the ATF.

ar15barrels
09-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm not that up to speed on NFA stuff, but a trust would get you out of the CLEO signoff right?
So you would just need the SBR permit from the DOJ and then it's all boilerplate stuff with the ATF.

Yep.
It's so easy even a caveman could do it.

NFA type permits are harder to get than AW permits.
Look how many people are getting issued AW permits. ;)

PsychGuy274
09-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm not that up to speed on NFA stuff, but a trust would get you out of the CLEO signoff right? So you would just need the SBR permit from the DOJ and then it's all boilerplate stuff with the ATF.

Free State = yes

Trust will get you out of the CLEO sign-off, finger prints and updated picture. Still gotta pay the $200 tax stamp though :(

Kalifornia = no

Technically you are allowed to own NFA weapons with a "dangerous weapons permit." Good luck with that one. I don't believe any civilian has ever gotten one in Kalifornia.

Quiet
09-05-2010, 11:22 PM
The CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit is near impossible to get.
The fact is, unless you are currently working in the movie/TV industry as a prop master employed by a major studio, you will not be approved for one.

The BATFE will not approve a Form 1/4 for a DD/MG/SBR/SBS unless the applicant has a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit.

Also note...
-Dangerous Weapons Permit application fee is $321 + $51 Fed/State fingerprint fee + $25 live scan fee.
-The Dangerous Weapons Permit has an annual renewal fee $165-$1500 depending on the amount of dangerous weapons.
-Dangerous Weapons Permit holders are also required to register the dangerous weapon, register all the locations where the dangerous weapon will be stored and register all the vehicles which will transport the dangerous weapon.
-Storing and/or transporting the dangerous weapon in a non-registered location and/or vehicle is grounds to have the Dangerous Weapons Permit revoked, the dangerous weapon to be confiscated and the permit holder to be fined.
-CA DOJ BOF is allowed to conduct inspection audits on Dangerous Weapons Permit holders to ensure they are operating in compliance of CA laws.

NeoWeird
09-06-2010, 3:27 AM
The CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit is near impossible to get.
The fact is, unless you are currently working in the movie/TV industry as a prop master employed by a major studio, you will not be approved for one.

The BATFE will not approve a Form 1/4 for a DD/MG/SBR/SBS unless the applicant has a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit.

Also note...
-Dangerous Weapons Permit application fee is $321 + $51 Fed/State fingerprint fee + $25 live scan fee.
-The Dangerous Weapons Permit has an annual renewal fee $165-$1500 depending on the amount of dangerous weapons.
-Dangerous Weapons Permit holders are also required to register the dangerous weapon, register all the locations where the dangerous weapon will be stored and register all the vehicles which will transport the dangerous weapon.
-Storing and/or transporting the dangerous weapon in a non-registered location and/or vehicle is grounds to have the Dangerous Weapons Permit revoked, the dangerous weapon to be confiscated and the permit holder to be fined.
-CA DOJ BOF is allowed to conduct inspection audits on Dangerous Weapons Permit holders to ensure they are operating in compliance of CA laws.

If I remember correctly, in regards to the last bullet, they are allowed to do it WITHOUT any warning where as the ATF gives 'fair' warning. Basically, they can show up at your house at 2am... every night... for the entire year to make sure that you are not violating the rules and regulations of the permit and you can NOT turn them away. It's part of the permit. I believe the words were along the lines of you must "make accessible at any time that is requested without notice".

Quiet
09-06-2010, 3:32 AM
If I remember correctly, in regards to the last bullet, they are allowed to do it WITHOUT any warning where as the ATF gives 'fair' warning. Basically, they can show up at your house at 2am... every night... for the entire year to make sure that you are not violating the rules and regulations of the permit and you can NOT turn them away. It's part of the permit. I believe the words were along the lines of you must "make accessible at any time that is requested without notice".

You are correct.
They usually do one announced visit and one or more surprise inspection audits.

I use to slave work for a prop master in the mid-90s.

Steve1968LS2
09-06-2010, 7:38 AM
So we could surmize the CA stance on SBRs by simply saying:

California Sucks ***.. lol

Seriously.. just one more reason why we will be ditching this state in a couple of years.

Thanks for the info. :)