PDA

View Full Version : Calif Assault rifle question

DonTremaine
09-05-2010, 7:41 AM
My son has a Thompson semi-auto that is registered. The other day I acquired a violin/guitar case. In order to fit the rifle into the case the butt stock and maybe the front grip will need to be removed. Would this be a problem where someone could misconstrue this to now be a rifle that was converted to a handgun?
Thanks,
Don

Oceanbob
09-05-2010, 7:50 AM
Several problems:
1. It's his weapon and he cannot transfer it to you. (if that matters)
2. He cannot shorten the weapon by removing the buttstock. That would make the weapon a SBR (short barreled rifle) and require Federal paperwork including a $200 tax stamp. (or a pistol....in anycase..too short for regulations in California)
3. He can't travel with an RAW (registered Assault Weapon) like normal weapons. Locked case is required including a copy of the Paperwork DOJ issued; and other restrictions that people will be reminding us of, I'am sure.
4. Removing the front grip most likely is not a big deal. One critical issue is overall length for a rifle.

DonTremaine
09-05-2010, 8:10 AM
Oceanbob,
The barrel is not too short. The barrel is about 20 inches and the overall length is 32" when the butt stock is removed. The case has a lock. I just realized that folding and colapsing stocks are ok. So maybe there is no issue.
Don

Oceanbob
09-05-2010, 8:12 AM
Don...in that case probably no issue..! Bob

DiscoBayJoe
09-05-2010, 8:30 AM
I remove the Barrell Assembly on my registered UZI to fit it in its transport case. Because its inoperable when disassembled there is no issue (nothing says your AW has to be completely assembled).

Since it is registered, as long as its atleast 26" long when stored in an operable state, i'd think you are OK. For an Unregistered gun, this would be 30".