PDA

View Full Version : What's it gonna take?

Soul TKR
09-05-2010, 1:51 AM
To get my first gun in CA?

I'm asking what are all the necassary certificates, classes, fees, I can expect to buy and own my first gun...

Gonna get a Ruger GP100 if that makes any difference...

If you use any abbreveations to explain your answer like "CFL" ( I don't know what that stands for but have heard it several times) please spell out the word and explain what it is :rofl2:

sorry, I'm sort of a noob to guns and california laws in general...

<------ from TX originally where I grew up using rifles and didn't need any certifications, registrations, blah blah blah :rofl2:

nick
09-05-2010, 2:27 AM
Since it's a handgun, you'll need to take the Handgun Safety Test at some gun store (it costs $25, it's 30 easy questions. Your local gun store will likely have the guide for the test for 50c). Once you pass it, you'll get the Handgun Safety Certificate good for 5 years (you'll need it to buy handguns).

So, with that out of the way, you'll need this HSC (handgun safety certificate), your CA driver's license or ID, and some proof of residency with your address on it (a car registration, utility bill (not a cell phone bill), things like that). You'll need to show these to the dealer when you're buying your handgun.

Note that unlike in TX or another free state, if you're buying a handgun from a private party, it still has to go through an FLL (dealer).

Once you buy your gun and have your paperwork done, you'll then have the 10 days wait to pick up your gun. After that it's finally all yours.

Soul TKR
09-05-2010, 4:11 AM
LOL man... sounds like a major pain in the ***... Gotta love this state!

So all I need to expect besides the cost of the gun is the $25 for the certificate? Sounds too easy and cheap... there's got to be more... what's the catch? LOL

Quiet
09-05-2010, 4:17 AM
Also factor in sales tax for the firearm and the transfer fee.

OneSevenDeuce
09-05-2010, 8:09 AM

So all I need to expect besides the cost of the gun is the $25 for the certificate? Sounds too easy and cheap... there's got to be more... what's the catch? LOL

The catch isn't the money it costs (although charging someone a FEE to take a TEST to exercise your constitutional rights in wrong in my mind. Can you say "literacy tests" before voting?). The catch is the tactic this state has used for years to try and enact a defacto ban on guns. They don't want to seem like they are against the constitution, but they do NOT want you to have guns, so they make it aggravating for the average buyer. They make you take a test, they pass confusing and contradictory laws, they restrict ammo, all in an attempt to make the average person say "You know what? It's just too much of a hassle. Forget it."

vta
09-05-2010, 9:14 AM
handgun safety certificate is the only requirement you need that is different from a rifle. Aside from the age limit which is 21 for handgun and 18 for long gun.

nick
09-05-2010, 9:37 AM

Cost of the gun + sales tax + $25 HSC + $25 DROS fee (for the background check) + $5-10 for the lock (unless you bought one within 30 days and have a receipt). That's if you're buying it from the dealer.

For private party transfer, the costs are: cost of the gun + $25 HSC +$35 PPT (private party transfer fee, it includes the DROS fee) + $5-10 lock (unless you bought one within 30 days and have a receipt).

The catch? You pay for a useless card, you get a useless lock (don't use it for your bicycle, the stupid lock is very easy to break), you pay $25 DROS fee for something that costs much less, the background check is instantaneous, but you still have to wait for 10 days, and CA DOJ that does it can deny your DROS either by mistake, or for non-prohibited offenses (I've even heard of them enforcing traffic tickets through DROS), which means you'll have to call them and force them to obey the law. And the whole thing is akin to a poll tax and has little to no common sense or crime fighting value, it's there to annoy you and to dissuade more people from buying guns, especially those buying their first gun; and it's patently unconstitutional. Other than that, there's no catch :)

nick
09-05-2010, 9:38 AM
handgun safety certificate is the only requirement you need that is different from a rifle. Aside from the age limit which is 21 for handgun and 18 for long gun.

And the proof of residency. For a long gun you just need your CA DL/ID.

0Wraith
09-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Also, how do we go about getting a concealed carry permit?

NiteQwill
09-05-2010, 10:27 AM
What county do you live in? Most counties will issue easily.

OneSevenDeuce
09-05-2010, 10:28 AM
What county do you live in? Most counties will issue easily.

With the conspicuous exception of most of the most densely populated counties.

0Wraith
09-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Orange County.

OneSevenDeuce
09-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Orange County.

Oi, good luck with that.

0Wraith
09-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Hahhahha, dammit!

OneSevenDeuce
09-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not saying don't try. There is no harm in that, but Sheriff's from San Diego to LA and most places in between only issue to their friends, politicians, or rich donors.

Greg-Dawg
09-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Take a class first before you buy the gun.

OneSevenDeuce
09-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Take a class first before you buy the gun.

A class for what? Home auto repair?