PDA

View Full Version : My XDm 45 Trigger SUCKS!!! What to do? Anyone have same issues?

jlh95811
09-05-2010, 2:01 AM
Ok so I recently bought an XDm 45 and took it to the range. I found the mushy-ness of the trigger and the overtravel to be absolutely terrible. No clean break whatsoever.
I own an XD 45 Tactical and the trigger is FAR superior. Sure it has tons of travel but at least the break is crisp.
I also owned an XDm 40 recently that I sold. IIRC the trigger on it was a bit better than the XDm 45 is but still not as crisp as my XD 45 Tac.
Some folks on XDtalk forum said it gets a little better after it gets broke in but still not good enough. Nearly all of them have had trigger work of some sort to fix it.
Is anyone else here having similar issues?
What did you do to fix?
There are a few companies out there offering parts and/or service for the XDm but I have no idea which to choose or if I even should.
I mean; When you pay that much for a pistol you expect it to be worth it. You expect it to be an upgrade over the previous model. This is not.
I'd like to be able to say it is more accurate or something nice but I can't because the trigger won't allow me to check properly. If I am going to compare it to any of the other XD's I've owned I need the trigger to be at least as good as them. That's not asking much. Stock XD triggers were never a target shooters dream but they sure do work.
I have owned or do currently own:
XD9sc
XD9srvc
XD9tac
XD40sc
XD40tac
XD45srvc
XD45tac
XDm40
Every single one of these triggers, with the exception of the XDm 40 which I had little experience with, has been MUCH better than this XDm 45.
I went to the gun shop and tried another XDm 45 trigger just to be sure mine was not a bad apple. It was identical.

Blackhawk556
09-05-2010, 2:15 AM
if you ever get a bi-tone XDm9mm and don't like it, send me a PM :)

immaculate
09-05-2010, 3:43 AM
might be just yours =[ i've got an XDm9 with very low round count...the trigger is decent (and I mention the roundcount to point out that mine definitely isn't broken in), although still has a bit of the mushy-ness that you mention. I thought about sending it to Springer Precision for trigger work, but never got around to it. I'd say find another XDm45 to test against, but I'm guessing that might not be all that easy in CA.

aaron

jlh95811
09-05-2010, 4:13 AM
might be just yours =[ i've got an XDm9 with very low round count...the trigger is decent (and I mention the roundcount to point out that mine definitely isn't broken in), although still has a bit of the mushy-ness that you mention. I thought about sending it to Springer Precision for trigger work, but never got around to it. I'd say find another XDm45 to test against, but I'm guessing that might not be all that easy in CA.

aaron

Please read the last part of my first post.

immaculate
09-05-2010, 3:11 PM
Please read the last part of my first post.

oops. scratch that then.

edit to add: have you tried the XD forums yet?

Greg-Dawg
09-05-2010, 3:26 PM
Get a Glock!!!

zfields
09-05-2010, 3:46 PM
Get a Glock!!!

Litterly every post Ive seen of yours is something similar.

Sorry bud, we dont all drink the f***ing koolaid.

As for the trigger, Ive been reading a lot of the newer .45s are pretty bad on the trigger. I havent tried the XDm, but own a xd .45.

Maybe time for a trigger job?

jlh95811
09-05-2010, 4:59 PM
Get a Glock!!!

I would if they didn't suck so bad. :43:
Seriously though...
Glock needs to extend their beavertail or make it a bit taller. I can feel the slide pulling the hairs on my hand as it slides back and forth. Too close for comfort. I shot my buddy's G19 before I ever shot anything else. It was very nice. I did not know about slide bite or much at all about guns at that point.
I got pinched working the action of a G22 at a gun shop.
Really sucks too cause it's the only reason I don't own a Glock and I've wanted a G20 forever.

Greg-Dawg
09-05-2010, 5:05 PM
I would if they didn't suck so bad. :43:
Seriously though...
Glock needs to extend their beavertail or make it a bit taller. I can feel the slide pulling the hairs on my hand as it slides back and forth. Too close for comfort. I shot my buddy's G19 before I ever shot anything else. It was very nice. I did not know about slide bite or much at all about guns at that point.
I got pinched working the action of a G22 at a gun shop.
Really sucks too cause it's the only reason I don't own a Glock and I've wanted a G20 forever.

Well it looks like you know your XDs pretty well for owning so many. I'd get rid of that .45 if you can't find a solution for the trigger play.

As for Glocks, check this out: http://www.robarguns.com/glock.htm
Go get your 10mm!!!
http://www.robarguns.com/images/GlockCompact.jpg

jlh95811
09-05-2010, 5:28 PM
I've seen a bunch of companies that do work on the glock such as this. Problem is I shouldn't have to spend more money to make a gun shootable. But then again that is going back to this XDm 45 as well.
Maybe I should just stick to 1911's. Best triggers ever! Just don't like the capacity issue.
If I ever found a great deal on a G20, say $450 OTD, then I'd be willing to spend the extra dough on the grip mods.

zfields
09-05-2010, 5:59 PM
Maybe contact springfield. They have been known to rework triggers for unhappy people.

shortround1
09-05-2010, 6:02 PM
Isn't the Xdm off roster? Maybe you can PPT it for a pretty penny.

vta
09-05-2010, 6:10 PM
I've seen a bunch of companies that do work on the glock such as this. Problem is I shouldn't have to spend more money to make a gun shootable. But then again that is going back to this XDm 45 as well.
Maybe I should just stick to 1911's. Best triggers ever! Just don't like the capacity issue.
If I ever found a great deal on a G20, say $450 OTD, then I'd be willing to spend the extra dough on the grip mods.

i had my g20 for sale recently for 450. but i have changed my mind about selling it. i had lots of interest but no one committed to buying it. i think if you keep an eye out you will find one at that price.

i hate to say it but i am a little glad that the unobtainable XDM45 (at least for me) is not as good as my XD45 Tactical.

PLINK
09-05-2010, 6:30 PM
You can send it to the Springfield Custom shop for a trigger job.

I have an XD9 Tactical that they did the competition package on and the trigger is amazing. It has a crisp 2 lb pull with very little pre travel, no over travel and a short reset.

In addition to the trigger it has a fitted Barsto match barrel, a melted Barsto rear sight, Dawson FO front sight and it was hard chromed.

sirgiles
09-05-2010, 7:08 PM
im surprised that you did'nt have issues with your trigger on the stock xdm 40 you used to have. all the xdms and xd have the same gritty trigger.
ive sent all my xdms' to springer precision.
http://www.springerprecision.com/

kmca
09-05-2010, 7:13 PM
I'd send it to Springer if you want. At least get his trigger kit and do it yourself.

theneko
09-05-2010, 7:50 PM
I have a XDM 3.8 (9mm) and it doesn't seem to be as bad as you describe. But if you don't like it then maybe a trigger job will sort it out.

MarCay08
09-05-2010, 8:02 PM
you can always sell it to me at a discounted price bro...:):):)

DaveFJ80
09-05-2010, 8:59 PM
PRP trigger. We put one in a friend's XDM after he put 600 rounds through it already, which after putting that may rounds through it did help the gritty stock trigger feeling a little bit. But you could really feel the difference in trigger pull and how smooth it was after the PRP kit went in.

jlh95811
09-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Ok so I've decided to sell it and just buy another 1911. I know I will be more happy with my absolute favorite style of handgun.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=339525

jlh95811
09-06-2010, 12:44 AM
im surprised that you did'nt have issues with your trigger on the stock xdm 40 you used to have. all the xdms and xd have the same gritty trigger.
ive sent all my xdms' to springer precision.
http://www.springerprecision.com/

I don't remember it too well. I only fired about 100 rounds through it myself. I sold that one cause I just don't like 40s&w. I've tried a couple and never liked the added recoil.
It's quite possible that the trigger was identical to this XDm45 and I just notice the issue because I shoot a TON of 45 autos.
It may well be that the trigger is the same as my XD45 Tac as well. I've broken it in and love the trigger on it now though I still would not use it for competition.

gschoelles
09-06-2010, 7:29 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6803825/IMG00005-20100809-0733.jpg

Thought of an offer - Something different