PDA

View Full Version : new gun limit, 30 days starts from DROS or pick up ?

bellwilliam
09-04-2010, 5:22 PM
Question:

if I buy a handgun on say 8/1/10, picks it up on 8/11/10. when can I start the DROS on new gun ? is it 9/1/10, or is it 9/10/10 (30 days from 8/11) ?

a FFL told me it is the later. if that's the case, in theory, you can only buy 9 new guns per year. just wondering.

thanks.

REDHORSE
09-04-2010, 5:23 PM
The Date that the DROS was processed, not p/u date.

halifax
09-04-2010, 5:25 PM
720 hours from DROS submittal, so 8/31/10

krby
09-04-2010, 5:59 PM
Question:

if I buy a handgun on say 8/1/10, picks it up on 8/11/10. when can I start the DROS on new gun ? is it 9/1/10, or is it 9/10/10 (30 days from 8/11) ?

a FFL told me it is the later. if that's the case, in theory, you can only buy 9 new guns per year. just wondering.

thanks.

It's 720hrs between DROS submissions for a single person. However you could buy (pay for) as many handguns you want in advance and have your FFL hold them, submit a DROS for one gun every 720 hours, and release them. Here's a made up example:

Go to an FFL, pay for 3 handguns on day 1. Your FFL submits the DROS for Gun #1 on day 1, you pick it up on or after day 10. After day 30, your FFL submits DROS for Gun #2, you pick it up on or after day 40, After day 60, your FFL submits a DROS for Gun #3, you pick it up on or after day 70.

This all assumes your FFL is willing to do this.

bellwilliam
09-04-2010, 7:44 PM
Thx all

voiceoftheright
09-04-2010, 9:25 PM
My FFL told me the same thing as the OP so I waited. Kinda pissed now. He also told me initially the 30 days was for long guns too. I need a new FFL I guess.

bellwilliam
09-04-2010, 10:13 PM
My FFL told me the same thing as the OP so I waited. Kinda pissed now. He also told me initially the 30 days was for long guns too. I need a new FFL I guess.

new question then: how does this apply on long gun ?

cmth
09-04-2010, 10:22 PM
new question then: how does this apply on long gun ?

It doesn't. 1-in-30 only applies to handguns via FFL transfer. Does not apply to any long guns or handguns via PPT.

jtmkinsd
09-04-2010, 11:45 PM

You're right brother...find a new FFL cuz that guy don't know what direction is up...lol you can buy a long gun every day of the week and twice on Sundays...lol

voiceoftheright
09-05-2010, 1:53 AM
You're right brother...find a new FFL cuz that guy don't know what direction is up...lol you can buy a long gun every day of the week and twice on Sundays...lol

I don't want to take it too far off topic but what can they charge for transfer w/dros? I have all my stuff shipped to him cuz he is right down the road and VERY convienent, but I am sure I am paying a price for it. Small shop, very cool guy but don't like getting taken for a ride for a little paperwork on his end.

morfeeis
09-05-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't want to take it too far off topic but what can they charge for transfer w/dros? I have all my stuff shipped to him cuz he is right down the road and VERY convienent, but I am sure I am paying a price for it. Small shop, very cool guy but don't like getting taken for a ride for a little paperwork on his end.
my cost OTD is $50 for handguns and $45 for long guns, but most folks are paying $75-$150 OTD.

gorenut
09-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Yup, the 30 days start with the DROS. If you're in Orange County, check out Straightline Tactical in Anaheim. No BS, very respectful business. $50 flat for FLL. Quick service and Don will open the store on the days they're closed so that you can get the gun on the day your 10 day is done.

Andy Taylor
09-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Whatever they want. $25 Dros + whatever store fees they choose to tack on.
If you and a seller go in to the store and do a FTF PPT, then they can only charge $25 DROS + $10 store fees for a total of $35 per handgun and $25 DROS + & $10 each for long guns.

INJUNTOM
09-05-2010, 1:47 PM
Go to an FFL, pay for 3 handguns on day 1

Better to wait. I learned this law when trying to buy 2 EAA Windicators at the same time. During the 30 day wait I decided to get a G27 instead of the 2nd Windicator :D

kennytt
09-05-2010, 4:26 PM
How many days can you pick up a handgun after the DROS is processed? In other word, how long can they hold the gun for you to pick up? Is there any limit? Can I pick it up like 2 months later? The reason is that the gun is on sale right now and I will be out of state for 2 months and I want to buy it now...

craneman
09-05-2010, 4:35 PM
How many days can you pick up a handgun after the DROS is processed? In other word, how long can they hold the gun for you to pick up? Is there any limit? Can I pick it up like 2 months later? The reason is that the gun is on sale right now and I will be out of state for 2 months and I want to buy it now...

30 days. After that you have to start the DROS all over again, if you have not taken possession.

klmmicro
09-05-2010, 4:51 PM
Is it not true that the "1 every 720 hours" only applicable to handguns? I thought rifles and shotguns were not included in the restriction...and yes, I realize that this is the CA Handgun forum. You could buy a pistol and then a couple of rifles while waiting ;)

Ike Arumba
09-05-2010, 7:10 PM
How many days can you pick up a handgun after the DROS is processed? In other word, how long can they hold the gun for you to pick up? Is there any limit? Can I pick it up like 2 months later? ...
The FFL I have used says that after the 10 days are up, pickup any time within the next 30 days is just fine with him. I recall seeing a report around here that another FFL would start charging daily storage fees on the 11th day. Check with the FFL you plan to use.

Cokebottle
09-05-2010, 8:07 PM
Is it not true that the "1 every 720 hours" only applicable to handguns? I thought rifles and shotguns were not included in the restriction...and yes, I realize that this is the CA Handgun forum. You could buy a pistol and then a couple of rifles while waiting ;)
Handguns only, and only handguns from dealer stock.
"Dealer stock" includes handguns that have been transferred in to the store.
It does not apply to consignments or PPT. Same as the roster restrictions.

IF you have an 03FFL and a DOJ COE, you are exempt from the 1-every-30 for all handguns, not merely C&R. You are also exempt from the 10 day wait for all C&R handguns and long guns.