PDA

View Full Version : M-14 Build Recommendations/Ideas

GunDog
09-04-2010, 5:18 PM
I broke down and ordered an M14 parts kit from CMP last week. (Maybe you read about the kits; everything to put together an M-14 minus the receiver, bbl, and bolt.) Also, just yesterday received a very nice walnut M14 stock from CMP. From what I hear, the quality of the parts in the kit are pretty decent.

Of course, now I need to decide what receiver to buy. Kind of leaning towards a forged LRB but, don't know if I can justify the cost. Looks like Fulton Armory is running a pretty good deal on their cast receivers. Any others worth considering. Don't feel that I need a rear lugged receiver. I'd be happy with a straight, mil-spec, standard type receiver that would be a good shooter with the right barrel.

I already own an M1A and am quite happy with it. Just couldn't resist the temptation of putting together an M14 type rifle.

Also, need to identify and locate an experienced M14 gunsmith to help with the project.

damon1272
09-04-2010, 6:06 PM
You would be good with a cast unit. I personally would like to have an 18" in a troy stock. I love my M1A but would like something a little handier for closer in shooting. What I would really liek to see is one with a carbon fiber barrel and a light weight stock but no one makes that set up that could be any where reasonable.

russ69
09-04-2010, 6:22 PM
I would like one that is mil spec and marked M14. Maybe a Smith if they are still good? Something that would match the parts kit as much as is possible.

Thanx, Russ

GunDog
09-04-2010, 6:22 PM
You got any experience/knowledge with the cast receivers from Fulton Arms?
They certainly would be alot more affordable than the LRB receivers and for more practical matters just as useful.

4 Brigada
09-04-2010, 6:35 PM
Also, need to identify and locate an experienced M14 gunsmith to help with the project.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Good Luck on that one

1911_Mitch
09-04-2010, 6:44 PM
As far as recievers, the LRB or Smith Enterprise will make the rifle substantially more valuable as an end result. Armscorp, Fulton, are other choices that would be lower on my list.

As far as M14 builders go, two of the best are:

Tim Strait = WarbirdsCustomGuns.com, in Texas
Ted Brown = TedBrownRifles.com, in Oregon

I've had each one build one from me, and they are both superb.

Simth Enterprise also builds up customs, but may be a bit more expensive.

H2O MAN
09-04-2010, 6:45 PM
Smith Enterprise (SEI) has built all of mine on forged Chinese (Norinco & Poly Tech) receivers, they are currently building my 5th M14.

If you can't find a Norinco or Poly Tech and can't wait for SEI's new receiver you should consider what LRB makes.

GunDog
09-04-2010, 7:14 PM
As for gunsmiths....I've looked at Ted Browns' site in Oregon. Pretty impressive. Also, have the option of TLC Gunworks in Clovis, CA which is not too far from where I live. Trying to get more information on Smith Enterprises' receivers, cost, etc.

4 Brigada
09-04-2010, 8:53 PM
Also, have the option of TLC Gunworks in Clovis, CA

GO NO FURTHER IN YOUR SEARCH. I had a .308 garand built by TLC. Sub MOA. They did everything, bedding and triggerwork. SUPERB.

I have a supermatch in pieces waiting a gunsmith to find the time and the inclination to put it together for the last 7 years. There is always something, Warbirds, if you want I'll send you the copies of the emails. Just 8 emails asking when to send the parts, just to get ignored. If it would have been Matt from Entreprise there would be a posse after his head.

UBFRAGD
09-04-2010, 11:14 PM
is one with a carbon fiber barrel

Wait, what? Airsoft again?

damon1272
09-05-2010, 5:26 AM
Wait, what? Airsoft again?

No I would like to see an updated lighter version of the M1A. Troy used to make a killer M1A but I am not sure they produce this version anymore.

H2O MAN
09-05-2010, 5:37 AM
No I would like to see an updated lighter version of the M1A.
Troy used to make a killer M1A but I am not sure they produce this version anymore.

Troy produced about 40 of their Rock SOPMOD M14 Commando Carbine before production ended.

Making the rifle too light can be problematic especially in full auto re: SCAR-17.

damon1272
09-05-2010, 6:16 AM
YEs I agree a rifle that is too light can be a problem. My problem right now is that my M1A with scope and attachments wieghs almost 15 lbs.

H2O MAN
09-05-2010, 6:50 AM
YEs I agree a rifle that is too light can be a problem.
My problem right now is that my M1A with scope and attachments wieghs almost 15 lbs.

Yep, the lightest of my modernized M14s was about 10 pounds with a micro T-1.
I used a SAGE stock with a CTR butt stock and I removed the side rails.

That said, I prefer a well balanced 15+ pound rifle over a light rifle that is nose or tail heavy.

damon1272
09-05-2010, 7:16 AM
That said, I prefer a well balanced 15+ pound rifle over a light rifle that is nose or tail heavy.

True, I do prefer a well balanced rifle myself. Just would like to see a lighter version. I am not crazy over the AR style .308. Too many different magazine options and too many problems.

GunDog
09-05-2010, 7:37 AM
The more I think about it, the more I want that LRB forged receiver. Yeah, it's gonna cost a few "C" notes more that anything else on the market, but it'll be worth it. Budgeting for this build should make the overall price tolerable. Already have the stock/parts kit and if I wait awhile and build up my cash flow should be able to purchase the LRB receiver in a couple months. Think if I take my time and work through this project I can have the M14 type rifle I've always wanted.

Screw it....I'm going for the gusto. Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

Grassninja
09-05-2010, 9:24 AM
You should call LRB now and get on their waitlist for a receiver. More than likely, there's a long queue for receivers, particularly if you want the M25. You don't get charged for it until it's ready to ship, and there's no obligation keeping you on the list (there's more customers in wait than receivers at all times). My LRB is definitely one of the finest M14 rifles I've ever shot or handled, you won't be disappointed by the quality of their receiver.

As for smiths/builders, I'll give another +1 to Ted Brown in Oregon.