View Full Version : SKS, M91, Or M24?

09-04-2010, 4:24 PM
Which one should i get to be most reliable ans fun? Never shot any of them before.

09-04-2010, 4:28 PM
i doubt you could get an m24, but a rem 700 is always a lot of fun.

09-04-2010, 4:32 PM
i doubt you could get an m24, but a rem 700 is always a lot of fun.

I was talking about a Mauser m24.

09-04-2010, 4:35 PM
oh, like a m24/47? those are cool too. :D

09-04-2010, 4:36 PM
Yep! Its a dilemma i have. Bolt action or semi? 10 rounds or 5? Or maybe there will be something new when i go to look.

09-04-2010, 7:55 PM
semi and 10 rds...better all around gun. hunting, plinking, shtf, whatever. if you only want to put in 5 rds you can choose. want to put 10 in a 5rd mag? too badd. i get to pickup my yugo sks in T-minus 2.5 days! :)

09-04-2010, 7:57 PM
SKS..Cheap rounds and a ton of add ons you can put on if needed.

09-04-2010, 8:00 PM

09-04-2010, 8:20 PM
There's a huge difference in recoil between 7.62X39 and a 8mm or 7.62X54R. The bolt actions you mentioned are chambered for much more powerful cartridges. They're a lot of fun to shoot but your shoulder will notice the difference. Also, the cheap ammo for the bolt guns is generally corrosive so you will have to carefully clean your rifle after each time you use it. The SKS ammo is generally, but not always, non-corrosive and very cheap.

It's hard to go wrong with an SKS as a fun, cheap to shoot, center fire rifle.

09-04-2010, 8:36 PM
Go for a bolt action and work your way up from there. If ya get a mosin and can master the stiff bolt, trigger, and crude sights everything after that will be a piece of cake. That's my two cents

09-04-2010, 8:38 PM
Depends what you want it for. Guns are like tools, sure you can take a phillips screw out with a flat screw driver, but it's was easier to use a phillips screwdriver. Guns work the same way. Get the right tool for the job, don't get the one tool then try to fit every job.

If you want to hunt, then grab the bolt action. It's cheaper, easy to operate and clean, and the ammo is about the same price as the SKS (at least for my Mosin, no idea about the Mouser).

If you want it for shooting targets, then what kind of targets to plan on shooting and at what range? If it's less then 200 yards, get the SKS. If you enjoy shooting 400 yard targets and further, Grab one of the Bolt actions.

I have both a Yugo SKS and a Mosin Nagant 91/30. The SKS is an all around gun. I love shooting it, and the nice thing about it is if I'm lazy, I don't have to clean it immediately after shooting. The Mosin though is a real blast. If you like guns that can take abuse and dish it right back at you, then this is the gun for you. With the Mosin I probably have the most fun because it's jsut such a chill gun and pretty darn accurate too (Not to say the SKS is a slouch either!), but the Mosin is what I would call a "beer and pretzels gun" (Don't drink and shoot!), which means you can take it to the range and shoot paper targets and shoot the bull with your friends, whereas the SKS strikes me more of a "business" gun. However the only thing I have bad to say about the Mosin is you must clean it after shooting. Corrosive ammo will ruin your day if you keep it on the metal for too long, but don't let this turn you off from the Mosin. Ammo can be had for about $.25 a round and cleaning is simple. Just spray Windex or run hot water down the barrel and bolt, then clean the gun like you would normally. Really it only adds maybe 15 minutes tops to the cleaning process?

Personally I use Windex just because it's more of a hassle for me to boil some water, but in a quick pinch, any water will do, even from the hose. All the corrosive material is, is just salt. Just be sure to wipe it away while its still wet because if you let the water sit there it will evaporate and leave the salt behind and defeat the whole purpose of runnign water down there in the first place.

09-04-2010, 9:35 PM
Went with the sks, came with a ton of stuff to! Not that ill be using the satchels but they are cool. But I held all three, cycled the actions, and just examined them. SKS was OG $499, but the guy there was cool and sold it for 399, sale price, even though there wasnt a sale going on! Get it on the 15th!!! :73:

09-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Congrats! A fine choice indeed, I'm sure it will serve you well.

Now just stock up on ammo, get some stripper clips from ebay, and practice with it, but most of all, go have fun with it. :)

09-04-2010, 10:54 PM
congrats, if you got it at big5 and it sounds like you did post up some pictures when you get it, picked up my 59/66A1 Yugo yesterday it appears to be unissued all metal parts are prefcet and show no wear inside and out and the bore is mirror perfect as well. i got done spending yesterday and part of today cleaning it out really good and its now ready to hit the range tomorrow along with my mosin

one important note on the SKS make sure you clean the bolt very good or you can get slamfires (unintentional full auto or double/triple shots) google it i cleaned mine out by soaking in mineral spirits to dissolve the cosmo and also boiled it to be sure the firing pin will not stick in the bolt. some guys recommend fully dismantling the bolt and using pipe cleaners in the channel as well.
here is a photo i took of mine today

09-04-2010, 11:05 PM
SKS and never look back.

The SKS is by far the best firearm I've ever owned.