PDA

View Full Version : Importing high cap mags that are notched

Henry47
05-13-2006, 2:35 AM
I've been looking for some uzi 10 rd mags for my 9mm fixed mag rifle, and have come along a seller that is willing to sell me high capacity mags (32 rounds). He said that he will notch the magazine PERMANENTLY to make them 10 round legal. Is this okay to import even though it started as a 10+ rd magazine?

Henry

Mssr. Eleganté
05-13-2006, 2:57 AM
Here's what the law says...

12276.1(c) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
(1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

I don't know what kind of definition CalDOJ uses for "permanently", but I've seen mags sold in California with a block of wood inside, or a bolt screwed in the side, or metal tabs welded to the underside of the follower to block the mags to 10 rounds.

saki302
05-13-2006, 5:33 AM
IMO, if 11 rounds don't fit, you must acquit :D

A 10 round mag is a 10 round mag. With a chopstick stuffed in the mag, if an agent removes it and it becomes a high cap, he committed the offense, did he not?
more worry-stuff for those who did not blow a few months' salary back in 1999 to not have to ever worry about the std-cap mag problem :D

-Dave

EBWhite
05-13-2006, 12:15 PM
You can also have the seller take the mag apart and send it in disassembled parts. Then you maybe modify the body to only accept 10rds then your good to go!

artherd
05-13-2006, 12:51 PM
If by 'notched' you mean 'indented so as to alter magazine capacity" then yes, that's a 10-round magazine.

"high cap status" does not linger once the mag is modified.