PDA

View Full Version : Noob info - Building a .308 AR.

jaytee
09-04-2010, 3:34 PM
Ok so basically I've found out about DPMS and Armalite platforms but what I need to know is are 308 subject to exactly the same restrictions as the AR15 laws? ie does the lower have to off list etc?
And can anybody recommend a good place to get a stripped 308 lower? I already found them for 200 bucks that ships to CA but of course there'd be all the usual fees associated with that. Is there a place local to LA County by any chance?
And is there anything I should know for sure/any important facts? I'd really appreciate it if somebody could explain things in layman's terms to a complete 308 beginner. Many thanks!!

Rogu3
09-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Yes the lower has to be off list...another thing i've heard (and seen) is upper/lower combos that don't fit together right, apparently since they're not mil-spec and aren't all held to the exact same tolerances as AR-15s are.

RobT2K
09-04-2010, 3:57 PM
There was a group buy for JD Machine upper/lower combo. They are in San Diego. The transfer fees for me adds up to about $60, so if I found a good lower for $200, I would still consider that a good deal.

jaytee
09-04-2010, 4:06 PM
There was a group buy for JD Machine upper/lower combo. They are in San Diego. The transfer fees for me adds up to about $60, so if I found a good lower for $200, I would still consider that a good deal.

Yeah I saw that but I decided it would be easier for me just to pick up a complete upper and build the lower. Thanks for the heads up though!

thrillhouse700
09-04-2010, 4:20 PM
yes good thread I have been looking for this info also.

RobT2K
09-04-2010, 5:09 PM
I got a lower from JD, and a complete upper from Fulton armory. The kreiger barrel is very nice.

joemama
09-04-2010, 5:27 PM
Yes the lower has to be off list...another thing i've heard (and seen) is upper/lower combos that don't fit together right, apparently since they're not mil-spec and aren't all held to the exact same tolerances as AR-15s are.

There are a few different types. DPMS .308, LWRC .308, Armalite AR-10 to name a few. Just make sure they are off list and they have to be configured the same as any other semi-auto detachable mag rifle. IE: bullet button for features or Monsterman for featureless.

I built an AR-10 and its my favorite rifle in my collection.

Rogu3
09-04-2010, 5:30 PM
Is that it in your avatar?

jaytee
09-04-2010, 6:06 PM
I got a lower from JD, and a complete upper from Fulton armory. The kreiger barrel is very nice.

Ah that's good to know. I was on the Fulton website earlier, they said they will not sell to California. Did you buys yours direct from Fulton or another (CA) source. Unless of course I'm mistaken and they will sell direct to Cali?

jaytee
09-04-2010, 6:07 PM
Just to add - where's the cheapest, most local (to LA) place to get a stripped lower?

joemama
09-04-2010, 6:23 PM
Thats actually the first ar-15 i put together in my avatar. Heres a pic of my ar-10, its a noveske n6 lower with an armalite 20" upper, ar-10 magpul PRS stock, and I have a radlock on it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2697/4188669556_25ca12f7f9_z.jpg?zz=1

jaytee
09-04-2010, 6:45 PM
Thats actually the first ar-15 i put together in my avatar. Heres a pic of my ar-10, its a noveske n6 lower with an armalite 20" upper, ar-10 magpul PRS stock, and I have a radlock on it.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2697/4188669556_25ca12f7f9_z.jpg?zz=1

That is EXACTLY the type of thing I have in mind. Very nice indeed.

RobT2K
09-04-2010, 7:35 PM
Re:Fulton
They will sell everything except the serialized receivers.

mlaines
09-04-2010, 7:42 PM
PM sent

jaytee
09-04-2010, 7:51 PM
Re:Fulton
They will sell everything except the serialized receivers.

That's good to know as I would like just a complete upper.

RRichie09
09-04-2010, 7:56 PM
FYI MEGA is coming out with a AR-10 receiver set that is compatible with Armalite and DPMS patterned parts.

http://www.megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/MA-TEN/loader.html

I have their Ar-15 upper and lower and the finishes is top-notch. I have also heard nothing but good things about them.

I know you have a receiver already in mind, just throwing up an option to consider before throwing down the cash.

Best of luck with your build.

jaytee
09-04-2010, 8:00 PM
FYI MEGA is coming out with a AR-10 receiver set that is compatible with Armalite and DPMS patterned parts.

http://www.megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/MA-TEN/loader.html

I have their Ar-15 upper and lower and the finishes is top-notch. I have also heard nothing but good things about them.

I know you have a receiver already in mind, just throwing up an option to consider before throwing down the cash.

Best of luck with your build.

Appreciate the info for sure! My mind is open right now. I definitely just want to get the stripped lower for now, probably leaning towards a dpms application as I believe they have more options??

RRichie09
09-04-2010, 8:09 PM
Appreciate the info for sure! My mind is open right now. I definitely just want to get the stripped lower for now, probably leaning towards a dpms application as I believe they have more options??

I think that's the part Mega is address. According to the site the MA-TEN will be compatible with both DPMS and Armalite parts.

read here MA-TEN Compatibilty (http://www.megamachineshop.com/ma-ten-landing.php)

Josh3239
09-04-2010, 8:33 PM
All rifles follow the same law regardless of what it is. Whether is an AR, AK, FAL, AUG, etc style rifle it can never be on the ban list and it cannot be a semi automatic, centerfire rifle with detachable magazines and evil features. They all follow the same laws. There isn't just an AR15 or an AK law that is specific to those style rifles, it is one giant law that covers anything that just so happens to apply to it.

Make sure to read the second page as well:
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

thrillhouse700
09-04-2010, 8:50 PM
Since JD is in san diego who sells them in cali?

RRichie09
09-04-2010, 8:59 PM
Since JD is in san diego who sells them in cali?

I know rifle gear does and you can buy directly from JD machines.