PDA

View Full Version : I cant seem to like my glock

1moa@500
09-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I have recently traded into a glock 21. I have shot it a few times and I have come to the conclusion that I am not in love. I dislike the trigger break and after shooting it I developed a flinch. I shoot a ton of 1911s and have never had a flinching problem before. It also requires me to purchase a different barrel if I want to shoot my reloads due to the lead. I could never see myself shooting idpa or carrying this thing. Am I too picky? I have tried several different firearms and have always migrated back to the 1911. I would like to be well rounded in my pistol shooting but I cant seem to find the right one. I have tried revolvers, berretta's, smiths, walthers, and now glocks. Am I doomed to be a 1911 only shooter? It would not bother me but I would like not to be a one dimentional shooter

themailman
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
A wise man once said, "Find what you dont do well, and never do it again." If you cant shoot/like Glocks, go back to the 1911.

maddoggie13
09-04-2010, 11:23 AM
You don't have like it...to take it home and play with it. Just like few of my ex-gfs.

sevensix2x51
09-04-2010, 11:24 AM
i cant do glocks either... you still need to try the USP, because it is kind of a bastardized deutsche homage to the 1911, but theres nothing wrong with 1911s. i kind of waffle back and forth between the two. these days, im leaning back to the usp...

Black Majik
09-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Lighten up the trigger! If I was stuck with a stock Glock I wouldn't like it either. Oh, and change out the sights to something like Heinies.

My Glocks blow away my USPs when the trigger is lightened and sights are replaced (both Heinies).

freonr22
09-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Sig?

ghost
09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
do some work to it-polish the internals,3.5 connector,and stainless steel guide rod.it should shoot smoother after that.

BamBam-31
09-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Could be the gun simply doesn't fit you. A non-SF 21 has a very large grip, especially compared to a 1911. I'd say try a 9mm G17 or G34 before dismissing the Glock line-up entirely. The Glock trigger will never break like a 1911, but it can be improved substantially over stock pull (w/ various aftermarket drop-in kits), enough to where it is no longer a practical issue. Slap some grip tape on it, and it'll be an easy gun to shoot fast.

Or just stick to the 1911 platform. "Beware the man with one gun--chances are, he knows how to use it."

juelz919
09-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Glocks have an odd grip angle.. but they are like the honda civic of the pistol world. Not the greatest car but you can turn it into something decent for fairly cheap.. but you couuld also buy something better from the beginning.

Turo
09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Weird, the exact things you don't like about the Glocks is exactly why I like them :D.

Eljay
09-04-2010, 11:56 AM
It's fundamentally a personal decision. I like Glock's subcompacts but I think there are better choices with the larger models. The trigger's definitely not like a 1911 trigger, but it is consistent - pretty much every Glock that hasn't been heavily modified's going to have that trigger, and it's something you can learn to use. But if you're switching between Glocks and other guns I don't think you'll ever be 100% happy with that Glock trigger.

OneSevenDeuce
09-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Give it to me. :D

But seriously, it's just one of those things. I was a 1911 guy for a long time, still am, but I thought I was destined to be an average pistol shooter. Then I picked up a Glock. It just worked for me and I have been setting and reaching higher and higher goals. If 1911s just work for you then go with it. There are so many 1911s out there that you can find one to meet any need.

Legasat
09-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I have recently traded into a glock 21. I have shot it a few times and I have come to the conclusion that I am not in love. I dislike the trigger break and after shooting it I developed a flinch. I shoot a ton of 1911s and have never had a flinching problem before. It also requires me to purchase a different barrel if I want to shoot my reloads due to the lead. I could never see myself shooting idpa or carrying this thing. Am I too picky? I have tried several different firearms and have always migrated back to the 1911. I would like to be well rounded in my pistol shooting but I cant seem to find the right one. I have tried revolvers, berretta's, smiths, walthers, and now glocks. Am I doomed to be a 1911 only shooter? It would not bother me but I would like not to be a one dimentional shooter

I'm like you. Glocks and I just don't get along. I have shot several, and in different calibers. I don't have anything against them, they are just not the gun for me. Find what you like, and then shoot those.

I found that in that for polymers, the M&P's work out far better.....for me. 1911's and I get along just fine too. ;)

PistolS&W
09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
remember the old saying "fear the man with only one gun"... because if thats all he shoots hes probably really good with it. as apposed to guys with 10 different pistols that all shoot differently.

if your good with a 1911 then thats the gun for you. now it dosent hurt to be familiar with other guns but you dont have to like them.

persoanlly i HATE!! revolvers they are the least ergonomic guns ever made that feel like a curved stick in my hand... but i can still shoot them well... i have a friend. hes in his 50's so hes into 1911's and revolvers. i handed him my springfeild XD and he hardly even hit the paper at 7 yrds and hes been shooting for over 40 years. but hand him a revolver or 1911 and hes back in action.

and hes shoots with both eyes open! WTH!

Malthusian
09-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I own one...OK a couple
They are a functional ugly tool
If I drop it. no big deal
If I need a defense weapon, it fits the bill
If it is confiscated, who cares

None of these things apply to my 1911
It is a thing of beauty
I would be upset if I dropped it
It a SHTF scenario, it would be my go to weapon
I would never want to part with it

That is why I have a Glock.....OK a couple

FailedAngrMgmt
09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
have you tried a springfield xd? way better grip angle, makes a world of difference. i bought my glock for on duty carry, but it was quickly replaced by my usp. i dont think i will part with the glock tho, as someone stated above, its like the honda that runs forever.

Canute
09-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Give it to me. :D

But seriously, it's just one of those things. I was a 1911 guy for a long time, still am, but I thought I was destined to be an average pistol shooter. Then I picked up a Glock. It just worked for me and I have been setting and reaching higher and higher goals. If 1911s just work for you then go with it. There are so many 1911s out there that you can find one to meet any need.

Me too. I don't own one, but the times I've tried them they work well for me.

Strpd_Up_Brotha
09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Uh oh....you don't like glocks......Watch them berate you.....darn glock lovers..:rolleyes:

nthamix
09-04-2010, 1:41 PM
I hate glocks, but for some weird reason I can't stop buying them. I own 4 now and that is it... unless i see the glock 30 go on sell.

missiondude
09-04-2010, 2:06 PM
Glock makes a nice gun, but in the plastic pistols, its S&W M&P followed by XD, followed by Glock for me. The Glock did not fit my hand as well, and therefore I did not shoot it as well as the others. Find what fits you and works for you and be happy.

VictorFranko
09-04-2010, 2:09 PM
OP, it's OK not to like your Glock.
Confidentially, your Glock tells me it ain't so fond of you either.

BamBam-31
09-04-2010, 2:09 PM
Uh oh....you don't like glocks......Watch them berate you.....darn glock lovers..:rolleyes:

Wow, I'm an avid Glock fan. Don't think I berated the OP at all.

So, to you: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Oceanbob
09-04-2010, 2:42 PM

Install some proper sites; install the 3.5 trigger bar; put on some grip tape. She's good to go.

I love my Glocks. ! (also my 1911s). Try the Glock 23, smaller grip, powerful enough for most jobs.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-04-2010, 3:58 PM
I have Glocks, standard 1911s and Paras. I find myself going back and forth between them. Your hand might simply not be suited to the Glock grip shape and angle. Go find a range with rentals, try something you haven't fired before. When you find the pistol that suits your particular ergonomics, you know what to buy next. Put the G21 up for sale and go get it.

Brian2217
09-04-2010, 4:08 PM
Just like a few on here, I was a very strong 1911 shooter. It took me some time to get use to the Glocks. I had a few and sold them. Now, I own 3 and 1in the waiting stage. Can't really say what change me, but I love the damm things now. Either give it some time or find something that works for you. Lots of great stuff out there not to be a little picky.

CSDGuy
09-04-2010, 4:13 PM
I have a 23. It's not bad. Not bad at all. What did I do to it? Not much. 3.5# connector and the NY-1 spring. Trigger pull is still about 5.5-6# but the reset is VERY crisp. That is it... completely stock otherwise. I've held a standard 21 and a 21SF. That 3mm difference in the SF grip makes it feel MUCH better. I've heard that people REALLY like the M&P grip though. I'll have to try one sometime....

map
09-04-2010, 4:18 PM
have you tried a springfield xd? way better grip angle, makes a world of difference. i bought my glock for on duty carry, but it was quickly replaced by my usp. i dont think i will part with the glock tho, as someone stated above, its like the honda that runs forever.

+1 on this. I used to have a Glock 22 but got rid of it for an XD40 (4inch). I noticed that when target shooting with the Glock, there would be one bullet that would not hit the target. With the XD all my shots hit the target. I also get better groupings with the XD. Glocks are great guns. I just don't shoot them well. Good luck to you.

WTS: Stag AR15, Mossberg 500, Mossin Nagant, and S&W Model 27-9

xxINKxx
09-04-2010, 4:18 PM
but they are like the honda civic of the pistol world. Not the greatest car but you can turn it into something decent for fairly cheap...

Riced out glock?

But I agree on the OP. I love my glocks, but cant shoot them very well. I can shoot my 1911's perfect and accurate.

This is why I discourage people from listening to everyone always say "buy a glock" when they make a thread asking what gun to buy.

You gotta test it out first, not just shout out buy a glock in every thread.

Ultimate
09-04-2010, 4:22 PM
Glocks aren't for everyone. For one thing they quickly show weaknesses in your tecnique. The flinch probably has more to do with you always having it but the glock trigger makes it more easily visible because after pre staging the trigger instead of breaking on a minimum of force, the trigger bar flexes and allows a considerable amount of trigger movement before the trigger finally breaks.

In a way it makes you a better shooter because it isn't so polished. Like a flint lock.

fsx
09-04-2010, 4:34 PM
They require totally different muscle memory. I started with a glock 19, so my initial muscle memory is build around a glock. I know that a 1911 has a different trigger mechnism and feel, so I can see that if you switch from 1911 to a glock, there's trouble. If you don't like it, don't force it. No one said you need a glock right? Just shoot whatever you feel comfortable, if that means 1911 exclusivelly, so be it.

scoot64
09-04-2010, 4:40 PM
Check out an XD45 you might like it.

Booshanky
09-04-2010, 4:42 PM
I can't shoot glocks either. The grip angle is too weird for me.

Chief-7700
09-04-2010, 5:06 PM
Shot my first 1911 around the age of 6 or so.
Have fired a Glock did I like it NO
Would I buy a Glock NO
That's why I still shoot the 1911 platform.

windrunner
09-04-2010, 5:48 PM
OP, it's OK not to like your Glock.
Confidentially, your Glock tells me it ain't so fond of you either.

funny right there

JJ1911
09-04-2010, 6:18 PM
I had a glock 21. Didn't really like it. Picked up a Glock 19 and Glock 17, loved em. Try some other glocks, or try the SF model before you give up on Glock for good!

Greg-Dawg
09-04-2010, 6:41 PM
You cannot handle a Glock, the same way you handle a 1911. The biggest difference between the two is that one has a hammer and the other doesn't! Therefore, trigger control will be a factor that's why you're flinching.

It's just like treating a red head the same way as a blonde...it just doesn't happen, but blondes will do anything you ask for...same with Asian chicks. Or like driving a Corvette to an off roading Landcruiser; you'll have to adjust your driving skills to the car.

Anyways, sell your Glock and stick with your 1911 or keep practicing dry firing with the Glock. Lastly, it's fine to shoot lead out of your Glock as long as you clean ALL the lead out and make quality reloads.

xtalpimp
09-04-2010, 6:46 PM
I own one...OK a couple

It is a thing of beauty

What a beautiful haiku!

J-cat
09-04-2010, 7:12 PM

I don't like the Glock 21 either. Get a HK USP.

SickofSoCal
09-04-2010, 7:24 PM
No Glocks, they are blasphemes unto the Lord.

Grayblue
09-04-2010, 7:33 PM
Nothing wrong with not feeling good with a certain pistol.

But, why did you try to transition to a Glock in the first place?

Is there a particular reason why you try other pistols when find yourself keep going back to 1911?

bodger
09-04-2010, 8:20 PM
I had a Glock 30sf that I could never get completely satisfied with. It had a failure to return to battery issue right out of the box. Sent it back to Glock and got it back, it still did it.

I bought a Wolf guide spring and polished the trigger bar. That took care of the FTRB probs.

But then it started spitting brass in all directions, including a hot casing behind my shooting glasses which burned my eyelid real good.

Didn't matter which ammo I used, and I wasn't limp wristing, etc.
I finally bought an H&K .40 USP Compact and haven't looked back.

That Glock just wasn't the gun for me. But it's the only one I've ever owned, so who knows, I might like a different Glock.

ElvenSoul
09-04-2010, 8:27 PM
Not to worry they have high resale value...as you will find out when you try and buy it back!

mif_slim
09-04-2010, 8:47 PM
the glock gods look down on you an frawns!!

jk, I'm not a brand person but you can try the xd since it's designed is similar to the 1911. the grip is the same as 1911. other then that the m&p is also a good gun too.

vNaK
09-04-2010, 9:14 PM
Consider checking out CZ line of guns. They make great guns with good ergos. Just got one (CZ PCR) and I liked the ergos a lot more than my USPc.

Don't have a glock, but have shot a few and it didn't really wow me or anything. Though, it's a great gun to have around as I don't care if it gets beat up.

Twinsen
09-04-2010, 9:15 PM
If you only own one gun that doesn't fit you or that is a disappointment to you in your life, you did very well.

I've developed gun racism. I just can't find good plastic pistols. They always disappoint me or are just so functionally bad that I can't even shoot them. That grip angle of the Glock makes it impossible for me to fire them, and that high bore just doesn't make sense. When I see a plastic gun in a case, I walk to the other side of the road and avoid eye contact.

nn3453
09-04-2010, 9:19 PM
Go with what is comfortable for you.

That being said, a good shooter should be able to handle almost any handgun.

midvalleyshooter
09-04-2010, 9:23 PM
You can fix the trigger, call Charlie Vanek:
http://www.vanekcustom.com/

Keith

l8apex
09-04-2010, 9:34 PM
I'm an avid Glock proponent in 9mm, 45 I'd go with the MP45 or 1911. The flinching problem is the 1911 masking the current issue. If you feel the need to improve on the platform, work it out. If not, go back to 1911 and save you some ammo and grief.

bombadillo
09-04-2010, 9:40 PM
I don't honestly know why I can't shoot glocks, but I have tried over and over. I have a handful of friends with them for service weapons and I CAN'T shoot them accurately. I've tried 9mm, .40, .45acp, and .357sig and none of them are any better. I've tried different models, glock 34, 17, 26, and more and its just a weird angle or the sights or something. I always shoot glock low and right. Weird issues, but I stick with my XD which I shoot well, and 1911's. I also have a ruger P345 that I LOVE compared to glocks.

OneSevenDeuce
09-04-2010, 9:43 PM
I don't honestly know why I can't shoot glocks, but I have tried over and over. I have a handful of friends with them for service weapons and I CAN'T shoot them accurately. I've tried 9mm, .40, .45acp, and .357sig and none of them are any better. I've tried different models, glock 34, 17, 26, and more and its just a weird angle or the sights or something. I always shoot glock low and right. Weird issues, but I stick with my XD which I shoot well, and 1911's. I also have a ruger P345 that I LOVE compared to glocks.

Sounds like a case of your head overriding your abilities. That can just happen sometimes.

shortround1
09-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I'll take your g21 off your hands for you. I don't want to pay for it or anything but I'll take it if you feel the need to get rid of it. :43:

Swoop
09-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I am not a glock fan either, I've owned a couple and shot many more and I just don't like the way they feel, shoot or look not that looks matter that much. Sigs and 1911's are my cup of tea which are very different but Im a huge fan of both.

AlliedArmory
09-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Not a G21 guy myself. I love my 9MM Glocks though. I also love the 1911. Best 2 pistols I have ever shot.

09-05-2010, 12:56 AM
That grip angle of the Glock makes it impossible for me to fire them, and that high bore just doesn't make sense.

Surely, you jest.

nn3453
09-05-2010, 1:04 AM
Surely, you jest.

Yeah, I thought he was kidding as well.

bombadillo
09-05-2010, 8:36 AM
Sounds like a case of your head overriding your abilities. That can just happen sometimes.

No, I don't think its a mind over matter issue or anything like that. I truly just can't shoot glocks and I've put a LOT of rounds through trying. I figured I was just wasting my time after so many rounds that I gave up on the pistol.

qbi2001
09-05-2010, 8:47 AM
I dont like glocks either. I'm currently in a trade for my G35 to a sig 226. If you dont like it get something you do like.

OneSevenDeuce
09-05-2010, 8:53 AM
No, I don't think its a mind over matter issue or anything like that. I truly just can't shoot glocks and I've put a LOT of rounds through trying. I figured I was just wasting my time after so many rounds that I gave up on the pistol.

Hmmm, I guess they just aren't for you then. That's odd though because I really believe that most people can learn to shoot almost anything decently well with enough practice.

chuy
09-05-2010, 9:49 AM
Why does Glock continue to produce pistols with triggers most everyone agrees are unacceptable? Isn't this the whole purpose of evolution of design? If it doesn't work, shouldn't they fix it?

Fjold
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
The combination of the grip angle and the long trigger pull messes me up. It almost as if my trigger finger is trying to move across the face of the trigger while I'm shooting.

nn3453
09-05-2010, 11:57 AM

No such thing. With proper training, practice and experience, a shooter should be able to shoot most anything, from plastic guns to heavy steel guns to DA wheel guns, snubbies, single action wheel guns. It is up to you if you want to consider that as a challenge and try to master it or not. There is nothing wrong if you choose not to, but if it is bugging you, you should. It is not about "mind over matter," it is developing *correct* muscle memory.

Also, how long have you been shooting? I couldn't shoot Glocks when I first got into handguns, now it is just a tool. I actually prefer Glocks to 1911s, since they are fast guns and ergonomically suit me better (I tend to hold Glocks more consistently on every shot than 1911s). So try putting it down for a while, focus on general handgunning techniques and pick it up after a few thousand rounds and see if it helps when your fundamentals are better. Probably not a bad idea to get some training from an expert instructor.

mif_slim
09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
+1 above.
a good shooter should be able to shoot firearm put in their hands.

INJUNTOM
09-05-2010, 2:55 PM
I own one...OK a couple

It is a thing of beauty

I'm similar to this statement. I love revolvers, but see the shortcomings in a home invasion type scenario, so I have the Glocks due to being familiar with them before ever having one.

I differ in the fact that I do like my glocks and don't want to drop them though... :D

INJUNTOM
09-05-2010, 2:59 PM
Find what fits you and works for you and be happy.

This is true. Being that everyone is built different and have different hand sizes, etc, no one gun will be for everyone.

Myself personally, the Glock feels comfortable.

Why hasn't any gun companies offered the same gun with S/M/L grip sizes?

09-05-2010, 2:59 PM
Why does Glock continue to produce pistols with triggers most everyone agrees are unacceptable?

Most? No.

If it doesn't work, shouldn't they fix it?

But it does work ... and work ... and work ... and work ... ad infinitum.

INJUNTOM
09-05-2010, 3:09 PM
Most? No.

But it does work ... and work ... and work ... and work ... ad infinitum.

I have no problem with the trigger, but I'm not used to different pistol either.

Mostly been a revolver guy before I got a Glock..

bombadillo
09-05-2010, 6:29 PM
No such thing. With proper training, practice and experience, a shooter should be able to shoot most anything, from plastic guns to heavy steel guns to DA wheel guns, snubbies, single action wheel guns. It is up to you if you want to consider that as a challenge and try to master it or not. There is nothing wrong if you choose not to, but if it is bugging you, you should. It is not about "mind over matter," it is developing *correct* muscle memory.

Also, how long have you been shooting? I couldn't shoot Glocks when I first got into handguns, now it is just a tool. I actually prefer Glocks to 1911s, since they are fast guns and ergonomically suit me better (I tend to hold Glocks more consistently on every shot than 1911s). So try putting it down for a while, focus on general handgunning techniques and pick it up after a few thousand rounds and see if it helps when your fundamentals are better. Probably not a bad idea to get some training from an expert instructor.

I've been shooting handguns for about the last 15 years and have put down a LOT of rounds compared to a lot of people a lot older than I am. I have had some formal training and used lots of different techniques for pistol shooting. I may be underestimating myself here when I say that I CAN'T shoot a glock, its that I can't shoot a glock really well. I can punch face sized groups at 45' and thats about the best of my ability with a glock. I CAN in fact shoot a glock, but I don't know what it is about the angles and geometry of the gun but I will always shoot a bit low and to the right. This isn't with 2 or 3 glocks, this is with damn near every glock I have ever shot and its been at least 15+ different guns. I shoot polymer guns fine, I own a p345 and XD9SC for 2 of my HD guns, and revolvers I can shoot accurately out to 100+ yards depending on the gun. I have shot calibers ranging from 22 short, to a .460 smith and none of them have been consistently bad like the glock. Sooooooo, its not necessarily due to the lack of experience, or that I can't shoot it, its just that I have never been able to shoot it WELL or at least as good as other guns like the 1911, p345, m&p, super redhawk, MKIII, python........

you get the idea ;)

sevensix2x51
09-05-2010, 6:47 PM
I've been shooting handguns for about the last 15 years and have put down a LOT of rounds compared to a lot of people a lot older than I am. I have had some formal training and used lots of different techniques for pistol shooting. I may be underestimating myself here when I say that I CAN'T shoot a glock, its that I can't shoot a glock really well. I can punch face sized groups at 45' and thats about the best of my ability with a glock. I CAN in fact shoot a glock, but I don't know what it is about the angles and geometry of the gun but I will always shoot a bit low and to the right. This isn't with 2 or 3 glocks, this is with damn near every glock I have ever shot and its been at least 15+ different guns. I shoot polymer guns fine, I own a p345 and XD9SC for 2 of my HD guns, and revolvers I can shoot accurately out to 100+ yards depending on the gun. I have shot calibers ranging from 22 short, to a .460 smith and none of them have been consistently bad like the glock. Sooooooo, its not necessarily due to the lack of experience, or that I can't shoot it, its just that I have never been able to shoot it WELL or at least as good as other guns like the 1911, p345, m&p, super redhawk, MKIII, python........

you get the idea ;)

oh SNAP!

yeah, when folks say they cant shoot something, dont take it literally. i can stay in the black with a glock, i just dont like it. and my groups arent as tight. :shrug:

bombadillo
09-05-2010, 8:51 PM
oh SNAP!

yeah, when folks say they cant shoot something, dont take it literally. i can stay in the black with a glock, i just dont like it. and my groups arent as tight. :shrug:

Pretty much. :cool: