PDA

View Full Version : Can you shoot an AR-15 at Cleveland national forest?

Vbp6us
09-04-2010, 10:35 AM
I've been on the Cleveland national forest website and it says target shooting is allowed, with the following restrictions:

Important point to remember:

** Check with local sheriff or land management agencies before using an area for shooting. Do not shoot on private land without the owner’s permission.

** Find a safe backdrop to shoot into. Shots fired across open desert can travel up to two miles or more in distance.

** Shoot only retrievable, freestanding targets. It is illegal to shoot trees, bottles, or other objects. Take all used targets with you.

** Do not shoot within 150 yards of any man-made object, camp, domestic livestock, or occupied dwelling.

** Play safe and use caution. Shooting has a great risk for injuring people at great distances.

Do any San Diegans go out there to shoot? Is it a hassle? I want to shoot in the wilderness, so if CNF is not a good place, what is?

Thanks

Trapper
09-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Every place I've been to in CNF has been posted, discharge of firearms permitted only in the lawful pursuit of game. Open shooting is not allowed but lawful hunting is allowed.

Vbp6us
09-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Every place I've been to in CNF has been posted, discharge of firearms permitted only in the lawful pursuit of game. Open shooting is not allowed but lawful hunting is allowed.

Really? I think that's pretty lame. This automatically means I would need a hunting license, right? And how do they enforce this rule, drive up to each shooter and make sure they're not shooting at a man made target?

icefire
09-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Not everyplace on Forest Service land is like that, you would just have to find a place not posted, HOWEVER... most of the So. Cal forests are closed down to shooting this time of year due to Fire danger...and don't reopen it until rain...

todd2968
09-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I've heard that if South Bay is closed people follow the trail at the bottom of the hill and shoot in Cleveland Nat Forest the only people there are illegals and border patrol.

I'm not sure you need license when shooting coyotes or hunting water bottles

Vbp6us
09-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Not everyplace on Forest Service land is like that, you would just have to find a place not posted, HOWEVER... most of the So. Cal forests are closed down to shooting this time of year due to Fire danger...and don't reopen it until rain...
Do you go out there to shoot targets yourself? In fact, I'd like to try this with a group of people first, being completely new to the area.

Vbp6us
09-04-2010, 5:50 PM
Any other San Diegans want to chime in with any recent trips they've taken there? Or anyone for that matter.

Rule .308
09-04-2010, 6:20 PM
I've heard that if South Bay is closed people follow the trail at the bottom of the hill and shoot in Cleveland Nat Forest the only people there are illegals and border patrol.

I'm not sure you need license when shooting coyotes or hunting water bottles

Yes, you need a hunting license to hunt coyotes and water bottles are not a recognized species so you would not be hunting them and you would be just generally shooting which may be illegal in the area you are in.

I hunt regularly so I always have a valid license, it is not a bad idea to have one on you so if nothing else you could say that you are hunting rabbits or coyotes.

orangeglo
09-04-2010, 6:22 PM
Yes, you need a hunting license to hunt coyotes and water bottles are not a recognized species so you would not be hunting them and you would be just generally shooting which may be illegal in the area you are in.

I hunt regularly so I always have a valid license, it is not a bad idea to have one on you so if nothing else you could say that you are hunting rabbits or coyotes.

Have you hunted turkey in CNF?

Rule .308
09-04-2010, 6:34 PM
Actually, yes, I tried that once. The emphasis would have to be placed on HUNTING and not shooting. I have seen them all over the place down there on private property but finding them on public land must take an act of God or something.

orangeglo
09-04-2010, 6:38 PM
Actually, yes, I tried that once. The emphasis would have to be placed on HUNTING and not shooting. I have seen them all over the place down there on private property but finding them on public land must take an act of God or something.

Good to know. I have never really been a hunting guy, always been more a fishing guy. But I have always said if I was gonna hunt something it would be turkey. Then just recently I found out we had turkey here in CNF. And now I gotta go do this. Hmmmm turkey sandwiches.....

faterikcartman
09-04-2010, 7:11 PM
Some of you guys are going to get in trouble. I was talking to an environmentalist the other day and she said water was endangered in California. Googled it, and sure enough its true. Now some of you are suggesting someone new go hunting for an endangered species? That's just asking for trouble! :whistling: