PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 or M&P9L - Does the longslide make a real difference?

IceMan711
09-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I was wondering if the extra inch of slide on the M&P 9L would have a noticeable performance gain over the standard M&P. Is it all about sight radius, or will it actually help with managing recoil and enable faster follow shots? I'm trying to decide if the longslide will be worth the roster hassle.

Average Joe American
09-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I am no expert but I think some things may be universal...

longer sight radius will almost always be better not worse.

More mass will probably absorb some recoil and or muzzle flip.

A longer barrel will usually increase velocity which in turn results in a flatter trajectory compared to a shorter barreled handgun shot at the exact same distance with the exact same ammo. Plus faster bullets translate to more damage in the wound tract of the target.

I am no expert and I could be wrong? But it sounds fair enough to me.

Blackhawk556
09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I thought the m&p9L was not on roster?

BamBam-31
09-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Dunno specifically about the M&PL, but I can tell you about the G17 vs. the G34.

The longer slide gives you:

--A longer sight radius, which improves practical accuracy for most shooters.

--More weight in the nose, especially when adding a tungsten guide rod. (Adding said rod in a G17 doesn't make much of a noticeable difference.) More weight in the nose gives you better recoil absorption and is therefore quicker back on target.

Personally, however, the G34 felt clumsier to me than my G17. I had a lot of rounds through my G17, and it pointed better for me and recoiled more predictably (the G17 recoiled straight back and forth, the G34 recoiled in a figure eight motion). On the Brian Enos boards, there are others that prefer the G17 to the G34 because they felt the G17 was more agile out of the holster. That, and the fact that I'm a good enough shooter that the added sight radius on the G34 made no appreciable difference in accuracy led me to keep my G17 and sell my G34.

Just my two cents.

Legasat
09-04-2010, 12:25 PM
My M&P9 is a fine shooter, but I have to believe that the L model is even better!

OneSevenDeuce
09-04-2010, 12:33 PM
A longer barrel will usually increase velocity which in turn results in a flatter trajectory

This might be a bit off topic, but the mini 14 is one interesting exception to that. Not that longer mini barrels do not generate more pressure and thus faster velocities, but shorter barrels on the mini can sometimes be more accurate because the shorter ones generate less barrel whip, a notorious mini 14 problem.

missiondude
09-04-2010, 2:11 PM
I have a 9L, and my wife has a 9 FS. The shoot pretty similarly for me, but I do prefer the 9L, especially on longer shots. If you can get one, I would go with the 9L...