View Full Version : What it's really going to come down to...

05-12-2006, 6:01 PM
Someone will have to be a test case for this CA legal AR-15 issue to move forward (I didn't say solved)...

Who will it be? I hope someone with a lot of will, money, and influence (not me) :)

05-12-2006, 6:12 PM
Someone will have to be a test case for this CA legal AR-15 issue to move forward (I didn't say solved)...

Who will it be? I hope someone with a lot of will, money, and influence (not me) :)

I agree.

Who's going to be the sacrificial lamb?

Blacktail 8541
05-12-2006, 6:25 PM
The one problem with a test case and loseing is that the poor lamb literaly gets slaughterd. They will lose all of their rights to keep guns as well as many other rights, IE voteing.

05-12-2006, 6:33 PM
Here is my plan :)

We need to fix the CA lotto so i can win. Then i will become the test case funded by my winings. On the slim chance i lose i take the rest of my winnings and buy a small island. I will buy weapons from my friendly neighborhood arms dealer and live on my own island with a private range.

I will sell sporting packages to my island to those in the PRK, come and shoot whatever you want here at the cost of just your airfare.

Its a good plan with only a few million holes in it :)

05-12-2006, 7:05 PM
There will be a test case when the DOJ actually issues this memo to the Police. As far as I know, neither this nor the last one was actually distributed as actual policy change.

Still waiting to hear about that other guy who got his rifle confiscated...

05-12-2006, 7:05 PM
Dont you guys think this will end up like the SKS fiasco... try coming to your home to confiscate your weapon(s) after a registration?

05-12-2006, 7:12 PM
I dont want to sound ridiculous, and I have nothing but respect for our state LEAs, however, that wouldn't happen. If they make our ARs somehow completely illegal I'll ship mine to my father in Texas. At no point will anyone come to my door and take it from me. If they try, I will simply deny them access.

I would never arm myself v. LEOs ( I'm not even suggesting that ) but they can't just burst into our homes and take our weapons, theres this thing called the United States Constitution. CA may attempt to violate our gun rights and circumvent the 2nd, but they won't get around the 4th, and they won't get in my door. Let them try it, the Supreme Court will hear my case informa pauperis, and then they will be forced to consider the 2nd amendment issues which led to the 4th amendment violations, and I will rape (for lack of a better verb) the government of our wonderful state.

Or I'll end up in jail. But they're still not coming in my house. lol

05-12-2006, 7:42 PM
There used to be an old cop who posted on this board awhile back, he was telling us that they tried to come get AWs and it turned out to be egg on the states face.

Unless we get new admin in our Govt then we wont have any test cases, they will get you when you do something else to cause attention to yourself...i.e domestic violence call to your home, or shooting on what you thought was BLM land, etc.

4 wheelers get caught because the man stops them while trespassing or something else.

I dint see any test case and when our current AG leaves (dint let the door hit you) we will probably see some change in the way the DOJ intimidates.

05-12-2006, 8:00 PM
I have a feeling they'll play around with this memo some more, and then they'll eventually discover the folly of it. That redefining a "Detachable Mag" also means defining "Permenant", "Temporary", and "Restore to Capacity". All these new definitions during a comment period involving attorneys, courts, the NRA, and about 30,000+ angry Californian residents.

I think we're on the verge of victory.

05-12-2006, 10:13 PM
What I'm saying is that I don't think DOJ will take any action...then some one, some how, some day will get arrested / detained (however the circumstance happens) and the LEO may either 1) have read the memo and decide his fixed magazine was a no go 2) never heard of a CA legal .223 SLR and assume it was an AW. Either option would lead the LEO to investigate it further by contacting DOJ...DOJ will then state their stance on it (which is what the current memo says)...then the poor victim would state the LAW on what a detchable magazine is, but ultimately would be up to the D.A. to decide whether to prosecute...then end up in trial and that's where this thing is going to finally move forward.

05-12-2006, 10:35 PM
If they actually gave a rats butt about enforcing their gun laws, they would have done so already.

I shoot at least once a week, and in the past 3 months or so I can count at least 5 seperate instances where I talked to people at my range with detachable mag ARs that were recent offlisters. Either because they were ignorant of the law, or because they just didn't care. One guy told me last week "yea did you know you can buy these again in california now?". I asked him if he was aware of the fact that he needed to have a fixed mag and he said he hadn't heard anything about that. I didn't pursue that conversation any further.

I mean if this is going on at other ranges, and its been months, its a wonder to me why nobody has been arrested for it yet.

05-12-2006, 10:58 PM
When I go to the range, I get a private range so no one bothers me. Even though I keep a 10 round fixed mag, I don't want to take the chance when I don't have to.

Luckily, where I am now, there are no rules and I just went to the range and shot my M4 on auto :) the other day.

05-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Two issues about enforcement.

1. As long as you treat an off list like its a registered AW, its not going to be in any LEO's interest to go exploring. If you get pulled over for speeding and have a locked OLL AR in the trunk its highly unlikely that they'll have reason to even look.

2. The last time the DOJ attempted to seize a bunch of guns that they said were unregistered AWs, they got all sorts of egg on their face and had to return them.

Note that if the scuttlebutt in other threads is correct and the Milpitas lower struggle is almost over, that's a pretty frank admission that simple possession of stripped lowers is legal in CA.

05-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm glad I never jumped on the ar band wagon. Just buy SRBs... forget the entire fixed mag bullcrap.

I know for those of you with the fixed mag and 200 accessories on your firearm, its not so great.

Frankly, I don't like top loading firearms (sks / fixed mag ars)... thats just me. I feel that the FIXED MAGAZINE being referred to now as PERMANENT FIXTURES is COMPLETELY WRONG, someone oughta sue the DOJ for $$$.... I mean money talks....

Its the only way to get back at a government funded group. That way (like the police) they might be less willing to go completely forward without any care for consequences.

05-12-2006, 11:21 PM
I think the only thing that would change the DOJ minds if this got leaked to the media

05-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I think the only thing that would change the DOJ minds if this got leaked to the media

It already has been. Two or three times even.

There was ONE news story about it, remember? Nobody cares.

05-13-2006, 12:40 AM
That was local news.

If it became headlines on the television in LA and SF- action would be taken .

05-13-2006, 7:55 AM
I have a feeling that this is going to end up being like tint laws...or loud exhaust or lowered car laws. Sure...technically you aren't supposed to put a 10% tint on your car, lower it, and put on a loud exhaust...but how often do people get busted for it? Ehh...I've never been yanked for either. The only time you end up getting pinched for something like that is when you are doing something else stupid enough to attract attention.My $.02

Gotta love the logic at work here, comparing a fixit ticket to a felony. I have a friend who is a convicted felon. Smart, hard working guy that got caught with a little too much marijuana years ago. Can't vote, can't find a job that will pay him even half of what his skills are worth so he can't really support his family. Can't legally posess any kind of firearm.

Funny thing is he still has the tinted windows, loud exhaust and his Civic sits pretty low. Maybe he's not as smart as I thought.