PDA

View Full Version : 5.45 corrosive ammo and fake cans

13204u
09-03-2010, 9:49 PM
I have been thinking of either buying or building myself a sweet krinkov style rifle chambered in 5.45x39. Since we clearly can't get SBRs here it would require some sort of fake can or barrel extension to meet the minimum overall legal length. However when I started thinking about this and the fact that 5.45 is corrosive, how does this affect rifles with a fake can that cannot be removed? How does one clean said rifles? Is the life expectancy shorter due to the limited access to the muzzle and the accuracy drop due to corrosive salts the shooter can easily get to? I was thinking of doing an Rguns parts kit or maybe even this since it popped up on atlantic's website a few days ago: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct913.aspx. Any thoughts or opinions?

SJgunguy24
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
I would flush with hot soapy water if your really concerned.

EBR Works
09-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Mmm, hot soapy water + fake cans.....oh never mind ;)

fusionstar
09-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Fake cans don't extend past the muzzle so they don't get fouled. IF they did extend past the muzzle, im sure it will reduce the sound signature by at least 1db and turn it instantly into a Suppressor.

joelukehart
09-03-2010, 11:50 PM
K-var might still have a 16" Krink barrel.

C.W.M.V.
09-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Mmm, hot soapy water + fake cans.....oh never mind ;)

:rofl2:

Mssr. Eleganté
09-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't see how a barrel extension would limit your ability to clean the bore of your firearm in any way. :confused:

SJgunguy24
09-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Fake cans don't extend past the muzzle so they don't get fouled. IF they did extend past the muzzle, im sure it will reduce the sound signature by at least 1db and turn it instantly into a Suppressor.

I don't see how a barrel extension would limit your ability to clean the bore of your firearm in any way. :confused:

If the extension is attached via a weld, pin and weld, or silver solder the gap between the muzzle and fake can may have some corrosion issues. That is why I suggested flushing everything out.
Even if you got those surfaces tight, there will be a chance of something getting in there. That's unless it was somehow sealed or a gasket was fit.

I don't think it's a big problem if proper cleaning was done in a timely manner.