PDA

View Full Version : Watch tv from my computer?

sarge1572
09-03-2010, 8:16 PM
OK, I have a desktop computer that I want to run wireless internet to watch Netflix on my TV. This is what I have:

AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core processor 4200+, 2.19GHz, 960 MB ram, MS Windows XP service pack 3.

My ISP is Verizon DSL, 785 something or other (the slowest DSL service offered by Verizon).

Do I have the "stuff" to do what I want? If I do, what "add ons" do I need? I was thinking a wireless router and a Roku Player http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Digital-Video-Player-Options-W5.aspx Everytime I search for the information different information is offered and different equipment is recommended.

If I DON"T, what am I missing?

I've been to Fry's and their "tech" set me up with stuff that won't work for me (I contacted the manufacturer to make sure, and it won't work (PC2TV)
I've been to a couple of other "tech" places and I'm more confused than when I started.

If I get a different version from here I'm not entirely sure what course of action I'll take, but it won't be pretty!!!

Phew!!

Waiting with bated breath.

Jeff

AS45-70
09-03-2010, 8:30 PM
I was doing netflicks also, all i needed was a HDMI cable to go from my Vid card to the TV. I also use my PC's DVD and watch it on my TV. I dont see the need to by a DVD player when i have one in my PC. BTW i dumped netflicks, lousy selection. I pretty much watched everything they had i was interested in 2 weeks.

Milsurps
09-04-2010, 4:26 AM
My ISP is Verizon DSL, 785 something or other (the slowest DSL service offered by Verizon).

If I DON"T, what am I missing?
Jeff

On the STUFF part your OK. What you lack is speed. 768k DSL won't cut it. I have 3M DSL with Verizon and it just barely cuts it with Netflix. Think More speed. :D

HTH

locktime
09-04-2010, 7:46 AM
More speed.

And if you have a Wii, get the disc from Netflix and watch through the Wii. Works great. Or so the kids say.

Ricky-Ray
09-04-2010, 1:43 PM
More speed.

And if you have a Wii, get the disc from Netflix and watch through the Wii. Works great. Or so the kids say.

x2 Although the disc for me is for the PS3. If you have the Xbox360 the netflix software is already built in so you don't need the disc.

slobson
09-04-2010, 2:50 PM
I was doing netflicks also, all i needed was a HDMI cable to go from my Vid card to the TV. I also use my PC's DVD and watch it on my TV. I dont see the need to by a DVD player when i have one in my PC. BTW i dumped netflicks, lousy selection. I pretty much watched everything they had i was interested in 2 weeks.

yes for the HDMI
x2 Although the disc for me is for the PS3. If you have the Xbox360 the netflix software is already built in so you don't need the disc.
but more yes for the PS3. Both do it, but the PS3 will be less of a pain in the butt to hook up and get the display options right

todd2968
09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
can u just use a wi/fi media player

http://www.buy.com/prod/viewsonic-nextv-vmp75-1080p-network-media-player-stream-netflix/q/loc/111/215764450.html

sarge1572
09-05-2010, 6:22 PM
OK. More speed. Got it. NOW, considering I do that (which I will if I can get the REST of it) will ANY wireless router work? And if it won't, what kind do I need?????

AND, once I have THAT part, what kind of wireless receiver? I was looking at the Roku box.

todd asks if I can use a wi/fi media player. Todd, if I knew THAT I wouldn't have all of THESE questions. Sorry. Along with more speed, I obviously need MORE HELP!! HEEEELLLLPPPPP

Thanks
Jeff

todd2968
09-05-2010, 6:42 PM
No problem, Im just figuring this out also.
A friend of mine has linked this box with his home wifi network allowing him to connect all the computers together wirelessly and either streaming from internet or videos stored on his harddrive. I cannot attest to the speed or clarity but it does say 1080p.

CalBear
09-05-2010, 11:07 PM
If you're looking to stream stuff like netflix and not really anything in your own media library, then you're probably fine with a G or N wireless router + Roku HD. With a PS3 or 360 you can stream content from your PC through a media server program like tversity.

sarge1572
09-06-2010, 12:23 AM
WOO HOO!! That's what I wanted to hear!! Plain and simple.

Thanks CalBear!!! YOU DA MAN!!!!!

YE haaaawwwwww

I'm buying that stuff tomorrow. If I can remember I'll let you all know if it worked, it's the remembering that's hard.

Thanks
Jeff

JDay
09-06-2010, 12:46 AM
With a PS3 or 360 you can stream content from your PC through a media server program like tversity.

You only need Media Player in order to do this. Just add all your content to your library and configure media sharing.

todd2968
09-06-2010, 11:14 AM
roku cost like $300 a media player around $100 or less

CalBear
09-06-2010, 11:48 AM
You only need Media Player in order to do this. Just add all your content to your library and configure media sharing.
Are you referring to Windows Media Player? Ya, you can with WMP, but I've typically just used tversity or ps3 media server -- both are free, and I've had good experiences with them.

roku cost like $300 a media player around $100 or less
Eh, I don't know man. Roku HD is 70 bucks these days on Amazon. Someone looking to get a device that will stream netflix and some other online TV content is going to be hard pressed to find a cheaper and easier option.

The only drawback of Roku is its inability to stream content from your own media library. A network media player may be worth getting if you want that ability. There seem to be a few good options out there. I'd be sure to get something with a very large format support (particularly x264 MKV). I sometimes use PS3, but I will say this is not a good media streaming device, overall. It does not support some key formats like x264 -- the steps to play these popular formats are a pain in the ***. This device seems to support many formats, and has decent reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Network-ready-Player-WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN/dp/B002KKFP9Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283798518&sr=1-1

I'm just skeptical because I feel like that market has never become too big or polished. With the low price of home theater PC setups these days, I think a lot of people are just hooking a HTPC up to their TV. That setup ensures the widest compatibility and reduces networking hiccups.

sarge1572
09-12-2010, 4:00 PM
OK, JUST when I was ready to pull the trigger NetFlix sends me info on "WDTVlive PLUS". While perusing their site I found this router that uses the wiring inside the house?????? Has ANYbody tried this?

http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.1300400/productID.206168600/parid.13092400/catid.13742300/categoryID.43496300

Somebody tell me, quick. If I'm going to get something I have to do it before my kids find out I have any $$$$$$$$!!

Thanks
Jeff

diginit
09-12-2010, 9:39 PM
Not sure about that, But there are alot of prerecorded shows available online for free already. Antiques roadshow, Gilligans Island, and newscasts for example. I also use Limewire to download movies and music. There is also the option of buying an inexpensive TV Tuner card in order to watch TV on your computer. You have alot of options.

sarge1572
09-13-2010, 12:18 PM
OK, right or wrong I've made a decision... I'm buying a wireless router and the Roku HD wireless device. Since it all has to be ordered, and I have to hook it up MYSELF (all of my children have moved far far away) so I'll shoot for posting the results in about a week.

Thanks to all y'all (I'm practicing my Southern speak just in case I move there) for all of your input. If you noticed just about everyone has a different solution. That's the same thing I discovered when I went to a couple of different electronics stores.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Rhythm of Life
09-13-2010, 12:30 PM
I just hooked up a 7 pin S-video to RCA cable and I watch netflix / anything I want on my computer on my TV. Hell my TV is basically my monitor.

sarge1572
09-13-2010, 5:57 PM
Roger that. Problem for me is my computer is one room, my tv is about 70' away. I have hardwood floors. To hardwire I'd have to go either into the wall and through the ceiling and back down, or through the wall, outside of the house, back through the wall near the TV (can't/won't go under the floor too much work) so I was hoping for a wireless solution. On top of all that (being lazy and all) I have a 1080 tv, blu ray player, and some other thing with a blinking light so I don't want to buy a new "internet ready" one of something I already have.

However, I MAY have to go with a wire if things don't go as planned!!

Thanks for the info and I'm glad your system works well. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't burn down the house, or send out a signal only vampires and ET's can hear and home in on!!

Jeff