PDA

View Full Version : How to register a gun NOT on the CA approved list when shipped form a different state

1911parausa
09-03-2010, 6:19 PM
I recently bought a beautigul 1911 Para Ordenance USA 45ACP from an online gunrunner in another state. They shipped the gun but I couln't get it because it was NOT on the CA approved list; a day after a bought the same gun with with a lower magazine capacity. That was the only difference, so my question is How can you get a gun shipped from a different state legally registered in your name? perhaps, you can drive to nevada, buy it and bring it in your trunk? can anybody tell us more about this? Thanks a lot,

mds2004
09-03-2010, 6:24 PM
You'd have to have a parent, kid, or grand parent ship it to your dealer and it has to be a gift.

chiselchst
09-03-2010, 6:25 PM
I recently bought a beautigul 1911 Para Ordenance USA 45ACP from an online gunrunner in another state. They shipped the gun but I couln't get it because it was NOT on the CA approved list; a day after a bought the same gun with with a lower magazine capacity. That was the only difference, so my question is How can you get a gun shipped from a different state legally registered in your name? perhaps, you can drive to nevada, buy it and bring it in your trunk? can anybody tell us more about this? Thanks a lot,

My understanding is:

If it ain't on the roster, it cannot be shipped (legally) to Ca.

Others here will reply with more smarts than I....

Exemptions withstanding. Family chain, etc.

frunkis
09-03-2010, 6:25 PM
INBTL

MrBrent
09-03-2010, 6:30 PM
My understanding is it must be gifted to you by your parent or grandparent. Not a sibling. It is hard to find a FFL that understands how to do this BTW. Search the FFL section on this site and you will find the information you need.

Cokebottle
09-03-2010, 6:34 PM
I don't believe it has to be a gift, as long as it is a direct bloodline transfer.

chiselchst
09-03-2010, 6:35 PM
Be very careful what you say, claim to do, and say you have done on a public forum. :eek:

MrBrent
09-03-2010, 6:43 PM
Read this

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=245735&highlight=father+gift

Cokebottle
09-03-2010, 6:44 PM
perhaps, you can drive to nevada, buy it and bring it in your trunk? can anybody tell us more about this? Thanks a lot,
This is a violation of both Federal and State law.

There are only four exemptions for importing an off-roster gun:

1 - Intrafamilial transfer (direct blood line... son/father/grandfather).
2 - By bequest.
3 - Dimensionally-compliant single shot configuration.
4 - If you are a cop.

If you are unable to meet any of the above 4, then you can still obtain one from within the state, but it must be a person-to-person transfer at your local FFL, so you would need to find someone who is selling the gun that you want who is within a convenient distance (since you'll have to make 2 trips to the FFL).
If someone outside of your area is offering one, offer to pay for their gas to come to a local FFL for the transfer... it'll be cheaper than you making two 400 mile trips.

M. D. Van Norman
09-03-2010, 6:54 PM
Every day, someone moves into California. It is perfectly legal for such persons to bring their off-roster handguns with them.

Once they realize that their off-roster guns are junk (or have to pay a California mortgage), they can legally sell them to you.

vta
09-03-2010, 7:13 PM
sounds to me you are kinda screwed. but others have suggested the options available to you. just make sure you don't do anything illegal. like smuggle it in from nevada.

JohnFLand
09-03-2010, 10:18 PM
There are only four exemptions for importing an off-roster gun:

1 - Intrafamilial transfer (direct blood line... son/father/grandfather)...More accurately, "grandchild, child, parent, grandparent".

Cyc Wid It
09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Convert it with long barrel/single shot?

stitchnicklas
09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
so if i give my mother in arizona 500 bucks to buy the hk usp9 9mm sog has for sale at $479+shipping ,she can then give it to me when she comes over and i dros it at my local ffl shop...-the hicap mags of course..:rolleyes:?/?????

jtmkinsd
09-03-2010, 10:28 PM
perhaps, you can drive to nevada, buy it and bring it in your trunk? can anybody tell us more about this? Thanks a lot,

VERY bad idea...lol...that would result in some time in the State pokey...and you don't want that.

jtmkinsd
09-03-2010, 10:30 PM
so if i give my mother in arizona 500 bucks to buy the hk usp9 9mm sog has for sale at $479+shipping ,she can then give it to me when she comes over and i dros it at my local ffl shop...-the hicap mags of course..:rolleyes:?/?????

Straw purchase anyone?

although I guess as long as you go through an ffl your not really straw purchasing...I've seen this theory before of getting around the roster...but I'm wary of such maneuvering

vta
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Straw purchase anyone?

although I guess as long as you go through an ffl your not really straw purchasing...I've seen this theory before of getting around the roster...but I'm wary of such maneuvering

i think this one is totally fine. havent you ever tell your parents what you wanted for christmas when you were a kid?

ummm, i mean, havent you ever told santa?

jtmkinsd
09-03-2010, 10:45 PM
i think this one is totally fine. havent you ever tell your parents what you wanted for christmas when you were a kid?

ummm, i mean, havent you ever told santa?

Yeah...but I didn't send Santa the money for it...lol

Cokebottle
09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
No.

FFL-less intrafamilial transfer only qualifies between California residents.
An AZ resident must still transfer through an FFL.

She can physically bring it into California and you can go to the FFL together, but it still must be processed.

jtmkinsd
09-03-2010, 11:02 PM
No.

She can physically bring it into California and you can go to the FFL together, but it still must be processed.

I gotta say, I've had several customers go to another state to pick up an off roster intra-familial gun...they brought it back, filled out the form and sent off their $19 dollars and no problem....probably at least 5 I can remember in the last two years.

stitchnicklas
09-03-2010, 11:04 PM
No.

i thought that is what i infered when i said she buys and brings it here and i got local ffl for dros. i just want to get around the roster b.s. ,but would dros the gun from her to me.this would avoid the straw problem,i think...

but this purchase would be about 5-6 gun buys away,and by then i am hopeful gene has destroyed the roster law in california.

jtmkinsd
09-03-2010, 11:15 PM
i thought that is what i infered when i said she buys and brings it here and i got local ffl for dros. i just want to get around the roster b.s. ,but would dros the gun from her to me.this would avoid the straw problem,i think...

but this purchase would be about 5-6 gun buys away,and by then i am hopeful gene has destroyed the roster law in california.

it would have to be shipped in...she couldn't do a transfer here because she's not a CA resident...if she shipped it to you with a letter stating it's a gift, with make, model, and serial number that would work...she could bring it here...but it would be treated as a ship in because of the residency thing

Cokebottle
09-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I gotta say, I've had several customers go to another state to pick up an off roster intra-familial gun...they brought it back, filled out the form and sent off their $19 dollars and no problem....probably at least 5 I can remember in the last two years.
I'm sure it's done all the time, but it's not legal.
I've had Turner's employees advise me to do this as well, but it's still a violation of Federal law since the transfer is between residents of different states.

The reason they are able to get away with it on the state level is because:
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf
There is only one small box for "acquired from"... they don't ask for residency information from the transferor... the DOJ has no idea whether your parents live in CA or not.
i thought that is what i infered when i said she buys and brings it here and i got local ffl for dros.
I caught that on re-read but you had already responded so I didn't bother to edit it to "Yes, that's fine" ;)

Cokebottle
09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
it would have to be shipped in...she couldn't do a transfer here because she's not a CA resident...if she shipped it to you with a letter stating it's a gift, with make, model, and serial number that would work...she could bring it here...but it would be treated as a ship in because of the residency thing
Exactly... so it would be more than the $19, and more than the $35 PPT fee... just find an FFL with a decent transfer fee (who also understands that intrafamilial transfers are roster-exempt).

stitchnicklas
09-03-2010, 11:21 PM
eh,i will just wait for gene to smash that dang roster law,then i can buy all the off rosters i want..

Cokebottle
09-03-2010, 11:26 PM
eh,i will just wait for gene to smash that dang roster law,then i can buy all the off rosters i want can afford..
Fixed it for you ;)

Librarian
09-03-2010, 11:26 PM
She'd avoid trying to figure out how to ship the handgun if she brought it in, but yes, it would be correctly treated as an interstate transfer, roster-exempt because it is intra-family.

Capt. Speirs
09-03-2010, 11:33 PM
PM sent

deadlyapp
09-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Sounds like me like this kid tried to get a gun with a high cap mag and his seller actually shipped it like a dumb.

stitchnicklas
09-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Fixed it for you ;)

thanks....you forgot to include my wifes demand of every other gun she gets to pick...:smilielol5:

Cokebottle
09-03-2010, 11:48 PM
thanks....you forgot to include my wifes demand of every other gun she gets to pick...:smilielol5:
Okay... so you only get to have half the off-roster guns you can afford... but at least they'll all be in the same safe.

....or does she have her own safe too? :p