PDA

View Full Version : Walther P99 AS VS FNH FNP-9

Noah3683
09-03-2010, 5:00 PM
Dad is dead and I do mean DEAD SET on one of these two. He is at a final toss up though. Pro's and Con's for each model, personal experiences. What say you?

nazgulnarsil
09-03-2010, 5:20 PM
make sure he has shot the p99, many people don't like the ergos.

Noah3683
09-03-2010, 5:22 PM
Yeah he has shot both, but he's at a total draw to where even the price difference hasn't gotten a decision. Personally I like the FN having a hammer. One of his original must have criteria before he bought an xd lol. That Walther is a sexy looking SOB though

BHPFan
09-03-2010, 6:30 PM
If $$$ is no problem, get the P99AS. Otherwise, FN.

When it comes to operating the gun, the FN is slightly better as all the controls like the safety decocker is within reach.

When it comes to shooting the gun, I like the P99 better as it has a smoother DA/SA trigger pull IMHO.

Ergos are about the same as both have interchangeable backstraps.

OneSevenDeuce
09-03-2010, 6:45 PM
Clearly the only answer to your problems is for your dad to get BOTH.

Noah3683
09-03-2010, 7:09 PM
Clearly the only answer to your problems is for your dad to get BOTH.HAHA that was my idea, well sorta. He could pay for both, but I would keep the FNH in my possession :D he didn't bite

OneSevenDeuce
09-03-2010, 7:10 PM
he didn't bite

They never do...

plan-b
09-03-2010, 7:33 PM
I have 2 P99s and I'm DROSing an FNP-9 next week (already paid for, stupid 1 in 30 rule). I have yet to get familiar w/ the FN, but I have no doubt that it's an awesome gun. That said, I'd give up half of my gun collection before I'd even consider giving up one of my P99s. People complain about having to get used to the trigger, but it's not nearly as big of a deal as you might think. Empty out half a dozen mags and you don't even realize you're staging the trigger. Plus the trigger break is as crisp and clean as anything you'd get from a factory gun. Excellent ergos & sexy aesthetics complete the package.

Noah3683
09-03-2010, 7:43 PM
I have 2 P99s and I'm DROSing an FNP-9 next week (already paid for, stupid 1 in 30 rule). I have yet to get familiar w/ the FN, but I have no doubt that it's an awesome gun. That said, I'd give up half of my gun collection before I'd even consider giving up one of my P99s. People complain about having to get used to the trigger, but it's not nearly as big of a deal as you might think. Empty out half a dozen mags and you don't even realize you're staging the trigger. Plus the trigger break is as crisp and clean as anything you'd get from a factory gun. Excellent ergos & sexy aesthetics complete the package.That's the kind of summary I was looking to hear. It's rare you hear that kind of statement. The only thing I have that I feel that way about is my predator. It's not even my favorite to shoot, but it holds a special sentimental value. I hear rave reviews for both, but p99 owners seem to be extra passionate about that pistol

wutzu
09-04-2010, 2:42 PM
My P99 has the best trigger pull of any handgun I've ever shot or dry-fired, outside of (semi) custom 1911s. It's that good. I love shooting it more than any of my other handguns and will never sell it for that reason. Haven't tried the FN, so I can't give you a comparison, but no plastic gun comes close to having a trigger as good.