PDA

View Full Version : Do my ten days start from when I order or when my FFL recieves the gun?

Vbp6us
09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I just ordered my first handgun, the Glock 19 gen 3 from Nevada. The gun won't be here until Friday of next week. The place I bought the gun from has my FFL dealer's information on file. Does this mean my process will have to wait till my FFL gets the gun?

Thanks

paul0660
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
The ten days starts when the serial number of the gun is entered into the process.

halifax
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Your 10 24hr wait begins when the dealer electronically submits the DROS. That is, after you've completed the paperwork.

Plisk
09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
When you AND the gun are both present at the receiving FFL.

leelaw
09-03-2010, 10:15 AM
The ten days start once the DROS is electronically submitted to DOJ

Vbp6us
09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
OK thanks for the clarification. I was hoping a few days would be knocked off while waiting for the dreaded shipping. Oh well, my AR15 will be fully built by then. :D

Thanks guys

cmichini
09-03-2010, 10:53 AM

If your FFL has the S/N I believe they can START the process. I've seen a transaction where DROS was started even though pistol was still en route. I believe it's the time/date stamp when the DROS is submitted that starts the clock, officially.

I know there's often discussion whether you can start the 10 days without the pistol present, so that's a topic for each buyer/FFL, but the time/date stamp on the form should be 0:00:00 as far as DOJ is concerned since that's the only evidence an auditor/investigator would have to rely on what started the clock ticking.

vta
09-03-2010, 11:47 AM
after you fill out the form at the FFL and they press enter on the computer to submit your information.

zman
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
If your FFL has the S/N I believe they can START the process. I've seen a transaction where DROS was started even though pistol was still en route. I believe it's the time/date stamp when the DROS is submitted that starts the clock, officially.

Correct! Some FFL do this especially if you are a "regular".

Vbp6us
09-03-2010, 2:43 PM

I know there's often discussion whether you can start the 10 days without the pistol present, so that's a topic for each buyer/FFL, but the time/date stamp on the form should be 0:00:00 as far as DOJ is concerned since that's the only evidence an auditor/investigator would have to rely on what started the clock ticking.

That would be so awesome to do but being new to this dealer and the whole process itself, I doubt I'll get any leniency. :(

big al
09-20-2010, 7:34 PM
how about rifles? does it have to be physically present at your ffl before the dros can start? thanks

vNaK
09-20-2010, 8:00 PM

This is great to know. Gotta try this when I am more of a regular with my FFL.

Roccobro
09-20-2010, 10:09 PM
how about rifles? does it have to be physically present at your ffl before the dros can start? thanks

No, they don't. If you have a cool FFL you can add some more rifles on the last day before pickup. Done this many times.

Justin

TakeFive
09-20-2010, 10:28 PM
The handgun waiting period start depends on the availability of the serial number to the selling dealer. If he has the number, he can enter the DROS after you fill out the 4473. There is no issue of leniency, just the number availability and his willingness to redo the paperwork if the received gun has a different number that what he put on the DROS.

jtmkinsd
09-20-2010, 11:18 PM
The handgun waiting period start depends on the availability of the serial number to the selling dealer. If he has the number, he can enter the DROS after you fill out the 4473. There is no issue of leniency, just the number availability and his willingness to redo the paperwork if the received gun has a different number that what he put on the DROS.

DROS = $25, re-entering DROS = $25, Arguing with the customer about who pays the extra fee...priceless

NO FFL is gonna fill out a DROS on a handgun unless he/she has it present at the time of the DROS

zman
09-21-2010, 7:42 AM
NO FFL is gonna fill out a DROS on a handgun unless he/she has it present at the time of the DROS

I disagree. A lot of FFLs do this all the time.

GlockBlocker
09-21-2010, 8:39 AM
Really? What if you ordered the gun and signed the paperwork, then the gun comes in. Do you really have to go back to the store to start the waiting period?

jtmkinsd
09-21-2010, 9:44 AM

I'm sure some do...what a "lot" means is up to interpretation...lol

It's doable, but like I stated, there is a risk...people give, or get the wrong serial number all the time, and if you're willing to fork over the extra $25 in the case of a mistake...then so be it. But I know of none in socal that do it cuz it's not worth the headache.

Long guns? No problem, no serial number on the DROS...Handguns? I want to see the serial number when I enter it. :)

Roccobro
09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
DROS = $25, re-entering DROS = $25, Arguing with the customer about who pays the extra fee...priceless

I'm sure some do...what a "lot" means is up to interpretation...lol
It's doable..

When you speak in absolutes, your most likely to be proven wrong. "A lot" is subject to interpretation like you said. "no ffl" is an absolute and is not open for interpretation. And thus was dis proven.

Thank you for explaining why a dealer might not do it for a handgun.

Justin

ruddogg
09-21-2010, 3:04 PM
I just DROS'd my gun on Sat, & the gun is still en route, was suppose to be delivered to the FFL on Mon, but the FFL is closed Mon & Tue, so the FFL won't receive the gun till tomorrow, but my clock started on Sat when he submitted the paperwork. I'm picking it up next Wed since he's not open on Tue when the 10 days are up.

Thanks @LeeLaw :)

CoyoteHunter555
09-21-2010, 3:13 PM
At Ade's Gun Shop in Orange, I had to go in to start the 10 day when they received the rifle from Lan World Inc

BC9696
09-21-2010, 3:15 PM
I just ordered my first handgun, the Glock 19 gen 3 from Nevada. The gun won't be here until Friday of next week. The place I bought the gun from has my FFL dealer's information on file. Does this mean my process will have to wait till my FFL gets the gun?

Thanks

Here, as a subject (not a citizen) in the People's Republik of Mexifornia, it's 10 days (to the minute) from the time you complete your DROS app.