PDA

View Full Version : How much difference does muzzle brake makes?

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 11:11 AM
To put on an AR-15 that is, I know they are already have very little recoil, but I was thinking of improve it further with faster and more accurate follow up shots, so how much differences does muzzle break really make, its worth it?

ArkinDomino
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes. Muzzle rise is what it reduces more than felt recoil though.

BTW, the topic title makes 3rd grade teachers cry.

Jpach
09-03-2010, 11:15 AM
They can make it even more non existant. You just have to figure out of the increased concussion and loudness is worth the recoil reduction of an already light recoiling firearm.

I use a Linear Levang comp on my 16" AR. Its designed to blow all the noise/blast forward make it seem quieter to the shooter and his/her buddies. I like it.

Also, 3-gunners are really into their brakes because they DO work. Any little increase in recoil reduction is good. It all depends on your purposes.

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
good thing I am not in 3rd grade. And yes, I know what muzzle break does, I am asking does it reduce the recoil significantly.

killshot44
09-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Muzzle BRAKE..........

No, they don't reduce much recoil. They DO keep the barrel in position, as do quality Compensators.

a308garand
09-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I would work on improving my shooting position and more practice with the rifle than hitting it with parts. Some muzzle brakes can become expensive.
I run the basic A2 flash hider. My Vortex doesn't get shot as often as the regular old stuff.

Squaring up to the target, keeping a good cheekweld and shoulder contact into the rifle while shooting will make those follow-up shots quicker on target with less muzzle rise between shots.

When the skills are there, a new recoil brake could make a minor improvement. Seek out some quality instruction and you will see what other folks are running on their rifles; maybe even allowed to take a test drive of them to see what works for you.

shark92651
09-03-2010, 11:25 AM
No it doesn't reduce recoil significantly, not that a 5.56mm AR has much recoil to begin with. And it's a muzzle brake, as in it puts the "brakes" on muzzle rise, not break.

SuperSet
09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
For fast follow-up shots, a compensator is the way to go. Note the barrel movement of non-compensated barrels vs. various compensators here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15-Compensators-pt-2

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks, exactly what I am looking for, going to change the title.

UserM4
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I bought an inexpensive YHM muzzle brake from RifleGear and was very skeptical. But at the first trip to the range with my new brake, shooting while standing, a range officer came up to me and asked what kind of brake I had because from where he was standing, he couldn't see my barrel rise at all. It's right there that I realized how well my sight stayed on target with the brake compared to my old birdcage flash hider. I'm now a believer. I'm sure that an expensive brake will be better than the YHM but there's a significant difference between a standard A2 flash hider and even this inexpensive yet effective YHM brake. Thanks RG!

ArkinDomino
09-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks, exactly what I am looking for, going to change the title.

Let me do it for you...

"Considering the inherent qualities of the recoil (or there lack of) of the 5.56, will the utilization of a muzzle brake make a significant difference?"

I kept it a little basic.

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Read my first post FOLLOW UP SHOTS, and yes I already acknowledge I am aware 5.56 has very little recoil within the first post.

So go back to the 4th grade, and learn how to read before you post.

thrillhouse700
09-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I have this one, It is freaking awesome for 17 bux.
http://www.m4store.net/index.php?p=product&id=244
We did a heads up with my buddy's AR. He has a birdcage on his and there was a very noticeable diff.

DougJ
09-03-2010, 1:03 PM
I had a just thread protector and then put an RRA Brake on my AR. It's a featureless build so no flash suppressor. I didn't think much about it since the 5.56 has so little recoil, but the brake was cheap... However, I was watching my wife shoot it after I put the brake on and was surprised how flat the rifle stays during recoil. It makes a differance.

TMC
09-03-2010, 1:07 PM
They do help speed up follow-up shots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6kmw-Bllg

Pay no attention to the shotgun and pistol potions

A324
09-03-2010, 1:16 PM
I use a Linear Levang comp on my 16" AR. Its designed to blow all the noise/blast forward make it seem quieter to the shooter and his/her buddies. I like it.

Thumbs up for the Levang Linear Compensator, I've tried them all and it's my favorite. Works well and the price is right.

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 2:08 PM
But does it make it really loud? I did some google and it seems most people are not happy with the guy shooting this AR with compensator on the range.

Is there a compensator what reduces recoil while at same time make it less annoying.

CoyoteHunter555
09-03-2010, 2:36 PM
Sorry I didn't read any other replies, but they aren't made to reduce recoil significantly, rather muzzle jump. So adding a quality made/designed brake will improve your follow up shots enough to make adding one well worth it.

TKM
09-03-2010, 2:52 PM
http://www.jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=recoil

Stumbled across this last weekend.

ArkinDomino
09-03-2010, 2:54 PM
I heard they sell loudeners for guys like the OP. :P

And don't get mad at my grammer nazi attacks, I only poke fun because I'm insecure. I also have guns because I have to compensate for other things. :D

dieselpower
09-03-2010, 3:02 PM
My MB is very loud, anyone standing next to me isn't liking it. My follow-up shots are very fast.

I am still wanting my flaming pig back :(

I sold it to build a featureless and now I regret it.

mif_slim
09-03-2010, 3:05 PM
a muzzle brake only breaks the fire bal, it doesn't reduce recoil. some do but not all. I think you meant compensator. if it's that then it does help. single shots you won't tell the difference but fast shooting you can tell.

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 3:09 PM
a muzzle brake only breaks the fire bal, it doesn't reduce recoil. some do but not all. I think you meant compensator. if it's that then it does help. single shots you won't tell the difference but fast shooting you can tell.

????? All of my muzzle brakes significantly reduce preceived recoil.

mif_slim
09-03-2010, 3:47 PM
then there's no need for compensators right?

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 3:51 PM
then there's no need for compensators right?

They are a different animal. Comps tend to push the muzzle down while MBs tend to pull the firearm forward. Yea, I over simplified it but, that's pretty close.

17+1
09-03-2010, 3:58 PM
Makes the rifle very 'blasty'...very annoying for anyone near you when you light it off.

thevic
09-03-2010, 3:58 PM
Fsc556 and go get some headaches :)

BigBamBoo
09-03-2010, 4:14 PM

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 6:01 PM
Great thanks, very good infos

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-03-2010, 6:23 PM
For fast follow-up shots, a compensator is the way to go. Note the barrel movement of non-compensated barrels vs. various compensators here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22829785/AR15-Compensators-pt-2

wow Arreddondo and few others barely move. that is a real interesting comparison there.

But they can/do make the muzzle blast a ***** though for people shooting near you.

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 8:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khooFsnEPYI

When I saw this I thought the video is either doctored or its really a .22

CSACANNONEER
09-03-2010, 8:47 PM
Folks who moan and whine at the range about people shooting with brakes all have options to move away from that shooting position.

Just my opinion...and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Take care,Stan

I try to warn the shooters nect to me 'cause my brakes can and have blown over guns on the benches next to me. I also find it funny that most people try not to stand dirrectly behind a gun with a brake. Instead they somehow end up stading to the side and dirrectly in line with the redirrected gasses.

SJgunguy24
09-03-2010, 9:09 PM
I try to warn the shooters nect to me 'cause my brakes can and have blown over guns on the benches next to me. I also find it funny that most people try not to stand dirrectly behind a gun with a brake. Instead they somehow end up stading to the side and dirrectly in line with the redirrected gasses.

I was at Metcalf one say and this dude comes up in a wheel chair and the range master is carrying a ski bag. Ok so they whip out a M82 fricken Barret 50 Cal.
They get it set up and he lit that first shot, my hat blew off. I was kinda off at 4-5 o clock behind him and after that I was at his 6. You could feel it but not like that punch I got from the direct shot off the brake.

Poppy83
09-03-2010, 9:25 PM
I just got my ar-15 and also the 5.5" CAR muzzle brake from Bushmaster. I originally bought it because I wanted to change the look of my Sig 522. Now I'm not sure where I want to put it...

Fjold
09-03-2010, 9:32 PM
Yes. Muzzle rise is what it reduces more than felt recoil though.

BTW, the topic title makes 3rd grade teachers cry.

The teacher is still crying:

How much difference does muzzle brake makes?

It should be:

How much difference does a muzzle brake make?

How the hell can you put "makes" in the question?

jackliu239
09-03-2010, 9:34 PM
The teacher is still crying:

How much difference does muzzle brake makes?

It should be:

How much difference does a muzzle brake make?

How the hell can you put "makes" in the question?

Welcome to CALGRAMMER.net

mif_slim
09-03-2010, 9:51 PM
the grammOr police!! :)

Reductio
09-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Can't help you if we can't understand you.... :D

KCDS
09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
yoy guys are bunch of dxxks:rofl2:

Dhena81
09-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Read my first post FOLLOW UP SHOTS, and yes I already acknowledged I am aware that 5.56 has very little recoil within the first post.

So go back to the 4th grade, and learn how to read before you post.

There I fixed it for you

BTW I don't think ArkinDomino was being mean by calling out your title your just missing an A and adding an S it happens to all of us.

jackliu239
09-04-2010, 12:17 AM
wow... just wow you guys are.... wow

vta
09-04-2010, 12:24 AM
http://www.jprifles.com/v/v_d.php?v=recoil

Stumbled across this last weekend.

holy flame thrower....

thefiringline
09-04-2010, 12:34 AM
My friend has one of these on his rifle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMFQpE378hs

Definitely a huge difference between the PWS FSC556 and my VLTOR VC-1. Shooting a rifle with the PWS FSC556 really feels like shooting .22LR. Of course, though, they are expensive and will make RO's complain more about your rifle than the guy down the line with the Barrett.

I would have tossed my VC-1 already for one of those if it wasn't pinned and welded.

IsaacGlass
09-04-2010, 12:51 AM
There I fixed it for you

BTW I don't think ArkinDomino was being mean by calling out your title your just missing an A and adding an S it happens to all of us.

Look who's talking :smilielol5:

sleepercar
09-04-2010, 1:00 AM
Good way to remember.. Your cat is missing. Thus, you're missing your cat.
Or watch Gallagher's skit..

freonr22
09-04-2010, 1:05 AM
My friend has one of these on his rifle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMFQpE378hs

Definitely a huge difference between the PWS FSC556 and my VLTOR VC-1. Shooting a rifle with the PWS FSC556 really feels like shooting .22LR. Of course, though, they are expensive and will make RO's complain more about your rifle than the guy down the line with the Barrett.

I would have tossed my VC-1 already for one of those if it wasn't pinned and welded.very nice, my friend

VulpesVafrae
09-04-2010, 8:40 AM
I can say my experience on this with a .308. I have an SAI M1 Scout, it came with its compensator, I'd say it worked, but it made it LOUD. I put a Smith Brake on it, it made it jump up less, but less felt recoil then the SAI brake? Hard to tell. For brakes reducing felt recoil overall against a non-brake, I'm going to have to say big time YES.

I shot my friends Rem 700 VTR (it has a built in brake)[.308] the thing would kick back like crazy on you (Its just because I'm used to my scout). We brought a chick with us to the range, she got timid of firing the Rem 700 for fear of scope-raccoon-eye-syndrome, but felt fine shooting my Scout, watching her shoot it, you could visibly see the gun knock her back less with my Scout, compared to the VTR, and thats just two guns with different brakes!! Granted other things to take into account like the weight. (my scout is much heavier) Other then that, Brakes are great! ..If you have the proper ear protection.

foxtrotuniformlima
09-04-2010, 9:12 AM
The addition of a brake with no other changes will reduce muzzle movement but to reduce recoil, there are a few other changes to be made. Namely, adjustable gas system, lightened buffer and a lightened bolt carrier.

The reason for all this is not just to make the gun more pleasant to shoot, but for 3 gun type competition it allows for a faster shooting . That is why I have a Surefire MB on my AR. That an it looks tacticool. :p

Fate
09-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I love my MSTN QC brake. Makes triple-tapping a breeze. There's NO muzzle rise. Gasses are pushed to the side, so it's not that loud (for the shooter).

I have been to the side of it when a friend of mine shot a few magazines worth of ammo thu it. It's windy! Good thing we don't usually set up next to each other at the range. Haha.:D

BigBamBoo
09-04-2010, 1:55 PM

kingjoey
09-04-2010, 3:48 PM
JHC, many of these threads are a classic example of why people shouldn't believe what they read on the internet. It is a simple concept, a muzzlebrake stops a portion of the accelerated propellant (which has weight) thereby reducing the primary recoil caused by accelerating the propellant and the secondary recoil created by the propellant accelerating even faster when the bullet leaves the barrel. A muzzlebrake reduces ACTUAL recoil which in turn reduces FELT recoil. A muzzlebrake is going to be more effective on a gun with a high propellant-to-bullet weight ratio, so something like a .45ACP isn't going to get much benefit from a brake, yet a 7mm Mag will get a huge recoil reduction from one. The .223 gets a large recoil reduction from a muzzlebrake because the propellant makes up about 1/3 of the total accelerated mass (about 27grs of propellant and 55gr of bullet) so a good muzzlebrake can cut the recoil anywhere between 25-50% depending on the design and the ammo load. The recoil of a .223 isn't bad, but if you are trying to get quick follow-up shots or are running a full-auto then it makes a huge difference. We wrote up a fairly simplified explanation of the physics behind muzzlebrakes a few years ago, its still kinda eggheaded but it explains how they work and what causes recoil.

http://kingarmory.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page77.html (Muzzlebrake Tutorial)

And to see a brake in action on a .223, here's an old video we put together a couple years ago of one of our units on a 10.5" M16, those aren't easy to control without a brake or comp since they weigh less and cycle faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN0t3mJTGNQ

xxINKxx
09-04-2010, 4:58 PM
I had a just thread protector and then put an RRA Brake on my AR. It's a featureless build so no flash suppressor. I didn't think much about it since the 5.56 has so little recoil, but the brake was cheap... However, I was watching my wife shoot it after I put the brake on and was surprised how flat the rifle stays during recoil. It makes a differance.

Hmm..Ive been wanting the RRA brake for awhile. For the most part the standard flash hider works fine, But If a 35$ part that looks cool and helps then heck, why not...Im looking to reduce muzzle rise, and 2nd I like the RRA looks over majority of the other brands and its still cheap (dont feel like spending over a 100$ on a brake that I will have to weld due to barrel length) I just havent found alot of feedback if it even helps over a standard FH