PDA

View Full Version : Shipping handgun out of state

Ryan HBC
05-12-2006, 12:22 PM
If I sold one of my handguns to someone in Texas, can I personally ship it to their FFL directly, or do I have to have an FFL ship it for me? I guess I don't understand how the state of CA will know that the gun will no longer be registered in my name.

I also assume that California the only state with an "approved" handgun list to reference?

Anything else I need to take into consideration before shipping out of state? Thank for your help all.

EBWhite
05-12-2006, 1:02 PM
You can use any private company to ship your gun. FEDEX, UPS, DHL. Most have their own policy that requires the use of overnight only but it is not a law and does not have to be followed (you might have a problem with the claim later but its up to you what route you want to go)
I would not tell them its a handgun, the chances of getting stolen on an inside job go up.

Nobody but CA has a safe list...

Ryan HBC
05-12-2006, 1:36 PM
So as long as I ship to an FFL, I will be released of all liabilities associated with that gun's serial number?

Overkill
05-12-2006, 3:15 PM
Yes. If you want, there is also a form available on the DOJ's website that you can submit informing them that you are no longer in possession of that pistol.

SFV_Dealer
05-13-2006, 6:28 AM
There are other states that do not allow firearms to be shipped to individuals such as New York, New Jersey, DC, HI, etc... But Texas is a truly free state!