PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Kimber TLE/RL

DaveFJ80
09-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Funny thing is, while I was waiting for the 10 days to go by, I saw so many new 1911 thread pop up here... that and new Glock threads. I did some late night cleaning and took some pics. Going to the range tomorrow to break in the Kimber, and to test out the new Arredondo mag extension, new smooth trigger, and rubber decal grips on the G19. I setup both guns tonight for HD, each resting in their own GunVault.

Kimber Custom TLE/RL II (10+1 setup), TLR-1s light, Trijicon night sights, .45 230gr +P HST JHP
Glock 19 (23+1 setup), TLR-1s light, Trijicon night sights, 9mm 147gr +P HST JHP

The Glock will be my dedicated go-to gun for HD use, as I've trained with it and I'm more comfortable using it. But the Kimber feels so damn good in my hands, it's going to be a fun gun to shoot :)

Just a couple of pics for now.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Kimber/HD_Pics/61.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/mugenef8/FIREARMS/Kimber/HD_Pics/64.jpg

terry4130
09-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Very nice. I'm still waiting to get my new Kimber Raptor out to the range. Things keep coming up though... Let us know how it shoots.

vta
09-03-2010, 12:33 AM
im assuming that g19 is in texas. threaded barrel and all.

plankowner
09-03-2010, 5:08 AM
I keep a Glock 23 .40 for me and I also have the same Kimber for my girlfriend , she loves that gun, been meaning to buy a light for it just haven't found the funds yet , but she has a hand held Surefire for now

JanG
09-03-2010, 6:45 AM
almost makes me want to get a glock to pair with my warrior II :D

evidens83
09-03-2010, 6:51 AM
Beautiful deadly duo! Hate to deter from the Kimber but your G19 is sweeeett!!

DaveFJ80
09-03-2010, 8:14 AM
Thanks. Somebody mentioned that Kimbers usually come with Meprolight night sights. I thought so too, but when I put the Kimber up side by side with the Trij's on my Glock in complete darkness, they are exactly the same luminescence. I've seen Mep's next to my Trij's and they are considerably brighter. Go figure, but they work perfectly for me.

Surprisingly (well, maybe not so much), the 23 round mag feels much better and much lighter than using a 33 round mag. With the Arredondo mag extension, it feels almost no different than when I had the +2 Glock extension on the G17 mag with 19 rounds. When you put in the G18 mag, you can really feel the difference in weight and how the gun feels when you move it around. The included spring is very tight to get the last round in, but no problem with the Uplula.

I really wanted the X300 light on the Kimber, since I've seen it on other 1911's and it looks really good, plus it's a little brighter compared to the TLR lights. But I just went with another 160 lumen TLR-1s mainly because I was used to the controls with it on my Glock, and the last thing I needed was trying to operate a different light in the middle of the night when I'm half asleep (the momentary On buttons are different on each, and I've trained using the monentary button quite a bit). Same night sights, same light... the only difference is remembering the safety now since I'm used to the Glock.

And yes, the threaded barrel and suppressor stays in TX. I just had it at the time for some pics. The G19 usually stays in CA with me, with the factory barrel and pre-ban mags in it. In TX, anything goes :D

bayboydray408
09-03-2010, 9:55 AM
Ive never seen it done so im just gonna ask, you can put a kimber custom 2 slide and internals on a tle/rl frame right? I dont see why not its basically the same gun, Im just asking because I havent seen it done.

The only reason I would do this is for the rail, and if its a series 70 frame that would be even better, I dont really care for the swhartz safety on my custom 2.

GSG222
09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Congrats on the Kimber TLE. It's a fun gun to hold and shoot. Enjoy!

rips31
09-03-2010, 3:39 PM
currently, the tle/rl is a member of the custom ii "family." the only difference between the 'standard' custom ii and the tle/rl, i think, is the night sights, front-strap checkering, and rail.

if your tle/rl slide comes off a series ii gun, you won't be able to use it on a series i (non-schwartz) frame, as the schwartz safety/pin actuates the firing pin safety on the series ii slide. i've read that you can change the firing pin in the series ii slide to a series 70 pin and it will work without the schwartz safety, but that's only what i've read on the internet.

the schwartz safety actually doesn't cause significant change to your gun. it disengages the firing pin safety when you depress the grip safety. it doesn't alter the trigger pull, weight, take-up, overtravel, etc.

Ive never seen it done so im just gonna ask, you can put a kimber custom 2 slide and internals on a tle/rl frame right? I dont see why not its basically the same gun, Im just asking because I havent seen it done.

The only reason I would do this is for the rail, and if its a series 70 frame that would be even better, I dont really care for the swhartz safety on my custom 2.

Malthusian
09-03-2010, 3:48 PM
I have never had a FTF or FTE with my Kimber TLR / RL
Very reliable and accurate

Remember "do not depress" the grip safety when sliding on the upper and if you feel resistance make sure is is not the Schwatz safety system

Have had "0" issues with the Schwatz, just need to be aware of it during reassembly

ScorpioVI
09-03-2010, 3:50 PM
Congrats, I just got mine too.

Don't mean to threadjack, but does anybody have holster suggestions for the TLE/RL II, with and without a light.

Malthusian
09-03-2010, 4:01 PM
I have one of each. One for just the gun and one for the gun with weapon light.
Both are made by Galco
I like them both

Sajedene
09-03-2010, 4:28 PM
LOVE IT! Those are two beautiful guns.

bsg
09-03-2010, 4:50 PM
congratulations; nice.... :)