PDA

View Full Version : Glock Night Sights vs Aftermarket

KillZone45
09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Might be picking up a Glock here (G20) in the future, just wondering if I should all aftermarket NS or go with the stock Glock NS? Also anyone know the cheapest place to order the G20 in Orange County or possibly online? Thanks!

SJgunguy24
09-02-2010, 11:21 PM
If you do your research you will soon find out that the OEM night sights for Glocks use Trijicon lamps. Most night sights do indeed use Trijicon lamps. I have meprolights simply for the contrast. Green front with orange rear.

KillZone45
09-02-2010, 11:26 PM
If you do your research you will soon find out that the OEM night sights for Glocks use Trijicon lamps. Most night sights do indeed use Trijicon lamps. I have meprolights simply for the contrast. Green front with orange rear.

Thats what I have on my HK but yellow rear, green front. I like the contrast so the front doesnt blur into the rear sights.

tbhracing
09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
I have after market Trijicons on both of my Glocks. (17 and 19) I think thats the best way to go.

PutTogether
09-02-2010, 11:43 PM
The glock night sights are just fine.

If you want to buy a new one in Orange County, you can order a brand new one with 10 rd mags from galleryofguns.com for $634.34 including shipping, tax, DROS, and all fees - meaning $634.34 is the total you pay, not a penny more, and pick it up at OC Armory.

KillZone45
09-02-2010, 11:49 PM
The glock night sights are just fine.

If you want to buy a new one in Orange County, you can order a brand new one with 10 rd mags from galleryofguns.com for $634.34 including shipping, tax, DROS, and all fees - meaning $634.34 is the total you pay, not a penny more, and pick it up at OC Armory.

How does that work? Doesnt OC Armory want to charge me their fees on top? And what exactly is the difference between the SF or slim frame versus the regular frame, and would I want it compensated or bad idea?

PutTogether
09-03-2010, 2:57 AM
Usually when you buy a gun online and have it shipped to an FFL, they charge a fee for "receiving" it for you.

Galleryofguns.com though, is a normal wholesale distributor of guns to retail dealers anyway, so there is no extra charge. You pick the gun you want, by using the "gun genie" link on their home page. When you click the "instant quote" button, it gives you prices for dealers local to your area. You select the one you want to pick up the gun at, and pay a deposit with your credit card.

A few days later, the gun shows up at the FFL you picked, and they call you to have you come pick it up. (I would pick OC Armory, they are awesome guys, and a great store, and not too far from you if you are in NB)

When you go pick it up, you pay the remaining balance of the price quoted on the website and nothing else. It is a win-win. You get cheap online pricing AND get to avoid the normal "receiving" fees. I've personally used the site several times, and had guns delivered to On Target and OC Armory and never had a problem. I highly recommend it.

As for a compensated G20? I'd pass and go for the regular barrel. I don't know what your experience with the 10mm is, but hot 10mm loads are LOUD and have a ton of muzzle flash anyway, I wouldn't want to add to that with a ported barrel. I also don't think the recoil in the G20, even with the hottest loads, is bad enough to necessitate porting anyway. Besides, I think gallery of guns only sells the 20C with the 15 round (non california) mags.

If you like Glocks, and/or are wanting to experiment with a 10mm gun - you can't do better than the G20 in my opinion. It is inexpensive, and supposedly just about the only 10mm tough enough to stand up to the hottest loads. Prepare to get some funny looks at the range when you touch off some full power rounds - people will come from a few lanes over to ask you what the hell it is you are shooting. You can get slightly hotter than .357 mag performance out of a reliable as hell autoloader, pretty sweet.

You also have the option of buying a drop in .40 SW barrel so you can shoot cheaper .40SW ammo. The top ends of the G20 and G21 are interchangeable as well, so you can even convert it to shoot .45ACP if you wanted to without having to buy a whole new gun.

I've got one and love it.

The SF stands for "short frame" not "slim frame." It is an important distinction, because the frame isn't any thinner at all, it just doesn't bulge out toward the rear of the grip as much. It makes a huge difference of feel in your hand, but is almost impossible to see. On the SF version, the "hump" toward the rear of the frame is just much less pronounced.

Mine is the standard (non SF) version, and it fits my hand just fine. A LOT of people prefer the SF though, because the G20/21 grip size is really big, and the SF is quite a bit easier to handle. I personally don't prefer one over the other, but the easiest way to explain it is that some people (like me) have no preference, and some people prefer the SF, but I've yet to see anyone who actually prefers the NON SF model - so you might want to get the SF just to be safe.

Remember though, that the only difference is that one minor part of the grip. Other than that, the G20 and the G20SF are identical in every way, all parts, magazines, accessories, holsters, and everything else are identical, so you don't lose anything picking one over the other.

I say go for it and buy one. The 20 is always in demand, so even if you decide you don't like it (which won't happen - you'll love it) it will be really, really easy to sell.

I'll quit rambling, hope the info helped.

blindluck
09-03-2010, 6:21 AM
I'm not a fan of the stock glock night sights. The front is too wide and the rear notch is too narrow. I've tried xs 24/7 (will sell em cheap if interested), truglo TFO, and ameriglo pro operators green/yellow with a .140" front on various glocks. For me, the ameriglo's have a sight picture that is vastly superior to stock and significantly better than the two others.

KillZone45
09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks PutTogether that helped a ton! So if I bought a G20 and to shoot the 40S&W all I need is the barrel and mags correct? Then how do I go about buying a G21 slide? Who sells those, I take it I would have to buy an aftermarket slide like Lonewolf? I think that is wonderful that I would be able to shoot three different calibers out of one gun.

PutTogether
09-03-2010, 3:56 PM
Actually, if you want to shoot .40 out of the G20, you only really need the barrel. The 10mm mags work just fine for .40 SW

If you bought a G21 top end to put on it, you would also need .45ACP mags. You are correct - you would need to buy either a glock, or aftermarket, slide and barrel, and then a Glock slide parts kit, as well as mags.

You can get all of the above from lone wolf.

dennab
09-03-2010, 4:04 PM
Glockmeister in Mesa, AZ are great. They have recommended the Meprolight sights in the past.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
09-04-2010, 12:41 AM
I've used both the Glock factory (Trijicon) and Ameriglo sights. Either type work well. Can't help you as far as retail locations down south, but I've always been able to find a pretty good deal on them on eBay.