PDA

View Full Version : Difference between MG License and Permit?

xLusi0n
05-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Looking at the Dangerous Weapons application, there's 2 seperate boxes: Machine Gun License and Machine Gun Permit, what's the difference?

xLusi0n
05-12-2006, 5:01 PM
Quick Delete ;)

For the record, I am simply asking (curious).

linuxgunner
05-12-2006, 5:20 PM
I know that you need a special DoJ issued permit to own an MG here. I know that the accepted wisdom is that only a handful of movie prop companies can get these permits. Has anyone here ever tried that or looked into it? Anyone here ever applied (not as a prop company, but just as an individual who wants to own an MG)?

artherd
05-12-2006, 8:40 PM
I *THINK* the license is to sell (or manufactuer) them, and the permit is to posess (think hollywood.) Could be the other way around, it's been a while.

SFV_Dealer
05-13-2006, 7:22 AM
Yes, the permit is what I have been seeing recently with the movie companies wanting to purchase AR & AK's in mass quantity. They get to leave with their purchases without the 10 day wait - better than an LEO - they don't need a letter from the "chief" or "commander".... Shocked my customers when they came in - showed their AW/MG permits and swooped off the lowers without the wait, signed the DROS and 4473 - off they went!
To get one, you need to be connected with a LE Agency or movie company - they run thru a very extensive background check, legal background issues, credit checks, etc.. Sort of like getting a Federal top secret clearance where they talk to your past employers, teachers, pastors, etc....

artherd
05-13-2006, 9:40 AM
There are also severe 4th ammendment abbrigation issues, similar to an FFL, the DOJ can come in at any time to 'inspect' your MGs for 'safe storage'. (safe storage is also very stringent. In vehicles they must be inside metal locked cases that are BOLTED TO THE VEHICLE FRAME.)