PDA

View Full Version : Explain hi cap mags for a Glock 19 to me...

Vbp6us
09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
So I'm about to buy my G19 gen 3. It's coming from Nevada, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. He has 3 hi cap mag rebuild kits he wants to send with the gun. What is he talking about and is it hard to get these three mags down to hold only 10 rounds? Is the mag going to stick way out at the bottom of the gun? I don't want like a 30 round mag that's sticking out by 4". :o

Someone please explain this mumbo jumbo. He says most people prefer the rebuild kit versus the actual 10 round mags because you can use them in free states. I understand that part but please explain what entails a rebuild.

Thanks

Verci0013
09-02-2010, 10:33 PM
a Rebuild is pretty much a non-modified magazine that is sent disassembled, from what I understand selling or shipping "hi cap" magazines to this state are somewhat illegal.

9mmlaw
09-02-2010, 10:35 PM
A rebuild kit is used to repair hi-caps you may have owned before the 2000 ban. You cannot reassemble the magazines and use them, only repair previously owned magazines. If you move to a state that allows standard capacity magazines you can reassemble them and use them there. It sounds like this is your first G19 so the magazines are of little use to you.

Glock magazines are fairly cheap so it would be easier for you to simply buy 10 round magazines and hold on to the rebuilds until you either move or California law changes.

If and when you are able to legally use the greater than 10 round magazines they will not stick out the bottom unless they are G17 magazines. In that case the they still work but stick out a couple inches or so.

leelaw
09-02-2010, 10:37 PM
A rebuild kit is a disassembled large-capacity (11+ rounds) magazine; the basepad, spring, follower, and body.

They are legal to possess and transfer.

They are not legal to assemble into new large capacity magazines within the state of California.

I'd rather purchase factory ten round magazines than modify a large capacity magazine to hold only ten rounds, because I'd rather have the liability of figuring out how to make the magazine hold only ten rounds fall onto the shoulders of the large company, instead of mine.

Vbp6us
09-02-2010, 10:41 PM
OK this is making more sense now. I'm going to go with the regular 10 round magazine route.

Thanks.

vta
09-02-2010, 11:05 PM
when in doubt, go with what you know. buy some 10 rounders.

cmth
09-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Keep the rebuilds, and assemble and use them only when out of state. Don't forget to disassemble them before coming back into California. Buy a couple 10 rounders for use here in the state. Plenty of people do this regularly, and it is entirely lawful. It's a great feeling to remove your bullet button and slap a 30 round PMAG into your Gene Stoner carbine.

dennab
09-03-2010, 12:28 AM
too late to get a Gen IV?

Dr Rockso
09-03-2010, 12:35 AM
too late to get a Gen IV?

They're not on the CA roster, ergo we can't get them (except via private party transfers from roster-exempt importers like LEOs, etc).

Vbp6us
09-03-2010, 10:17 AM
To be honest, I don't mind having multiple 10 round mags, even when I travel outside of CA. If I leave CA permanently, I'll buy hi caps obviously.

vta
09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
To be honest, I don't mind having multiple 10 round mags, even when I travel outside of CA. If I leave CA permanently, I'll buy hi caps obviously.

the only reason why i hate the glock 10 rounders (besides the law that prohibits them), is that they are such a pain too take apart!!!!!!