View Full Version : MG and SBR Seperate Features to Register?

05-12-2006, 7:15 AM
OK, first off, this rifle is going to be registered and kept in Arizona.

If the rifle is both a MG and SBR, do I need to file 2 seperate forms to register it and pay 200 X 2 for the stamps?

OR, if it's a MG then features like short barrels don't need further registration.

05-12-2006, 7:51 AM
Sure does...thanks!

05-12-2006, 8:17 AM
MG is the 'trump' card. Your MG can also be an SBR, but does not require any furthur action. (just don't take that short barrel off and put it on an AR-15 lower :)

Incidentally, MG permits do exist in CA, however SBR permits DO NOT.

So the only legal way in CA to posess a 10" AR type gun is as a Machine Gun.

(and if your DIAS were to fall out, you could be charged with illegal SBR posession! :D )

05-12-2006, 8:36 AM
Actually SBR permits do exist. I talked to DOJ and there's 3 types of people that have em: Hollywood for movies, Law Enforcment / Military <---even these guys need to "have a need for it" (i.e. a trainer or ST).

Now, I'm not sure which permit is easier to obtain...but either way, I'm just going to register it in AZ because my chances are going to be slim.

I have another question...if you incorporate and you're business (in CA) is in the business of doing things like tactical training, can your business justify a MG, SBR permit? The only thing about that is then you would have to sell it if the company goes away.

05-12-2006, 12:10 PM
I just thought of something while trying to figure this out.

If someone managed to get a SBR permit for an AR-15, but the AR-15 was not in CA or registered as an AW in CA, does it bypass the AW ban? OR do you still need to keep it fixed mag?

I guess a MG doesn't qualify to be an AW since it's not "semi-automatic."

Too bad MGs are 15000 and MG permits are hard to get.

That's why I'm sticking with registering it in AZ.