PDA

View Full Version : Single shot FAL?

Ford8N
05-12-2006, 6:31 AM
If a FAL has the gas valve turned to grenade and the piston removed, is it considered a non semiauto? I was wondering with all this talk of "capacity.." and "intent..". I tried to find a definition in the law books of what is a semi-auto in Kalifornia, but failed.

-hanko
05-12-2006, 7:08 AM
If a FAL has the gas valve turned to grenade and the piston removed, is it considered a non semiauto? I was wondering with all this talk of "capacity.." and "intent..". I tried to find a definition in the law books of what is a semi-auto in Kalifornia, but failed.
If the piston is removed, the rifle becomes a single-shot, regardless of which position the gas plug is in...definitely not semi-auto. With the piston installed and the plug in the 'grenade' position, no gas hits the piston & the gun, again, is not semi-auto.

Your point??

-hanko

zenthemighty
05-12-2006, 9:20 AM
I' think he's dreaming of a magazine feed "Bolt action" FAL. Problem is that your arm will get tired of the spring loaded action by the time you finish a mag.

bwiese
05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
My FAL single-cycles nicely (Izzy HBAR upper).

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE GAS SYSTEM CLOSED if there's no gas piston installed!!

loneeagle308
05-12-2006, 1:14 PM
Not necesarily. I go through XX rounds hand cocking with both Belgium plastic bullets and Austrian blanks and I'm a lightweight. The blanks really lock the bolt and sometimes just hit the butt on the ground, a battle rifle can take it.

VeryCoolCat
05-12-2006, 3:06 PM
It says SEMIATUOMATIC firearms yes.... you would have to find something that would plug the gas system and would have to manually pull each round into the chamber...

Actually, its a high caliber rifle... thats not that bad of an idea. Something .308 maybe...

Ford8N
05-12-2006, 4:43 PM
Thank you for the replies. I just wanted to know if there is a legal standard of what a semi-auto is. Because if you remove a part but every thing else remains the same, is it in the eyes of "The Man" still a semi-auto.

Rascal
05-12-2006, 9:12 PM
Thank you for the replies. I just wanted to know if there is a legal standard of what a semi-auto is. Because if you remove a part but every thing else remains the same, is it in the eyes of "The Man" still a semi-auto.

Yes, it is still a semi-auto, unless you found a more permanent way of making it single shot, like welding the gas hole shut.

Ford8N
05-13-2006, 4:48 AM
Where did you see the words "permanent" and "weld" in conjuntion with the definition of a semi-auto action in the Kalifornia Penal Code? I like to see things like this in writing.:)

saki302
05-13-2006, 5:37 AM
Precisely. Nowhere does it say it must be permanently altered. There is no 'constructive possession' of a semiauto, thus any extra steps are more likely from prosecution paranoia than the letter of the law, IMO. I have asked for the relevant quote from the law before and no one has been able to provide it yet. BUT it's easy to find the part of law which states there is no constructive possession of an assault weapon, so does it not figure that there would be no constructive possession of a semi-auto? Same thing- you can't have one without the other. If you're truly paranoid, leave the gas piston with a freind.

I wouldn't consider flipping the gas selector to GL as non-semiauto though- pulling the gas piston fully OFF the rifle would be your safest bet as it requires the addition of parts to make it semi again. And as Bill said, make SURE you have it set on GL if you pull the piston, or you;ll have an.. ahem.. interesting experience.

-Dave

Where did you see the words "permanent" and "weld" in conjuntion with the definition of a semi-auto action in the Kalifornia Penal Code? I like to see things like this in writing.:)