PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of "evil" features for legal use of hi-cap mags...?

DannyInSoCal
09-02-2010, 6:46 PM
Here is a link to an article I found online - Which claims that getting rid of your "evil" features on an AR15 allows the legal use of hi-cap mags.

http://www.exilemachine.com/landing04ca.html

As always - Looking for input from CalGunners..............

Thanx, Danny

Josh3239
09-02-2010, 6:48 PM
Yep, and if I am not mistaken exilemachine is a site sponsor.

DougJ
09-02-2010, 6:51 PM
I built mine featureless to accommodate the standard capacity magazines I have. There's many ways to on this, I have a Hammerhead and an Monster Man Grip.

deadlyapp
09-02-2010, 7:15 PM
As mentioned, if you go off of the flow chart and modify your rifle to be featureless there is no issue using a high capacity magazine as long as legally owned prior to 2000.

mif_slim
09-02-2010, 7:19 PM
When I was younger I bought a bunch of hi-cap mags...I was going to collect them since I was saving money to buy a AR... never had the money then the ban came along.. I had the mags put away for years until I got an AR. so now...I have a featureless to use those mags I've had many many moons ago!

:)

CSACANNONEER
09-02-2010, 7:23 PM
Exile's correct. I'm shocked that everyone doesn't already understand this. Featureless builds have been around since the inception of OLLs.

sevensix2x51
09-02-2010, 7:23 PM
yeah, you got it. use your legally owned standard magazines.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62567&d=1279679200
but not just for ar 15's! all rifles that can fit into the letter of the law, can be run featureless!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64371&d=1281067042

sorry if the photos are too big. :o

CHS
09-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Here is a link to an article I found online - Which claims that getting rid of your "evil" features on an AR15 allows the legal use of hi-cap mags.

Yup!

And?

joelogic
09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Claims, huh?

Jpach
09-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Yup!

And?

Ha wait, we can buy AR-15s!?!? :p

X-NewYawker
09-03-2010, 6:59 AM
BTW -- you can also use those AR-15 magazines in rifles that came featureless, like the Remington 7615 pump rifle and the new Benelli MR-1

MikeR
09-03-2010, 7:55 AM
The Exile grip is nice too, so much so that even if i didnt have pre ban standard caps i would most likely use them on low cap 10 rounders.

For the internet police the stock is pinned...
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/AR4-1.jpg

evidens83
09-03-2010, 8:08 AM
Interesting ;)

mif_slim
09-03-2010, 8:40 AM
The Exile grip is nice too, so much so that even if i didnt have pre ban standard caps i would most likely use them on low cap 10 rounders.

For the internet police the stock is pinned...
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/AR4-1.jpg

lol. Nice looking rifle. I like my stubby myself. ;) Good product and good guys over at Exile.

DannyInSoCal
09-03-2010, 9:10 AM
Ordered mine today...

Thanx for the info everyone..............

D

lawaia
09-03-2010, 9:18 AM
Function over form, featureless rocks!!!!!:D

ar15barrels
09-03-2010, 9:20 AM

Thanx, Danny

It's indeed true that you can use large capacity mags with a featureless build.
However, you would have to already own those mags prior to 1/1/2000 as you can no longer buy large capacity mags in CA anymore.
Also, you can not import them or manufacture them.

So, the mere ownership of a featureless AR won't be some magic ticket that allows you to buy large capacity mags...

Exile Machine
09-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Ah looks like you stumbled on to our google adwords landing page... Same page if you click on our banner ad at the top of the Calguns forum, and the sig link below and maybe a few other places we're not telling. :43:

The legality of the featureless / high cap connection has been hashed out ad infinitum on this forum so the old timers are just having some fun with the n00bies.

We're actually having a 3-fer sale this week. 3 Hammerhead grips in a box for $44. Got to clear space on the warehouse shelves for some other good stuff.

Mark Gessner
President/CEO
Exile Machine LLC

Jpach
09-03-2010, 10:39 AM
It's indeed true that you can use large capacity mags with a featureless build.
However, you would have to already own those mags prior to 1/1/2000 as you can no longer buy large capacity mags in CA anymore.
Also, you can not import them or manufacture them.

So, the mere ownership of a featureless AR won't be some magic ticket that allows you to buy large capacity mags...

We are still allowed to buy them. Dont forget about the Armored vehicle guys being able to sell to normal people, and also check this post out. It pretty much sums up that if a person illegally SELLS a high cap to someone who BUYS it, the buyer wont get nailed for "conspiracy" :

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3856919&postcount=108

Its a really good read.

I cant wait till we can easily legally acquire high caps again, with both parties being legal. Too bad we dont know of any armored vehicle guys who will sell mags to us.

Mail Clerk
09-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanx, Danny

Danny,

Personally I'd rather keep the evil features including the bullet button and just use a 10/20 round magazine. Anything else will make me stop buying any AR or AK personally.

Mail Clerk

Roccobro
09-03-2010, 1:25 PM
Ah looks like you stumbled on to our google adwords landing page... Same page if you click on our banner ad at the top of the Calguns forum, and the sig link below and maybe a few other places we're not telling. :43:

The legality of the featureless / high cap connection has been hashed out ad infinitum on this forum so the old timers are just having some fun with the n00bies.

We're actually having a 3-fer sale this week. 3 Hammerhead grips in a box for $44. Got to clear space on the warehouse shelves for some other good stuff.

Mark Gessner
President/CEO
Exile Machine LLC
214 432 7411
Does this include your new FDE grips?

Justin

Exile Machine
09-03-2010, 1:28 PM
Does this include your new FDE grips?

Justin

Yep, mix/match any colors we have in stock (https://www.exilemachine.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=83). Currently that's matte black, FDE, and the Krylon Fusion colors: satin black & pink. Just write your color choice in the comments block.

-Mark

MasterYong
09-03-2010, 2:24 PM
I didn't see it meantioned yet, and while it seems obvious:

"Featureless" simply means an absence of "evil features." It does NOT mean the absence of a bullet button. So, let's be clear for the newbies: if your rifle is truly featureless, you can remove your bullet button. If you want to run high caps in a featureless rifle, YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR BULLET BUTTON! If you do not, insertion of a high cap mag into said rifle will create an assault weapon.

I only mention this because I've seen, more than once, very cautious people say that they put bullet buttons on their featureless rifles "just to be safe" (even though you clearly don't have to). If you're one of those few "just to be safe" kind of guys, do not put high capacity mags in a bullet button-equipped rifle!

(Disclaimer: not only am I not a lawyer, I also want to point out that I prefer the sensible and traditional term "standard capacity magazine" and not the legal, demonizing term "high capacity magazine" and I only use the latter in this post to be as clear as I can.)

Exile Machine
09-03-2010, 2:34 PM
+1 on the post above.
I've got customers who run a BB + Featureless because it makes them feel legally "safer," but they know not to run large capacity mags in 'em.

http://www.exilemachine.com/images/customer_photos/CP003.JPG

ar15barrels
09-04-2010, 6:29 AM
We are still allowed to buy them. Dont forget about the Armored vehicle guys being able to sell to normal people, and also check this post out. It pretty much sums up that if a person illegally SELLS a high cap to someone who BUYS it, the buyer wont get nailed for "conspiracy" :

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3856919&postcount=108

Its a really good read.

I cant wait till we can easily legally acquire high caps again, with both parties being legal. Too bad we dont know of any armored vehicle guys who will sell mags to us.

please post a list of places selling large capacity mags or your post is worthless...

Jpach
09-04-2010, 10:37 AM
please post a list of places selling large capacity mags or your post is worthless...

1. The technical wording snd meaning of the law is not worthless.

2. I clearly stated "Too bad we dont know of any armored vehicle guys who will sell mags to us." This means I would have no list for you.

3. If you read the link I posted, or what I said about it, it pretty much says that buying from a random person should technically not be illegal, even though the seller would be comitting a crime.

This means that we should all technically be able to buy from anyone and any place. Selling is the issue in this case though.

tomd1584
09-04-2010, 11:25 AM

ProForce :p

ar15barrels
09-04-2010, 8:58 PM
ProForce :p

They are open to the public now? ;)

Centrally located in Brea, California the ProForce store is not open to the general public and only open to Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders and Fire Professionals. ID is needed to gain entry iinto the store which is open Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm Pacific for your convenience.

ar15barrels
09-04-2010, 9:00 PM
1. The technical wording snd meaning of the law is not worthless.

2. I clearly stated "Too bad we dont know of any armored vehicle guys who will sell mags to us." This means I would have no list for you.

3. If you read the link I posted, or what I said about it, it pretty much says that buying from a random person should technically not be illegal, even though the seller would be comitting a crime.

This means that we should all technically be able to buy from anyone and any place. Selling is the issue in this case though.

I'll rephrase my description of your post above to "useless for any practical purposes" instead of it being absolutely useless.

Endless
09-05-2010, 1:02 AM

Yes, where can anyone get true large capacity mags?

I am not talking about standard 20 or 30 round mags. I am looking at large capacity 40, 50, 75, 100, and 150 round mags/drums. I bought 4 30 round standard Kriss Super V mags today. $60 bucks a piece. I bought 4 "during the ban" Hk 416 LE stamped 30 round standard magazines last month. 150 round drums/beta mags are kind of hard to find.

faterikcartman
09-05-2010, 2:40 AM
I thought this was going to be some sort of troll thread where he wanted folks to admit to buying AR-15s instead of OLL.

Mail Clerk
09-05-2010, 8:21 AM
Personall I have no big deal shooting a 10 round magazine!!! Heck the way shooting ranges are closing it's hard enough just to get a couple hours of shooting set aside the super high price of ammo.

The 20 rounders with the mag blocks inside are fine with me cuz anything shorter is harder to remove the mag for reloading.

Still I prefer my AR's to have the bullet button and keep the so called evil features just for looks/convenience at the bench.

To have a need for anything larger than 10 rounds is OK with me but yeah I would like a 20 rounder again but it's illegal. What can the average shooter do? Nothing..... Just use the 10 rounder keeo your mouth shut and enjoy shooting safely.

Mail Clerk

DannyInSoCal
09-05-2010, 9:58 AM
I'll rephrase my description of your post above to "useless for any practical purposes" instead of it being absolutely useless.

Gotta love someone who has a business in this market - And yet comes off like an azz in this economy. Unless sarcasim is a free option...

Comical.

Thanx, D

sevensix2x51
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I thought the rephrase was hysterical. He's always willing to help me with my dumbass questions... randall is good people.

Jpach
09-05-2010, 2:58 PM
Gotta love someone who has a business in this market - And yet comes off like an azz in this economy. Unless sarcasim is a free option...

Comical.

Thanx, D

I wouldnt say it was an *** comment since we dont know of any armored vehicle guys that will sell us high caps. So what I said may be somewhat useless concerning the armored vehicle companies (for now).

BUT, the ability to buy still exists. I know that lots of people who just DGAF will not mind selling their high cap mags for a quick buck. I know this is very common, just like FTF gun sales that dont happen through an FFL.

Ive been offered high caps on several occasions, and each time I passed on the offer.
However, if I were to buy the mags, I wouldnt be committing a crime. Id say thats a pretty important thing to know.

santacruzstefan
09-05-2010, 4:25 PM
Hey Exile, any plans on an AK grip? I suppose I could just use kydex, but I like the look of your product. Also, it would make switching back/ forth easier than using, say, a saiga in the sport config.

ar15barrels
09-05-2010, 4:31 PM
Gotta love someone who has a business in this market - And yet comes off like an azz in this economy.

It was true, but non-offensive.
It's mostly my lack of smiley usage that makes people think I am offensive. ;)

I am offended by people's lack of ability to see sarcasm when it's so obvious.
Therefore, I refuse to use smileys as I do not feel I should have to work to explain sarcasm to the lowest levels of society.

Exile Machine
09-05-2010, 4:43 PM
Hey Exile, any plans on an AK grip?

"No comment" on future plans at this time...:43:

I do know a couple guys out there got ahold of some blemished Hammerhead grips and got medieval on them with a dremel so they'd fit their AKs. Not sure how well that worked out. The AK's a weird animal, very different from the AR. What features would you like to see in a featureless AK grip?

-Mark
Exile Machine LLC

Roccobro
09-05-2010, 4:51 PM
I'm still stuck in the smiley phase of membership....

Justin

Roccobro
09-05-2010, 4:52 PM

I do know a couple guys out there got ahold of some blemished Hammerhead grips and got medieval on them with a dremel so they'd fit their AKs. Not sure how well that worked out. The AK's a weird animal, very different from the AR. What features would you like to see in a featureless AK grip?

-Mark
Exile Machine LLC

Bolt on, cheap price (like your AR models), and offer grip in between AK and Saiga distances and trigger angles. Tall order my friend...

Justin

Roccobro
09-05-2010, 4:55 PM
And since I'm in post whore mode in this thread...

I placed my order from Exile Machine on Friday night. Got a canned "order received" email. Then after 9pm (on a FRIDAY) I get another (personalized) mail saying it ships tomorrow. I hope this doesn't set a scary precedence Mark! CS and shipping speed on par with Missouri Bullet Company!

Justin

santacruzstefan
09-05-2010, 10:13 PM

-Mark
Exile Machine LLC

Comfort/ ergonomics, style, and affordability, but then aren't these the goals of every designer :D? I tried to draw a picture of what I envisioned in Paint, but it looked... poorly.

Exile Machine
09-06-2010, 5:19 AM
Then after 9pm (on a FRIDAY) I get another (personalized) mail saying it ships tomorrow.

What's worse is that was 11PM central time... :43:

PCC
09-06-2010, 9:08 AM
"Featureless" simply means an absence of "evil features." It does NOT mean the absence of a bullet button. So, let's be clear for the newbies: if your rifle is truly featureless, you can remove your bullet button. If you want to run high caps in a featureless rifle, YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR BULLET BUTTON! If you do not, insertion of a high cap mag into said rifle will create an assault weapon.

Newb here. Can someone explain this to me? I know what it means to have a featureless rifle (like a Mini-14) but why would a bullet button in combination with a large capacity magazine (LCM) make it an AR? Is it because any rifle with a LCM automatically classifies it as an AR?

TIA!

CHS
09-06-2010, 9:17 AM
Newb here. Can someone explain this to me? I know what it means to have a featureless rifle (like a Mini-14) but why would a bullet button in combination with a large capacity magazine (LCM) make it an AR AW? Is it because any rifle with a LCM automatically classifies it as an AR AW?

First, I fixed it for you.

Second, a "fixed magazine" rifle with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds is an assault weapon in CA. Period. The lack of or presence of any "features" don't matter in this case. If you have a bullet button on your rifle, you cannot use high-cap mags. Period.

Now, if you go featureless and NO bullet button, you can use high-cap mags to your hearts content.

PCC
09-06-2010, 9:28 AM
Thanks! The laws in this state are really convoluted. You really need to keep on your toes if you want to be a legal gun owner here.

Yeah, I slipped up on he whole "AR" and "AW" thing. Thanks for straightening that out for me.

Roccobro
09-06-2010, 9:53 AM

Second, a "fixed magazine" SEMI-AUTO rifle with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds is an assault weapon in CA. Period. The lack of or presence of any "features" don't matter in this case. If you have a bullet button on your rifle, you cannot use high-cap mags. Period.

Now, if you go featureless and NO bullet button, you can use high-cap mags to your hearts content.

A little more clearer. :)

Justin

ke6guj
09-06-2010, 2:37 PM

Second, a "fixed magazine" SEMI-AUTO centerfire rifle with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds is an assault weapon in CA. Period. The lack of or presence of any "features" don't matter in this case. If you have a bullet button on your rifle, you cannot use high-cap mags. Period.

Now, if you go featureless and NO bullet button, you can use high-cap mags to your hearts content.to continue the clarification :D

to PCC, this is the law that deals with large-caps in a fixed mag rifle

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. not that it only applies to semi-auto centerfire rifles. it does not apply to rimfire rifles, or other centerfire action types. There is a separate "10+round fixed mag" law for pistols.

sbsdexp1
09-06-2010, 3:08 PM
so how would anyone know if you have a pre ban 30 round magazine? is there a date stamped on them?

Exile Machine
09-06-2010, 3:18 PM
so how would anyone know if you have a pre ban 30 round magazine? is there a date stamped on them?

No one would know and there's no requirement for mags to be date stamped. But that's a whole 'nother topic. Read this --> http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

-Mark

PCC
09-07-2010, 8:30 AM
Thanks for the info, folks. Maybe it's time for me to get a bolt action rifle.

DannyInSoCal
09-15-2010, 9:47 AM
Got the piece from Exile/Mark - Excellent fit and feel..!!

I've been searching for a "list of evil features" - Anyone have a DOJ list of what can be run with a BB - And what can be run "feature-less"...

( Example: I see that forward pistol grip is a no-go feature-less/highcapmag - But can you run a bipod...? )

My 6.8 was built with a Raddock. Can I just disable it - Or does it need to be removed completely...?

Thanx, DISC

DannyInSoCal
09-15-2010, 9:50 AM
Sent from another member - Another beer I owe.............

http://www.calguns.net/copmemo2.pdf

Thanx, DISC

Exile Machine
09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear your grip arrived!
The "evil features" are defined here: (CA PC 12276.1(a)(1)(A-F)) (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php)

SJgunguy24
09-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Not to take from Marks product but this was my solution.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/001-9.jpg

Gundam
09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
So what about an AR pistol? I'm having a hell of time trying to find out if it's possible to use hi capacity magazines inside an AR pistol.

ke6guj
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
So what about an AR pistol? I'm having a hell of time trying to find out if it's possible to use hi capacity magazines inside an AR pistol.

not on a semi-auto AR-pistol. a semi-auto AR-pistol needs to have a fixed mag of <11-rounds to be legal. A non-semi-auto AR-pistol can use large-cap mags, and detachable mags as well.

Fate
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Negatory. Since a semi-auto AR pistol accepts a magazine outside of the pistolgrip, it triggers AW status IF the magazine is not fixed. And if the fixed magazine is >10 rounds, that also triggers AW status.

So with semi-auto AR pistol builds, you are limited to a <11 round fixed mag (w/bullet button).

Roccobro
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
When was the registration period for AW pistols in CA?

Justin

Fate
09-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Got the piece from Exile/Mark - Excellent fit and feel..!!

I've been searching for a "list of evil features" - Anyone have a DOJ list of what can be run with a BB - And what can be run "feature-less"...

( Example: I see that forward pistol grip is a no-go feature-less/highcapmag - But can you run a bipod...? )

My 6.8 was built with a Raddock. Can I just disable it - Or does it need to be removed completely...?

Thanx, DISC
Evil features are:
Pistol grip
Forward Pistol Grip
Flash Suppressor
Grenade Launcher
Telescoping stock

Things like bipods, handstops, sling mounts and light mounts are legal to use on featureless builds EVEN if you use them like a forward pistol grip.

Re: your raddlock, you can just disable it on a featureless build, but be careful not to accidentally lock a large capacity mag in it :)

ke6guj
09-15-2010, 12:17 PM
When was the registration period for AW pistols in CA?

JustinJan 1, 2000 - Jan 23, 2001 IIRC. That extra 23 days was just for AR and AK items, IIRC, due to some legal issues.

icentropy
09-22-2010, 6:53 PM
Here's my Featureless in all it's hi-cap non-raddlocked glory.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fr_YY-tTs64/TJqs_O1CN0I/AAAAAAAAAcM/XZyqJOpt7FQ/s800/CA%20legal%20camo%20006.jpg

DannyInSoCal
09-22-2010, 9:33 PM
Here's my Featureless in all it's hi-cap non-raddlocked glory.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fr_YY-tTs64/TJqs_O1CN0I/AAAAAAAAAcM/XZyqJOpt7FQ/s800/CA%20legal%20camo%20006.jpg

NICE BUILD !!

If I move the stock and install it behind the HammerHead -

Do I need to run the upper buff tude to keep it legal...?

(It fits me much better with the stock lowered.)

Also considering a barrel shroud or fake silencer to beef up the front end (pure cosmetics) - Could this be considered a "suppressor"...?

Thanx, DISC

CHS
09-22-2010, 9:35 PM

If you remove the buffer tube, where is the BCG, buffer, and spring going to go?

DougJ
09-22-2010, 11:24 PM
If you remove the buffer tube, where is the BCG, buffer, and spring going to go?

A. Your face

B. A long ways

C. All of the above

JaeOne3345
09-22-2010, 11:55 PM
I finished converting my Bullet Button rifle to a featureless build today. I went with an sjc titan brake, solar tac grip fin, and a pinned acs stock.

I love it! I will post pics soon. If I knew what I know now I would have NEVER built a Bullet Button rifle in the first place. I can't imagine ever going back to it.

Exile Machine
09-23-2010, 2:37 AM
Also considering a barrel shroud or fake silencer to beef up the front end (pure cosmetics) - Could this be considered a "suppressor"...?

I'm assuming you mean a buffer tube from a collapsible stock vs a dedicated pistol buffer tube? You can put any tube on there that will contain the buffer & spring, it can be formerly part of a collapsible stock as on icentropy's rifle , or it can be a pistol buffer tube that's incapable of accepting a stock. Either way's legal. You may be thinking of an AR pistol build where there's a federal "constructive possession" issue regarding a buffer tube that can accept a buttstock, and owning a buttstock that can fit it. That's not an issue with a rifle.

I also run the Type I config similar to that shown above and being super-tall I find it much more comfortable than a stock AR-15 with a pistol grip. We actually have customers in the free states who prefer this configuration as well and use the Hammerhead for the purpose of lowering the stock & getting a wooden rifle hold, not to meet any legal restriction.

A fake silencer is not a suppressor at all. It has no flash suppressing or sound suppressing function. We have recently started carrying the Spike's Tactical fake cans (https://www.exilemachine.com/store/index.php?cPath=27) to to put some evil back into the featureless build.

http://www.exilemachine.com/images/customer_photos/CP014.JPG
Customer Photo w/Fake Silencer

-Mark
Exile Machine LLC

DannyInSoCal
09-23-2010, 9:03 AM
I'm assuming you mean a buffer tube from a collapsible stock vs a dedicated pistol buffer tube? You can put any tube on there that will contain the buffer & spring, it can be formerly part of a collapsible stock as on icentropy's rifle , or it can be a pistol buffer tube that's incapable of accepting a stock. Either way's legal. You may be thinking of an AR pistol build where there's a federal "constructive possession" issue regarding a buffer tube that can accept a buttstock, and owning a buttstock that can fit it. That's not an issue with a rifle.

I also run the Type I config similar to that shown above and being super-tall I find it much more comfortable than a stock AR-15 with a pistol grip. We actually have customers in the free states who prefer this configuration as well and use the Hammerhead for the purpose of lowering the stock & getting a wooden rifle hold, not to meet any legal restriction.

A fake silencer is not a suppressor at all. It has no flash suppressing or sound suppressing function. We have recently started carrying the Spike's Tactical fake cans (https://www.exilemachine.com/store/index.php?cPath=27) to to put some evil back into the featureless build.

http://www.exilemachine.com/images/customer_photos/CP014.JPG
Customer Photo w/Fake Silencer

-Mark
Exile Machine LLC

Thanx for the buffer tube clarification Mark.

Will the fake can just slip over my A2 flash hider or replace it? Here is the upper I'm running: http://riflegear.com/p-50-stag-arms-model-5h-68mm-complete-upper.aspx According to Stag it has a 1/2 x 36 thread.

I might just have to make another Exile purchase... :D

And I agree the Hammerhead "rifle" hand position is much more comfortable and natural feeling than using the pistol grip. To each his own though....

Roccobro
09-23-2010, 9:25 AM
Thanx for the buffer tube clarification Mark.

Will the fake can just slip over my A2 flash hider or replace it? Here is the upper I'm running: http://riflegear.com/p-50-stag-arms-model-5h-68mm-complete-upper.aspx According to Stag it has a 1/2 x 36 thread.

I might just have to make another Exile purchase... :D

And I agree the Hammerhead "rifle" hand position is much more comfortable and natural feeling than using the pistol grip. To each his own though....

I haven't been able to make that absolute of a statement on the Exile grip. But it is pretty dang close!!!

Justin

icentropy
09-23-2010, 9:41 AM
We have recently started carrying the Spike's Tactical fake cans (https://www.exilemachine.com/store/index.php?cPath=27) to to put some evil back into the featureless build.

Those look interesting... They must provide some amount of quieting down over a compensator or flash suppressor.

Exile Machine
09-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Spike's has cans in two varieties. Both have you remove (unscrew) the flash hider first. Either type would work with your upper.

The first kind slips on over the end of the barrel and shrouds about 6" of barrel. It screws on so that the end of the barrel and the end of the suppressor are flush. This makes it look like you have a shorter barrel than you do. The bullet flies free from the end of the barrel. It's as if you had a thread protector on there, so there's no attenuation of sound or flash.

The second kind threads on at the end of the barrel and adds about 6" of length to the barrel. The bullet leaves the barrel and flies directly through the bore in the fake can for about six inches. There are no baffles or flash suppressing features.

We currently only have the 1/2x28 threads in stock. We should have the 1/2 x 36 in stock soon though.

And I agree the Hammerhead "rifle" hand position is much more comfortable and natural feeling than using the pistol grip.

Thanks! Depends on what you grew up shooting I think.

-Mark

DannyInSoCal
09-23-2010, 4:06 PM
Spike's has cans in two varieties. Both have you remove (unscrew) the flash hider first. Either type would work with your upper.

The first kind slips on over the end of the barrel and shrouds about 6" of barrel. It screws on so that the end of the barrel and the end of the suppressor are flush. This makes it look like you have a shorter barrel than you do. The bullet flies free from the end of the barrel. It's as if you had a thread protector on there, so there's no attenuation of sound or flash.

The second kind threads on at the end of the barrel and adds about 6" of length to the barrel. The bullet leaves the barrel and flies directly through the bore in the fake can for about six inches. There are no baffles or flash suppressing features.

We currently only have the 1/2x28 threads in stock. We should have the 1/2 x 36 in stock soon though.

Thanks! Depends on what you grew up shooting I think.

-Mark

Learned on those .306's for deer season back in Wisconsin... :)

Grab one of each for me when they hit your shelves...

Thanx, DISC

MrPlink
09-23-2010, 4:50 PM
Where's the hammerhead for us AK guys? ! ? Since MMG no longer makes ak models, the only commercial choice is the Solar Fin.
If nobody taps this market, I just might :)

Exile Machine
09-23-2010, 5:03 PM
Where's the hammerhead for us AK guys? ! ?

PM inbound.

Meanwhile, have you tried a Monsterman with the AR/AK pistol grip adapter that ACE sells (http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=326)?

-Mark

CHS
09-23-2010, 7:00 PM
Meanwhile, have you tried a Monsterman with the AR/AK pistol grip adapter that ACE sells (http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=326)?

That's exactly what the Monsterman AK grip was originally.

The ONLY difference is that the Monsterman had a line drawn on it showing where you should cut a little material off of to fit the AK.

But the AK Monsterman and the AR Monsterman were the identical product. The AK one just came with that line and the ACE grip adapter.