PDA

View Full Version : Crap dogs, P2K was busy today (or how to make your range session more fun).

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 4:30 PM
Who would have thought that would happen at 2 pm on a Thursday. One great thing about being a student is that I have the free time to go to the range when most folks are at work. It didn't happen that way today. A family of about 10 came into shoot all at once, and while I love to see people getting their families into shooting, I couldn't check out for quite some time.

The great thing about P2K though, is that they don't seem to mind rapid fire on their range. So I started out with some failure drills with my Glock 17, a few hundred rounds of PMC 9mm ball, and by the end of my practice session the speed was where I wanted it to be. I'm no Sevigny but I was pleased with the session. After that I loaded up two mags of CorBon PowR'Ball defensive loads and proceeded to "qualify" by my own unscientifically constructed standards.

3 rounds in 10 seconds center mass at 25 yards.

5 rounds in 5 seconds center mass at 10 yards.

3x failure drills (two rounds to the chest and one to the head) 3 seconds each at 7 yards with a reload.

3 rounds in two seconds center mass at 5 yards.

After scoring my hits I found that I had gotten 180 out of 200 points according to my own peculiar scoring system. Not my best day. :(

Just as a suggestion to new shooters, your range time will be a lot more fun if you set goals for yourself. Devise a qualification system like I did, or try to beat your best time at a specific distance. You will get a lot more out of your range time than the 2 guys who were next to me on the range blasting away and burning off 500 rounds in about ten minutes. There is nothing wrong with that if you are just having a little fun, but if you are training to defend your home really TRAIN. It will be worth it.

viet4lifeOC
09-02-2010, 5:19 PM
ALL to TRUE..thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I go to firing line in Huntington Beach where there is a minimum distance of 21 feet and no rapid fire. No use of use of holster. etc. SUCKS

gorenut
09-02-2010, 5:20 PM
What? So busting out your shiniest gun in the biggest caliber, blasting down the general range of the target without regards of hitting paper or not, then smiling at the guy next to you isn't a good enough goal? :D

gorenut
09-02-2010, 5:22 PM

Unfortunately, I go to firing line in Huntington Beach where there is a minimum distance of 21 feet and no rapid fire. No use of use of holster. etc. SUCKS

You shoot at Firing Line? By the end of the year, Field Time in Westminster will be opening a range. Maybe that'll end up being better. They already have an archery range set up. Plus Steve at Field Time is great to have a talk with, he used to work at Firing Line too.

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 5:23 PM

How lame is that? How do these ranges expect people to be able to train flexibly?

Fjold
09-02-2010, 5:24 PM
If you really want to set goals and improve yourself try IPSC or USPSA competitions. Draw and shoot, shoot on the move, decide the best order of engagement, moving targets, etc.

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 5:24 PM
What? So busting out your shiniest gun in the biggest caliber, blasting down the general range of the target without regards of hitting paper or not, then smiling at the guy next to you isn't a good enough goal? :D

Hells yeah it is. But it looks even better when you can hit something, haha.

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 5:27 PM
If you really want to set goals and improve yourself try IPSC or USPSA competitions. Draw and shoot, shoot on the move, decide the best order of engagement, moving targets, etc.

I was talking about this with a guy at my local store recently. IDPA or IPSC or whatever is probably the best way to train yourself to shoot and react in stressful situations. You can't simulate stress. Either it's there or it isn't and you need to get used to feeling it. Competition was the biggest factor in making me a better shooter.

diego-ted
09-02-2010, 5:37 PM
Yea, I have had no problems with unloading at P2k. Are you talkiing about the one in Ranch San Dog? Is there only one P2K?

Diego

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 5:38 PM
Yeah, they are the only one I know of.

Massan
09-02-2010, 9:58 PM
I like P2k, environment is pretty nice and their setup isnt bad either. I dont like their no holster rule though, that kind of puts a ding in my shooting drills.

OneSevenDeuce
09-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I like P2k, environment is pretty nice and their setup isnt bad either. I dont like their no holster rule though, that kind of puts a ding in my shooting drills.

Yeah, I thought they didn't allow holsters too but I have seen a few guys do it anyway. I may have to clarify this rule. Either they allow it now or these guys just haven't been caught.

Mista Fosta
09-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Its probably terrible, but when I go to the rifle range on my own I take a peek at my neighbor shooter's target through my spotter and see if I can beat his groups. (Generally its someone with a scoped AR, since those are so popular at the range I frequent) I only use iron sights so when I blow away their groups it makes me smile. Petty, I know but its fun.

23 Blast
09-03-2010, 6:26 AM
Going to the range with a goal in mind is definitely a boon to improvement, as opposed to simply blasting away at the target with no rhyme or reason other than attempting smallish groups. It's kind of how, when I used to go to the golf driving range, I'd simulate playing a hole in my mind (well, not the putting part, just the drive and approach shots) which made me concentrate and try to hit where I aimed instead of just whaling away at the ball.

That said, the majority of people I see at the range seem like they just want to burn ammo, not shoot straight. I'm an extremely mediocre shot myself, but I'd estimate that at least 80% of the shooters I see at the range I frequent are worse than I am, and that's saying a lot. Oh well, I guess it's similar to those guys at the golf range who would buy a bucket of balls and just see how far they could drive (or more often, slice) the ball with the biggest driver they could find.

diego-ted
09-03-2010, 6:26 AM
Yeah, I thought they didn't allow holsters too but I have seen a few guys do it anyway. I may have to clarify this rule. Either they allow it now or these guys just haven't been caught.

You can wear the holster, you can't drew from it and fire.

Diego

OneSevenDeuce
09-03-2010, 7:41 AM
Going to the range with a goal in mind is definitely a boon to improvement, as opposed to simply blasting away at the target with no rhyme or reason other than attempting smallish groups. It's kind of how, when I used to go to the golf driving range, I'd simulate playing a hole in my mind (well, not the putting part, just the drive and approach shots) which made me concentrate and try to hit where I aimed instead of just whaling away at the ball.

That said, the majority of people I see at the range seem like they just want to burn ammo, not shoot straight. I'm an extremely mediocre shot myself, but I'd estimate that at least 80% of the shooters I see at the range I frequent are worse than I am, and that's saying a lot. Oh well, I guess it's similar to those guys at the golf range who would buy a bucket of balls and just see how far they could drive (or more often, slice) the ball with the biggest driver they could find.

The interesting thing to me is that the people who go to the range to blast away are not people I see very often. The ones I see at the range again and again are the ones writing notes, marking their targets, and sighting in. I think the blasters just get bored after not too long. And I can see why. If you are going to the range just to feel recoil then it can get pretty old.

OneSevenDeuce
09-03-2010, 7:46 AM
You can wear the holster, you can't drew from it and fire.

Diego

Yeah, that sounds about right. I did all my shooting from the indoor carry yesterday.